The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

I am new and researching my options for a big guy TK (6'2" 235lbs athletic build).  This resource is a gold mine of information and I wanted to thanks those responsible for it.  I have been looking at AS, ATA (if it will fit my build), AM, RT, TM and Anovos among others, based on this info in this thread. Not sure if the ANH sets will work since they are made for shorter/smaller frames.  I see that AS and a few others have made adjustments for that.  I really like the price of the Anovos Kit w/Helmet, you seem to get a lot for your money.  I am wondering if the whole Anovos armor has been 501st approved yet or just the helmet? 

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

I am new and researching my options for a big guy TK (6'2" 235lbs athletic build). This resource is a gold mine of information and I wanted to thanks those responsible for it. I have been looking at AS, ATA (if it will fit my build), AM, RT, TM and Anovos among others, based on this info in this thread. Not sure if the ANH sets will work since they are made for shorter/smaller frames. I see that AS and a few others have made adjustments for that. I really like the price of the Anovos Kit w/Helmet, you seem to get a lot for your money. I am wondering if the whole Anovos armor has been 501st approved yet or just the helmet?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

No armour is approved before being built. You can take Anovos armour and get approved to Centurion and you can take it and make it look like crap! It's all in the build! A few armour makers are not quite accurate enough and some parts may need to be replaced, as per the first post here.

No armour is approved before being built. You can take Anovos armour and get approved to Centurion and you can take it and make it look like crap! It's all in the build! A few armour makers are not quite accurate enough and some parts may need to be replaced, as per the first post here.

Absolutely, I understand its all in the build.  I just meant that some armor is not acceptable period, some armor can be modified for approval and some armor is ready to go after assembly).  I was wondering if people have been able to get the Anovos Armor 501st approved after they are done building it or does it require significant modification?  Aside from Anovos, what would they best option be for my build (6'2" 235lbs)?  

Absolutely, I understand its all in the build. I just meant that some armor is not acceptable period, some armor can be modified for approval and some armor is ready to go after assembly). I was wondering if people have been able to get the Anovos Armor 501st approved after they are done building it or does it require significant modification? Aside from Anovos, what would they best option be for my build (6'2" 235lbs)?

I think AP and RT-Mod are supposed to be better for taller/bigger troopers

Hey Ben and welcome. I would look into RT-Mod and AM. Those armors are geared forward the larger troopers. While all armors can be modified to fit the tall and/or large it would take some work.

Thanks!  It looks like those two and maybe Anovos are the best options for me. I do like the AM v2.0...it looks pretty good.

Thanks!  It looks like those two and maybe Anovos are the best options for me. I do like the AM v2.0...it looks pretty good.

I would suggest taking a look at Centurion request threads. The titles all specify the armour maker and everyone lists their height. Might give you a good idea of how it might look.

Hello Everyone.  I am new to the forum and looking to purchase my first set of Stormtrooper armor.  This is all a little overwhelming so I was looking for a little advice.  I see there are several vendors listed and I am wondering if there is a specific vendor that is recommended above others?  Maybe their shipped product is easier to work with or is more complete upon delivery.  Also, I have heard from several people that ANOVOS is a good purchase at a reasonable price but I haven't found much that would verify that and was wondering if anyone has an opinion.  

I also have a concern that I am hoping you can provide some advice on.  I am 5'10" and 235lbs and I am wondering if my size would indicate the type of armor I should by.  I am also currently working on reducing that weight and I am wondering if I should wait to purchase armor as the reduction in weight might significantly change the way the armor fits.  Hoping someone has gone through/witnessed this and has advice.

I am also in the Bakersfield, CA area if there is anyone local to talk to or that might make the armor.

Thanks guys for any advice.

Edited by vardterry3

Well hey Vard and welcome. I would say that at this point most armors are relatively the same as far as difficulty in regards to assembling them. As far as your height and weight I would consider looking into AM2.0. It is geared more towards the larger trooper. But it is also hard to go off of just weight. MTK and AP have made numerous adjustments to their armors and can fit a trooper up to a 38 inch waist without shimming. So I would recommend looking into those three armors. Have fun and keep doing your research.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's a Centurion?

See the thread about EIB and Centurion. There are two levels above basic approval for stormtroopers. Specific details in the CRL.

Walt's is a great choice and quick and a good price point. I'm working on a OT TK set right now. Keep in mind that it comes with all the features of some of older armor types, bumpy cap, not much symmetry, like the left arm is different from the right, etc. AND it's supposed to be that way! The screen used armor was the same. It's not an "idealized" version like a set from ANOVOS, a decent armor (from what I'm told) but not for me, I likes it authentic! He also offers it in a magma (red) version and shadow (black) version. John the group on Facebook and look at the very first "pinned" post by Erica for info on what they offer. Then directly message either Erica, Pedro, or Walt on pricing once you decide and they'll get back to you super quick.

That being said ANY armor maker listed here as "approved" are fantastic choices.

Walt's are approvable for any level of build, but because his armor is actually a blend of some of his own and some of makers that no longer produce theirs (he does have their permission and original bucks, from what I have found, after lengthy research and some speculation) he may never be on the "approved" maker list, but his armor is solid and of good quality.

