The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Fantastic, this has all been super informative thank you guys so much! I've printed out the acronym library and keep combing it as people and dealers message me back! I was approached by the stormtroopercity individuals but the main page of this forum says not to buy from them, their stuff seems pretty good though. Any reasons as to why to not buy from them?

Also ideally I would like to become a member and so i would like to build to the specifications but I am more cost restricted and so I was reading and noticed that there may be the possibility of buying an FX model that a member may have as a second hand suit. Is there a specific thread for those selling old suits?

Again thank you for all the help!

DImitri if you are looking for a great set of armor and also are looking to become part of the 501st I would stick to the first page here and then some other great choices are MTK, WTF and NE. I would steer clear of FX at this point. The helmet is no longer approvable and the chest and back plate are far from accurate. I know 46 pages is a lot of reading but I would really try and get through this thread. It has most of the information you are looking for. Start contacting some of the vendors and get their pricing and wait times.

• Like 2

DImitri if you are looking for a great set of armor and also are looking to become part of the 501st I would stick to the first page here and then some other great choices are MTK, WTF and NE. I would steer clear of FX at this point. The helmet is no longer approvable and the chest and back plate are far from accurate. I know 46 pages is a lot of reading but I would really try and get through this thread. It has most of the information you are looking for. Start contacting some of the vendors and get their pricing and wait times.

I've contacted all the recommended vendors from the first page and I think I have found who i'm going for. I'll just need the boots, gloves, neck seal, under suit, canvas belt, holster and thermal det clips - but i'm assuming those are things i can find within the sell forums here. Are there build manuals for the majority of the suit kits that were recommended? I'm sure there are but there are an insane amount of forum threads in here!

Authenticprops (AP)

WARNING - Please measure your chest before purchase of this armor. I was told by Mark multiple times that his armor will fit a 49+ inch chest /w no gaps.. This was completely false and not accurate (Have the email conversations still)

This armor will not fit a 46+ inch chest, your best options are AM2.0 and RT-Mod.. 

Edited by TD42115

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a reason why WTF (Walt's Trooper Factory) armor is not listed as a vetted vendor on the OP? AFAIK, they do make approvable armor, while FX does not (and yet FX is listed and WTF is not)

Just curious, I don't actually have plans to buy another set of armor at this point, but I noticed the omission when I was looking up an email just now.

• Like 1

A post that you responded to on the last page actually answers that question, Kalani. 

"Walt's are approvable for any level of build, but because his armor is actually a blend of some of his own and some of makers that no longer produce theirs (he does have their permission and original bucks, from what I have found, after lengthy research and some speculation) he may never be on the "approved" maker list, but his armor is solid and of good quality."

• Like 2

Is there a reason why WTF (Walt's Trooper Factory) armor is not listed as a vetted vendor on the OP? AFAIK, they do make approvable armor, while FX does not (and yet FX is listed and WTF is not)

Just curious, I don't actually have plans to buy another set of armor at this point, but I noticed the omission when I was looking up an email just now.

It because he's not the original maker of the bucks that he's using to pull TK armor. He has full permissions from the original maker and he and his crew are outstanding to work with and the kit is outstanding quality. I just had my set approved and trooped it this past weekend! I'll be shooting for EIB and Cent once I finish my blaster and I am being told by many I should have no issues getting to those levels.

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

A post that you responded to on the last page actually answers that question, Kalani.

"Walt's are approvable for any level of build, but because his armor is actually a blend of some of his own and some of makers.......

Just beat me to it!! Lol!

Jim - TK50899

Figures. I wasn't going to scan through 45 pages of posts to look the question, so I appreciate the responses. :) I probably should have read back at least one page, though. *kicks dirt*

(although re-reading that post, I'd still prefer an actual "official" explanation... not that it actually matters)

Seem silly to me that it wouldn't be listed, under the circumstances. It's reliably approveable, and it sounds like there's nothing untoward or illicit about the armor's lineage, even if he didn't sculpt everything by hand in his own workshop.

Regardless, thanks for clearing up the mystery! :)

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

Figures. I wasn't going to scan through 45 pages of posts to look the question, so I appreciate the responses. :) I probably should have read back at least one page, though. *kicks dirt*

Seem silly to me that it wouldn't be listed, under the circumstances. It's reliably approveable, and it sounds like there's nothing untoward or illicit about the armor's lineage, even if he didn't sculpt everything by hand in his own workshop.

I agree with you, and if I had my druthers, I'd put him on the approved list.

I know he does make his own molds for other things, I don't see that it would take too much effort for him to recreate whichever molds he inherited so his whole kit would be *HIS* and he'd be eligible for the list.

On the other hand, he stays busy enough without the FISD endorsement, so why change?

• Like 2

He does have several other armor that are his own. I'm seeing evidence that soon he will have his own full TK set to offer and will be able to get on that list. He's just getting ready to make the WTF TK bucket available along side the Gino V2 that he currently includes with his TE2 derived "hybrid" armor. I find it very similar to ATA* with some minor differences that you see when you search images of TE2 armor. *the armor that is.

Jim M.

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 1

(although re-reading that post, I'd still prefer an actual "official" explanation... not that it actually matters)

I agree with you as well Kalani. Walt has a proven track record and has never steered anyone wrong. While on the same subject Mike (MTK) is in the same boat. However, you will find that some people will believe that they do not belong here because they casted parts of the TE2 and CAP which is always taboo. Both of them provide a great set of armor and I'm sure they will never be added to the list. But I'm starting to find out especially lately that this list isn't the be all end all. I just recently read someone accusing troopermaster of recasting TE. So there will always be people who feel a certain way about certain things. It doesn't change the fact that they all provide a great set of armor to make our legion look that much better! Edited by starsaber25
  • Like 2

I agree with you as well Kalani. Walt has a proven track record and has never steered anyone wrong. While on the same subject Mike (MTK) is in the same boat. However, you will find that some people will believe that they do not belong here because they recasted parts of the TE2 and CAP which is always taboo.

