The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Thanks for the quick response guys I really appreciate it .

Oh yeah, and expect to spend between $800-1000 when all said and done. (Boots, Blaster, storage box, and all the little bits and pieces you'll discover, quickly add up!)

Jim - TK50899

I estimated the full costs to be around $900 give or take (good to know that i wasn't that far off ;)).

• Like 2

Woo! I made it through all 48 pages. Glad I did, as a lot of the questions I had were answered. On the shorter side at 5'7", 160-ish pounds, I think that I've determined AP would be a good option for my first build--I'm hoping for a sandtrooper that I want to get to level 3/SWAT approval and start trooping. I emailed Mark a few days ago through a link on TK409's webpage. I keep getting returned-undeliverable emails from Chris (TK409, copied on the email link) but haven't heard anything yet from Mark. Hopefully my email went through to him and I hear something soon, as I'd like to get in line for my order. I might also contact some of the other builders that have been mentioned just for my due diligence on pricing and availability. I've been a fan of the 501st for years and really want to get involved ASAP. Thanks for this site and the wealth of info. I have a friend that built a TK years ago before resources like this were available and he had to do a LOT of work to find stuff. This is way easier.

Get in touch with ABS80 (member here) for your AP kit

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to the end! So much info. I admit, I broke before I finished and contacted Mark at AP to get some info. Broke a little more and plunged in. But, at 5'11" & 165 with a 36 inch waist (when did that happen?), I'm pretty sure I made a solid choice. I'm actually giddy and can't wait to get started!

• Like 1

I noticed a couple of times here that someone has mentioned ordering a size larger from TKBoots. Is that simply a UK vs US sizing difference, or do they actually run small?

I believe TK Boots usually are fairly true to size (although all of these boots are on the narrow side, so consider sizing up if you have wide feet). Imperial Boots run small. As Mark said, though, some like the larger size for thicker socks, or insoles, or just wider feet.
  • Like 1

I believe TK Boots usually are fairly true to size (although all of these boots are on the narrow side, so consider sizing up if you have wide feet). Imperial Boots run small. As Mark said, though, some like the larger size for thicker socks, or insoles, or just wider feet.

Well, I have kind of narrow feet, but excellent point regarding extra socks. Even Texas gets cold sometimes.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be some confusion in some areas about AM armor. AM Armor is made by TK Armor in the US (NOT TK Armour in the UK). TK Armor makes the AM and AM 2.0 armor and some were calling AM armor NE armor. TK Armor is also the one doing the TK Boots. His web site is www.mytkarmor.com. Hope this helps.

Edited by whosdachief

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just finished reading through all 48 pages of this thread, and the getting started threads, and introduced myself.  I live in SoCal and am looking to do my first build.  I am budgeting $1,000 to $1,500, which seems about right from what I have been reading.  I have looked at a couple of websites, Anovos and RS Propmasters, both of which are vetted vendors.

I was at Disneyland a couple days ago, and saw a fully completed kit, minus boots and a blaster for about $1,800.  And then they told me that they are supplied by Anovos.  Anovos seems to have a good kit for $650, but they said I would need to do the assembly.  I am not that handy as a single Dad to 3 children (which 1 is very crafty), and I have friends that are handy/crafty.

I am 5'7" about 165 pounds, with a slight beer gut.

I am looking to at first getting to the basic approval guidelines, and eventually to obtain the next level.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Sean

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have just finished reading through all 48 pages of this thread, and the getting started threads, and introduced myself. I live in SoCal and am looking to do my first build. I am budgeting $1,000 to $1,500, which seems about right from what I have been reading. I have looked at a couple of websites, Anovos and RS Propmasters, both of which are vetted vendors.

I was at Disneyland a couple days ago, and saw a fully completed kit, minus boots and a blaster for about $1,800. And then they told me that they are supplied by Anovos. Anovos seems to have a good kit for $650, but they said I would need to do the assembly. I am not that handy as a single Dad to 3 children (which 1 is very crafty), and I have friends that are handy/crafty.

I am 5'7" about 165 pounds, with a slight beer gut.

