The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Hi Everyone,

I have ordered a full commission TK from RS Prop Masters and I am a bit nervous about the measurements given that I am in Canada and they are in the UK. I have asked them for a bit of clarification as to whether or not a discrepancy of 1/8-1/4 inches is a big deal, but the response I received was that they needed my 'exact' measurements. Does anyone have any experience with this process? I would like some assurance that a small change in body positioning isn't going to render the armor unwearable.

I don’t have experience with ordering but having built armor I don’t see any issues if you error on the side of caution and it’s a bit bigger the difference your looking at is easily fixable with foam if needed, but I honestly don’t think you will. If you go small some pieces might not fit right but again something that can be fixed with a bit more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the RS Propmasters completed sets, and they have an option for PVC or ABS. It sounds like the PVC is a brighter crisper white. Are both approved for use in 501? Is it just my preference? Is there somewhere else I should be posting this or looking for the answer? TIA

2 hours ago, Remus said:

Looking at the RS Propmasters completed sets, and they have an option for PVC or ABS. It sounds like the PVC is a brighter crisper white. Are both approved for use in 501? Is it just my preference? Is there somewhere else I should be posting this or looking for the answer? TIA

Both are approvable when built correctly

On 7/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, Kjaskaar said:

Certainly, so at the current moment I'm mostly looking for something to just wear around, but I do like the idea of future proofing if I found the time to dedicate to 501st. Basically, rubies is a bad idea for me. 

From what I'm seeing there's no way of making a full set happen on my budget and I'll be stuck with a kit, a shame as I've already dropped about two grand on my E11 build. Does that sound about right? Its hard to check pricing without getting a quote from each maker.

From what I'm seeing, an anovos kit looks like my best bet. Perhaps someone else has something better but they've got a better web presence anyway. I'm hesitant to build it myself but hey, if that's what it takes. 

For reference, I'm 5'11 and about 160lbs, perfect for a trooper. Currently in the US as well, so UK options may be limited.

Check out Walt's Trooper Factory.  That is where I got my TK from.  I'm about your size 6' 175 lbs and his armor fits me just fine.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 6:51 PM, Zam said:

Cool. Thanks for the info :-)

I tried contacting trooper7@shaw.ca and it returned as not deliverable. Is that the correct address for an RT-mod?

Edited by Baron41

3 hours ago, Baron41 said:

I tried contacting trooper7@shaw.ca and it returned as not deliverable. Is that the correct address for an RT-mod?

It was the last time I knew. Did you retry later?

If he's home ypu can get a response in a day or two. If you sent it the day he leaves for work. Which is weeks at a time IIRC. You can sometimes think he isn't responding. Plus when he does get back he has to read and answer all emails, yours included. That can take a bit. Once I got him the couple back and forth chats were quick. I waited a bit. He does answer.

The reward of having RT-MOD means you are a master at patience!

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Hi folks:

I'm getting to the age where I have some semblance of disposable income, and thus have been attempting to go down the list of "things I've always wanted."  One of these things is a suit of trooper armor, and around last Halloween I started looking into the various options.  I'd been pretty much set on getting a suit from https://www.stormtrooperstore.com/ , but thankfully decided to do some research here.  I haven't seen any mention of this vendor on this forum, but their About Us page does say:

We are proud to work in association with JediRobeAmerica. JediRobeAmerica.com is without question one of the most popular Star Wars Shops on our Planet.

So, the search continued...

I originally set out to just get something fun to have for Halloween and the like, but after all my research, it seems much more worthwhile to get some proper armor.  Joining the 501st is also something I've always wanted to do (I'd just figured I'd do it later), and reading this forum has gotten me even more interested.

I'm gravitating towards an RS Propmasters pre-built (ANH, ABS), but admittedly I'm having a bit of a hard time justifying the cost.  What other options would people recommend?  I'm about 5'10, probably 160-165lb, so I'm generally pretty easy to fit.  I'm pretty hesitant to have to assemble a first suit; I'm not overly crafty and wouldn't want to spend the money only to mess up the trimming/assembly.  If it helps, I'm in the Bay Area, so the Golden Gate Garrison would be my local.  I follow their Facebook page, but all the Events are just their public events; I'm not sure how to go about finding armor parties and the like.