Just to be clear Walt did not recast TE2. There are several different lineages of TE2 armor (ATA being one of the more popular in recent years.) He got the original bucks and permission from an individual who previously was an approved armor maker who got out of the armor business. Part of the deal with Walt was that he is not supposed to say who that maker was. I own an approved set of Walt's armor and I can say it is NOT recast armor. The reason he cannot be approved at this time is he didn't create the original bucks.

Again Walt DOES NOT produce recast armor.

Before Walt offered his armor for sale there was a discussion with several "high ranking" officials from FISD and they approved and they also know the back story. Believe me, I did over a month of research on him and his operation and it all checks out.

This was the only the first reason I went with Walt. Second was Walt and his crews awesome customer service. Third, Price. Fourth, turn around time (1 day shy of 6 weeks).

Jim - TK50899

• Like 1

It because he's not the original maker of the bucks that he's using to pull TK armor. He has full permissions from the original maker and he and his crew are outstanding to work with and the kit is outstanding quality. I just had my set approved and trooped it this past weekend! I'll be shooting for EIB and Cent once I finish my blaster and I am being told by many I should have no issues getting to those levels.

Jim - TK50899

Actually this is not the case. He is not on the list because we typically want to see a track record of quality kit, integrity in sales & good communication. It takes at least 9-12 months to establish that. I'm sure the staff will meet soon enough once we are past that mark, if we are not already.

• Like 2

Actually this is not the case. He is not on the list because we typically want to see a track record of quality kit, integrity in sales & good communication. It takes at least 9-12 months to establish that. I'm sure the staff will meet soon enough once we are past that mark, if we are not already.

[embarrassed] I stand corrected. My apologies. Apparently my sources also had bad info. Thank you for setting me straight. This is good info indeed. If not already obvious, I'm a big supporter of Walt and all he does he makes a quality product and him and his crew are just all around good people, just like everyone else I've met from FISD.

I was wrong. Sorry.

Jim - TK50899

Walt spoke to me about where he got his moulds from and as it sits now I would be uncomfortable with adding him to the list. Now this doesn't speak about the quality itself but it's less than ideal for the list.

If there has been an update however, I'd like to hear that from Walt. My inbox is always open.

• Like 1

Hello! 

Like everyone else posting here I too am a newbie. I'm from Australia and have only just started looking into getting my first kit after years of procrastinating.

So... I hate to be that guy who asks everything everyone else has already asked so apologies if I am making anyone repeat themselves ad nauseum, *but*...

First of all, someone in one of the previous posts mentioned they had printed off the acronym library - can someone please tell me where this is because I can't see it at all!

Secondly, being from Australia, is there a supplier that can help me with my trooper kit? Or do I have to order from the US/UK? Oh yeah, I am also just about 6 foot tall and about 68kgs if that helps. 

I actually want to go with a Phasma kit but looking at everything am feeling very overwhelmed and think it will be extremely difficult to get this, so thinking I should just settle for my next choice of a ESB Stormtrooper.

Thanks so much and may the (Dark side of) the Force be with you!

Edited by ChewBekahRoars

On 6/21/2016 at 6:32 PM, ChewBekahRoars said:

Hello! 

Like everyone else posting here I too am a newbie. I'm from Australia and have only just started looking into getting my first kit after years of procrastinating.

So... I hate to be that guy who asks everything everyone else has already asked so apologies if I am making anyone repeat themselves ad nauseum, *but*...

First of all, someone in one of the previous posts mentioned they had printed off the acronym library - can someone please tell me where this is because I can't see it at all!

Secondly, being from Australia, is there a supplier that can help me with my trooper kit? Or do I have to order from the US/UK? Oh yeah, I am also just about 6 foot tall and about 68kgs if that helps. 

I actually want to go with a Phasma kit but looking at everything am feeling very overwhelmed and think it will be extremely difficult to get this, so thinking I should just settle for my next choice of a ESB Stormtrooper.

Thanks so much and may the (Dark side of) the Force be with you!

I think this is the thread you're referring to?

http://501st.com.au If not, US or UK may be your best bets.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 12:53 AM, kman said:

I think this is the thread you're referring to?

http://501st.com.au If not, US or UK may be your best bets.

Brilliant! Thanks very much - there is so much to look at and I guess I got a little overwhelmed LOL

I'll check with the SCG and see if they can recommend an Aussie armour maker :)

Thank you!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1

TK Brethren,

Is there an updated list of providers? I see 46 pages here. Wondering if I can find a shortcut. Looking for a good provider in the states: 

Criteria:
Classic Trooper
Would not like to wait 6-10 months

Would like something pre-trimmed.

Screen accurate

USA provider

I know of Walt's Trooper Factory and KB props. What other providers should I consider? 

Thoughts? Thanks for your help! 

TK Brethren,

Is there an updated list of providers? I see 46 pages here. Wondering if I can find a shortcut. Looking for a good provider in the states:

Criteria:

Classic Trooper

Would not like to wait 6-10 months

Would like something pre-trimmed.

Screen accurate

USA provider

I know of Walt's Trooper Factory and KB props. What other providers should I consider?

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

The first post is updated constantly.

Jim - TK50899