I am looking to at first getting to the basic approval guidelines, and eventually to obtain the next level.

Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Sean

ANOVOS is a good kit and LFL approved but most of the other kits are around the same price, give or take. I am partial to Walt's Trooper Factory TK kit. It's what I own and built. Not that it's any better than other kits, all the vetted vendors kits are awesome. Walt and his team are fantastic and the community that has sprung up around his armor are very supportive and kind. He is also a vetted vendor. You can find Walt's Trooper Factory on Facebook. Wait time is about 6 weeks from payment to Big Brown Box Day too. But ultimately it's up to your preference. I am about the same build as you. You can check out my build thread here: http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild take a look and decide for yourself. Most of all have fun and welcome to the dark side!

Jim-TK50899

Hello everyone,

I am new to the armor building and making. I have always wanted a full armor set since the day I started watching Star Wars. I have been tempted by the Rubies costumes and other look a likes, but this and the 501st forums and saved me from spending a sithlike amount of money on something that needs so much work to be approved. I live in Parkesburg WV and Marietta OH area and was wondering if you can point me to the correct garrison?

I really need help finding a good set of armor,where to buy it, building it. Anovos has a set that I can pre-order for 450 without soft goods. Is that a good price? Should I get the soft goods package for an extra 200? Should I keep looking? I am feeling just slightly overwhelmed and any help would be great!! :)

Nathan 

Hello everyone,

I am new to the armor building and making. I have always wanted a full armor set since the day I started watching Star Wars. I have been tempted by the Rubies costumes and other look a likes, but this and the 501st forums and saved me from spending a sithlike amount of money on something that needs so much work to be approved. I live in Parkesburg WV and Marietta OH area and was wondering if you can point me to the correct garrison?

I really need help finding a good set of armor,where to buy it, building it. Anovos has a set that I can pre-order for 450 without soft goods. Is that a good price? Should I get the soft goods package for an extra 200? Should I keep looking? I am feeling just slightly overwhelmed and any help would be great!! :)

Nathan

Nathan,

You can get your own soft goods for way less than $200. A set of all black underarmor, gloves and a neck seal will set you back $150 total, if that. That's all that they provide as soft goods. You still have to buy your own boots.

As in my comment just above this there are a ton of options and be aware that certain armors fit certain body types better than others. Re-read the first post carefully and make some notes and inquire from the different makers. Also review the build threads on different armor types this is the best way to see which one is right for you.

Also remember this isn't a cheap hobby. Expect to spend, at the very least, $850ish and that's if you are crafty and can sew, like me! Most spend $1100-$1200 by the time they are approved. I'm at about $1000 now because of adding things like a Hyperfirm blaster and various bits and pieces to give my TK a "voice".

Best of luck! Feel free to contact any of us if you need more help.

Jim-TK50899

Edited by MoSc0ut

Hello,

So I bought an Anovos TK kit and just never have the time to build it. I am considering selling it except for the helmet... Can anybody point me to the right thread or something if I want to sell the armor? It has all the soft goods included in the kit. I've had it for 10months now, and its just sitting in the box... I also got some glue, snaps, and other materials you may need.

Seriously thinking about this. I know this is a forum where there's love for SW, and dont get me wrong, I LOVE SW, but I just don't know if I can commit to suiting up...

Sure, use the personal for sale area. It's a personal choice, but I can't see ever retiring from trooping after my first one in 2005.

• Like 1

So I have contacted Walt from the Vetted vendors and he has a TK kit for sale around 650. Anovos has a TK kit for sale for 450. Is the quality difference between the two worth 200? The more I save the more I can spend of paint and such. But if paying that extra 200 gives me an easier time to put together I will spend it.

So I have contacted Walt from the Vetted vendors and he has a TK kit for sale around 650. Anovos has a TK kit for sale for 450. Is the quality difference between the two worth 200? The more I save the more I can spend of paint and such. But if paying that extra 200 gives me an easier time to put together I will spend it.