Can anyone provide advice on how to find local armor parties?  Also, any suggestions for/against going the RS route would be appreciated.  Finally, is it realistic for me to, if I act now, get a suit by Halloween this year?  Thanks in advance everyone; such a great community.

• Like 1

Hi folks:

I'm getting to the age where I have some semblance of disposable income, and thus have been attempting to go down the list of "things I've always wanted."  One of these things is a suit of trooper armor, and around last Halloween I started looking into the various options.  I'd been pretty much set on getting a suit from https://www.stormtrooperstore.com/ , but thankfully decided to do some research here.  I haven't seen any mention of this vendor on this forum, but their About Us page does say:

We are proud to work in association with JediRobeAmerica. JediRobeAmerica.com is without question one of the most popular Star Wars Shops on our Planet.

I originally set out to just get something fun to have for Halloween and the like, but after all my research, it seems much more worthwhile to get some proper armor.  Joining the 501st is also something I've always wanted to do (I'd just figured I'd do it later), and reading this forum has gotten me even more interested.

I'm gravitating towards an RS Propmasters pre-built (ANH, ABS), but admittedly I'm having a bit of a hard time justifying the cost.  What other options would people recommend?  I'm about 5'10, probably 160-165lb, so I'm generally pretty easy to fit.  I'm pretty hesitant to have to assemble a first suit; I'm not overly crafty and wouldn't want to spend the money only to mess up the trimming/assembly.  If it helps, I'm in the Bay Area, so the Golden Gate Garrison would be my local.  I follow their Facebook page, but all the Events are just their public events; I'm not sure how to go about finding armor parties and the like.

Can anyone provide advice on how to find local armor parties?  Also, any suggestions for/against going the RS route would be appreciated.  Finally, is it realistic for me to, if I act now, get a suit by Halloween this year?  Thanks in advance everyone; such a great community.

Your local Garrison should have their own forum and that’s where you’ll find the info on armor parties and local events. There should be a new / prospective member section where you can comment.

As for armor all of our approved vendors are great some like RT mod are meant for bigger folks (not you) so RS, ATA, WTF, etc are all fantastic and will fit once trimmed properly. I troop Walt’s TK kit and it has held up well these past two years. He has a FB page and a lot of support there. He’s usually pretty quick to get your kit to you as well. That being said my Garrison has just about every other maker represented as well and they all look great! That’s just my personal experience.

Here’s the link to their web page, use the contact us link at the bottom.
http://www.501stggg.com

Jim M
TK-50899

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Actionsdower said:

Hi folks:

I would still suggest attempting to build your kit. Great experience and if you ever decide to do a First Order, Deathtrooper or any myriad of other costumes a great way to get your sea legs as they are even more work to assemble.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:18 PM, Harbinger said:

I would still suggest attempting to build your kit. Great experience and if you ever decide to do a First Order, Deathtrooper or any myriad of other costumes a great way to get your sea legs as they are even more work to assemble.

Yeah, I can totally see the benefits of that.  I just can't get over the thought that I'll mess something up get discouraged.  Also I live in a tiny house and lack a good workspace and most of the required tools.  So I think I'm gonna go the RS route.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that this hobby is like most hobbies.  And by that I mean that as soon as you get one costume, you immediately start thinking of which one you want to get next.  So I have an inkling that there are opportunities to assemble armor in my future.  I also won't live in this tiny house forever.

On 6/9/2018 at 12:48 AM, Actionsdower said:

Yeah, I can totally see the benefits of that.  I just can't get over the thought that I'll mess something up get discouraged.  Also I live in a tiny house and lack a good workspace and most of the required tools.  So I think I'm gonna go the RS route.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that this hobby is like most hobbies.  And by that I mean that as soon as you get one costume, you immediately start thinking of which one you want to get next.  So I have an inkling that there are opportunities to assemble armor in my future.  I also won't live in this tiny house forever.

