The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

1 hour ago, sc49er said:

Is anovos.com a good place to get started into building a storm trooper kit or are there better options?

There are better options, look at the first page in this thread to see vetted makers, armor wise Anovos is great but they have trouble to deliver in a timely manner. Good luck:salute:

2 hours ago, sc49er said:

Is anovos.com a good place to get started into building a storm trooper kit or are there better options?

Anovos makes a decent, screen accurate set of armor no doubt.  A bit overpriced in my opinion, and the ABS is a bit thinner than most, but one of my kits is from them and no major problems.  BUT...

Their customer service is absolutely disgraceful.  There have been cases of people waiting over a year, after being promised a month or so.  They were removed from our "vetted seller" list for this reason.

There are many more armorers who's products are just as good (if not better) and have incredible service/communication.  Many of them for a price that is less expensive.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:28 AM, Sacredprey said:

looking for death trooper armor 

and how to order

There's only a couple makers of Rogue One Death Troopers at the moment- I'd head over to the Spec Ops Detachment, which is what they're under: https://specops501st.com/  They'll know best and be able to help you out.  

Now, if you mean the zombie Stormtroopers, from the book Death Troopers (which came first, incidentally), then you're in the right place: check out the vetted vendors list for a TK kit, and then you'll assemble mostly normally, but add weathering, broken bits, gore, etc.  Check out the build thread section for both normal and zombie troopers.

Just, whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM EBAY, and other commercially available sources.  For a full list of reasons, see the vetted maker list and this thread. 

Edited by sharkbait
  • Like 1

I was lucky and was able to get an Anovos  OT TK kit when they first came out. I would definitely go with with another maker if I were to want to build another TK which I will most likely do, and make it a Sandy. I had so much fun making the armor and am looking forward to doing it again.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, sharkbait said:

There's only a couple makers of Rogue One Death Troopers at the moment- I'd head over to the Spec Ops Detachment, which is what they're under: https://specops501st.com/  They'll know best and be able to help you out.  

Now, if you mean the zombie Stormtroopers, from the book Death Troopers (which came first, incidentally), then you're in the right place: check out the vetted vendors list for a TK kit, and then you'll assemble mostly normally, but add weathering, broken bits, gore, etc.  Check out the build thread section for both normal and zombie troopers.

Just, whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM EBAY, and other commercially available sources.  For a full list of reasons, see the vetted maker list and this thread. 

ty i will check into that

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Arch99 said:

Had a question about the TK shadow trooper kit, does anyone know who is vetted for making that kit?

Also was wondering the same question about the rouge one death trooper and who makes this kit?

You'll find the Spec Ops looks after both the Shadow and Death Troopers so jump on their forum, I'm sure they'll have some info for you

28 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You'll find the Spec Ops looks after both the Shadow and Death Troopers so jump on their forum, I'm sure they'll have some info for you

Thanks.

Just of of curiosity if you were going to get one what would you pick the shadow or death trooper?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arch99 said:

Thanks.

Just of of curiosity if you were going to get one what would you pick the shadow or death trooper?

There are pro's and con's for both, I'd say you would be able to move around easier with a ST than a DT. ST"s are not from a movie and DT's so would you like a more public recognisable costume?. Pricing may have an impact on your decision also, it's really a personal decision, which one interests you the most, which one do you think the public will recognise the most.

Oh BTW there was an image form the new Mandalorian series set showing a DT so I'm sure they'll be getting some more screen time ;) 

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

There are pro's and con's for both, I'd say you would be able to move around easier with a ST than a DT. ST"s are not from a movie and DT's so would you like a more public recognisable costume?. Pricing may have an impact on your decision also, it's really a personal decision, which one interests you the most, which one do you think the public will recognise the most.

Oh BTW there was an image form the new Mandalorian series set showing a DT so I'm sure they'll be getting some more screen time ;) 

Yeah I'm sure the DT will likely be a bit more than the ST for sure.

You have a good point not sure how many people will recognize the ST.

I may just half to start with a standard TK for my first kit then get either a ST or DT as my second.

• Like 1

Just now, Arch99 said:

Yeah I'm sure the DT will likely be a bit more than the ST for sure.

You have a good point not sure how many people will recognize the ST.

I may just half to start with a standard TK for my first kit then get either a ST or DT as my second.

Can't go wrong with a TK most recognisable bad guy after Vader, and the second most asked for costume in our event requests. You'll learn a lot from a TK build which will help when you go on to your next build. Good luck with your decision, hope to see a build thread from you soon.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Can't go wrong with a TK most recognisable bad guy after Vader, and the second most asked for costume in our event requests. You'll learn a lot from a TK build which will help when you go on to your next build. Good luck with your decision, hope to see a build thread from you soon.

Yeah I almost had mine last November but didn't pan out as I had hopped a major snafu on my side.

My plan is trying to get it this year and start tropping with my squad, I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Had a question about the TK shadow trooper kit, does anyone know who is vetted for making that kit?
   Also was wondering the same question about the rouge one death trooper and who makes this kit?

Spec Ops detachment is the best place for those answers. Walt does make a Shadow kit however.

Jim Moser
TK-50899

Ok have a good question for everyone?

What's the main difference in quality between AP and WTF Walt?

I heard nothing but good reviews about AP and that AP is made for taller folks.

But have not heard much about WTF and their kits and if its for tall folks?

1 hour ago, Arch99 said:

I've never heard anything about WTF and how good of quality they have.

All you have to do is look in the build sections for WTF in the headings and you'll be able to see the kits in person, to my knowledge everyone who has purchased a kit from Walt has been happy with them.

• Like 1

I've never heard anything about WTF and how good of quality they have.

I have a regular WTF kit and it’s been solid for the past 3 years. I have also built 2 others while building two for charity. Walt and crew keep improving their molds and can say for a fact that they just keep getting better.

That being said ALL of the makers on the vetted list make fantastic kits and it really boils down to how long you are willing to wait and how much you want to spend.

Jim Moser
TK-50899

4 minutes ago, MoSc0ut said:

I have a regular WTF kit and it’s been solid for the past 3 years. I have also built 2 others while building two for charity. Walt and crew keep improving their molds and can say for a fact that they just keep getting better.

That being said ALL of the makers on the vetted list make fantastic kits and it really boils down to how long you are willing to wait and how much you want to spend.

Jim Moser
TK-50899

That's good to hear from someone with a WTF kit, in assuming you have the standard TK kit from them right?

If you don't mind me asking about what was the price for a WTF kit?

Have all your kits you bought been from WTF or have you bought from others?

That's good to hear from someone with a WTF kit, in assuming you have the standard TK kit from them right?
   If you don't mind me asking about what was the price for a WTF kit?
    Have all your kits you bought been from WTF or have you bought from others?

3 years ago I paid $650 USD + shipping. I haven’t bought any other kits but there are all kinds of kits in our Garrison and they range from the price I paid to a full commission kit from RS at around $2,000.
ATA, Anovos, RT-MOD, etc.

All said and done with boots, holster and blaster I am in it about $1,500. I sewed my own belt and neck seal and saved some $ there!

You can see my build here:
http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild
I go into detail of my process and cost a bit.

Jim Moser
TK-50899

6 minutes ago, Arch99 said:

What do people think of AM armor is it any good or stay away from?

I was told AM is built for taller and bigger people.

You will find quite a few build threads for AM armor with many happy owners ;)