All kits are about the same to assemble. With the ANOVOS there are a few things to fix with the helmet, so you end up taking it apart, just to put it back together again. With Walt's you do it all. I am very happy with my WTF kit but several of my good friends have the ANOVOS and they look great too. As far as quality goes only time will tell. Walt's kit is from a thicker ABS so some of the details are a little bit "soft", it's super sturdy and will last a long time. ANOVOS has sharper detail as it is a thinner ABS. I'm told it is very flexible though as for long time durability I don't know. Walt also offers his in HIPS now too. He also has a "Hero" helmet if you want to go that route.

I mainly went with them because they were super nice and friendly and could get it to me faster than anyone else.

This may not have been super helpful but as mentioned before it's very important to do your research and get in touch with your local garrison. Go to a few troops as a spotter and check out their kits. If there is a local armor party then that's even better! Read through some build threads if you haven't already. Also check out the EIB and Centurion application sections. There are excellent pictures of all makes of armors in there.

All kits are about the same to assemble. With the ANOVOS there are a few things to fix with the helmet, so you end up taking it apart, just to put it back together again. With Walt's you do it all. I am very happy with my WTF kit but several of my good friends have the ANOVOS and they look great too. As far as quality goes only time will tell. Walt's kit is from a thicker ABS so some of the details are a little bit "soft", it's super sturdy and will last a long time. ANOVOS has sharper detail as it is a thinner ABS. I'm told it is very flexible though as for long time durability I don't know. 

Yeah, I have an Anovos. Though the kit looks great and the price is nice, I would recommend not getting the kit. I agree with Jim completely. My helmet already has two small cracks and my kidney armor is cracking as well. It can be really thin plastic, so in the future I'll definitely be getting a different kit.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have an Anovos. Though the kit looks great and the price is nice, I would recommend not getting the kit. I agree with Jim completely. My helmet already has two small cracks and my kidney armor is cracking as well. It can be really thin plastic, so in the future I'll definitely be getting a different kit.

Thank you for all of your input. I have decided to go with Walt! You all were a great help and I will look forward to reading your building threads!

• Like 1

ANOVOS is a good kit and LFL approved but most of the other kits are around the same price, give or take. I am partial to Walt's Trooper Factory TK kit. It's what I own and built. Not that it's any better than other kits, all the vetted vendors kits are awesome. Walt and his team are fantastic and the community that has sprung up around his armor are very supportive and kind. He is also a vetted vendor. You can find Walt's Trooper Factory on Facebook. Wait time is about 6 weeks from payment to Big Brown Box Day too. But ultimately it's up to your preference. I am about the same build as you. You can check out my build thread here: http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild take a look and decide for yourself. Most of all have fun and welcome to the dark side!

Jim-TK50899

Thank you Jim, I appreciate the info.  I am looking to go to 2 different armor parties this weekend, probably about an hour away drive each, to try to get some more info as well.  I am leaning toward Walt's right now.

Sean

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is extremely helpful, but i wonder if you TK vets could clarify one bit. Which kits are best, say,for ANH, ESB, etc, or does this really come down to paint and decal style of the buckt, ab buttons, etc?

Thanks,

ESB kits have the ab buttons included. ANH kits have the ab buttons glued on. Also the handguards differ. CfO is only for RotJ

I have a question about farawaycreations Tk. Have they been removed from the list or am I totally missing something? I came across a set of armour and wanna make sure it's worth the price. Any help would be great. Also sizing are they anh or what?

• 4 weeks later...

Newbie here! I need some suggestions. Looked up anovos and it said that their suits are designed for people up to 6'. I am 6'5" and 230. I don't want my size to ruin my chances of joining the 501st. What are my best options for my size?

I'm 6'3" and 220#, and I'm definitely pushing the limits of what the suit can handle, with minor modifications.

Two suits that are made specifically with larger troopers in mind are AM 2.0 and RT-Mod.  Those would probably be best suited to a trooper your size.

Hey people. Walt here. Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for all the kind words<br>

It is nice to hear this and I just wanted to thank you all for such great feedback. Not just on my kits but for all kits available <br>

We the armor makers really appreciate you All and thank you for allowing us to follow our dreams by making your dreams possible <br><br>

Now. ... get armor and get out trooping!!!!

• Like 6