Oh yes once you have that first costume you want more. It's like a virus. 

4 hours ago, Quakecry said:

Oh yes once you have that first costume you want more. It's like a virus. 

Or Cheetos, lol.  Just ask Glen (gmrhodes13), I think he is up to 20 different costumes!

Or Toddo.  I think he is the current record holder at 34 distinct costumes, including a TD, 6 TXs, and 7 TKs.  IIRC he is the record holder for most EI awards at 7.

https://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=14008

On 6/12/2018 at 11:51 PM, Daetrin said:

Or Toddo.  I think he is the current record holder at 34 distinct costumes, including a TD, 6 TXs, and 7 TKs.  IIRC he is the record holder for most EI awards at 7.

https://www.501st.com/members/displaymemberdetails.php?userID=14008

Holy shucks. His GML probably don't even look at his stuff anymore when he sends an applicant mail for another costume. Just instantly approves:lol:

Edited by Quakecry

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TK3443 said:

Does anyone have an updated email for jimmiroqui? I just sent one out, but it came back undeliverable. Thanks in advance.

you can contact him via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jim.tripon

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 1:39 PM, Hydraken said:

Does anyone here have experience on the newer version AM kits? I’m looking to go right to TK centurion level with my first build(hopefully). Also, the only difference between ANH stunt and ESB on centurion level is the placement of holster, holster straps and gloves?Any advice for this noob would be great! Thanks!

I have AM 2.0, and got to Centurion.  I did replace the back plate with an RT-Mod, because at the time the CRL indicated the AM back plate was to be replaced with a more accurate version, but to my knowledge, the current AM is fine as-is.  I do know the AM 2.0 chest is fine, but AM 1.0 would need to be replaced.  If you're getting a new kit direct from them, it will be the current version, so no need to worry about 1.0.  

Differences are subtle: helmet has black frown, decals not hand-painted or hand-painted-look decals on the helmet (you can get the decals off Trooperbay.com).  Lenses are flat smoke or green (I personally prefer smoke to go with the black frown).  Holster is black looped and on the right (Darman makes excellent holsters, I have four of them, and will add more as I get more blasters).  Hand guards are the Snowie hand guards, and attached either with a black elastic strap or the sewing pattern (there's a tutorial on that on here).  You can do black chemical gloves with the elastic strap attachment, or you can do silk gloves with the sewing attachment.   I cheat a little in that I have the chemical gloves, but I also have a spare pair of Nomex for long troops or summer troops, and the elastic band attachment means I can swap out.  (Silk are harder to wash, and in hot weather like we get around here, chemical gloves collect sweat like nobody's business).  The E-11 is a parred down version of ANH, no ammo counter, no cord, maybe something else, but basically it's a ANH with some stuff removed (I have a Hyperfirm, so I didn't have to think, just ordered an ESB version- Lewis/Slave5 makes great Hyperfirms, and his b-grades are almost indistinguishable from his a-grades).  Pretty sure I got them all... sometimes when I rattle them off I forget one or two little details.  They're all mostly little details. 

There's a handful of ESB Centurion threads, I'd check those out, those should make things pretty clear as to what you're shooting for.  To my knowledge, most all TK armors come with the parts to be either ANH, ESB or Sandie.  I know AM does, because mine did.  The only one I wouldn't be sure about on that would be Anovos- I've not heard of anyone doing ESB with Anovos.  I've seen a handful of people selling their extra parts for Sandies that came with their kits, so it's also possible to grab the conversion pieces on the forums, just keep an eye out.  I'd just indicate when ordering what you're planning to do, to make sure you at the very least get that kit set up/extras.  

I would also vouch for AM- I love mine.  I troop a lot, and fairly hard, and it's held up great over the last two years.  It's a nice thickness and has good bend to it.  

Glad to see another aiming for Centurion!  Good luck!  Ask any questions you come across- it makes life so much easier, and then your Centurion will be in the bag.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...