Jim

Walt's is a great choice and quick and a good price point. I'm working on a OT TK set right now. Keep in mind that it comes with all the features of some of older armor types, bumpy cap, not much symmetry, like the left arm is different from the right, etc. AND it's supposed to be that way! The screen used armor was the same. It's not an "idealized" version like a set from ANOVOS, a decent armor (from what I'm told) but not for me, I likes it authentic! He also offers it in a magma (red) version and shadow (black) version. John the group on Facebook and look at the very first "pinned" post by Erica for info on what they offer. Then directly message either Erica, Pedro, or Walt on pricing once you decide and they'll get back to you super quick.

That being said ANY armor maker listed here as "approved" are fantastic choices.

Walt's are approvable for any level of build, but because his armor is actually a blend of some of his own and some of makers that no longer produce theirs (he does have their permission and original bucks, from what I have found, after lengthy research and some speculation) he may never be on the "approved" maker list, but his armor is solid and of good quality.

Jim

Anovos is one of the more accurate armors out there. The pulls are sharper than other makers, but the underlying sculpts are as close to the originals as you're likely to get, wonky symmetry and all. Very similar to RS armor. There are a number of other armors out there that are "idealized", but I don't think Anovos falls into that category.

RTrooperAlex they do not do FO troopers.  Right now it appears that Anovos does it which there is a VERY long line to get one and I believe you already have to be a member of the 501st.  Besides that there are a couple of fan sculpts available.  It is still few and far between for First Order.

Take a look at this thread:  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34166-first-order-stormtrooper-resource-guide/

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum as well and looking to purchase/create my first set of Stormtrooper armor.  I agree with Vard up there when it comes to the enormity of everything regarding trooping and it being a little overwhelming. The original post dates back to 2010 so i was wondering if there were updated contact emails / websites to look at regarding purchasing a kit. I am looking for movie quality/durability at a reasonable price, definitely willing to save where i can when it comes to putting some of the things together myself (i'm decently handy and have the majority of the tools i think i would need).  I would have liked to have purchased from ANOVOS but their classic is sold out and they have yet to get back to me regarding when it would be back in stock.

I'm 5'10, 150lbs living out of the NYC area if anyone around has any advice/tips it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing back from anyone as i am very anxious to start!

Thank you very much!

Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum as well and looking to purchase/create my first set of Stormtrooper armor.  I agree with Vard up there when it comes to the enormity of everything regarding trooping and it being a little overwhelming. The original post dates back to 2010 so i was wondering if there were updated contact emails / websites to look at regarding purchasing a kit. I am looking for movie quality/durability at a reasonable price, definitely willing to save where i can when it comes to putting some of the things together myself (i'm decently handy and have the majority of the tools i think i would need).  I would have liked to have purchased from ANOVOS but their classic is sold out and they have yet to get back to me regarding when it would be back in stock.

I'm 5'10, 150lbs living out of the NYC area if anyone around has any advice/tips it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing back from anyone as i am very anxious to start!

Thank you very much!

Hey Dimitri, welcome!  The first post in this thread is constantly updated, and has contact information that works for everyone.  I'd advise you to email a few of them, asking the same bank of questions, like total cost for a kit with a helmet, what all is included (some include Sandtrooper parts, some include Hero ears and lenses, some get you just enough plastic to do outside cover strips, some give lots of extras), what their shipping timeframe is, what the shipping costs to New York are, etc.  When you get the answers back, decide which one you want to go with, and then put in an order the way they want you to.  (:

Then go down and look at the "for sale" section to get parts that don't come with the kit (usually neck seal, gloves, boots, fans, etc...) By the time everything comes in, you should be ready to build your armor!

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

There's a forum dedicated to people making runs of things, mass-producing them for sale.  That's where you want to look.  (:  I think you may need 5 posts total before you can post there though.  Make a post in the "welcome" forum, maybe comment on a build thread or two, and you should be good to go.  Also, take a look at EIB and Centurion request threads that all specify who made their armor, to see if you like the looks of one kit or another. That's important too!

There's a forum dedicated to people making runs of things, mass-producing them for sale.  That's where you want to look.  (:  I think you may need 5 posts total before you can post there though.  Make a post in the "welcome" forum, maybe comment on a build thread or two, and you should be good to go.  Also, take a look at EIB and Centurion request threads that all specify who made their armor, to see if you like the looks of one kit or another. That's important too!

Great, will do (would you be able to link to that forum, the one where individuals mass certain items?).Also, I'm seeing a few of the responses from the vendors who have a noted difference between hero and stunt, could you help describe the difference i haven't been able to find a thread that explains it and the first post doesnt explain it here.

I'm just insanely excited and cant wait to start and get the ball rolling.

Great, will do (would you be able to link to that forum, the one where individuals mass certain items?).Also, I'm seeing a few of the responses from the vendors who have a noted difference between hero and stunt, could you help describe the difference i haven't been able to find a thread that explains it and the first post doesnt explain it here.

I'm just insanely excited and cant wait to start and get the ball rolling.

Hey Dimitri and welcome to FISD.  Becoming a stormtrooper is a very exciting time.  If you want to see what the difference is between an ANH Stunt, Hero, or even the difference to an ESB then click on the top tab that says "costume requirements."  There you will be directed to the CRLs on the 501st page.  Click on the different links and then you will be able to compare and see the difference.  If I can offer you any advice it is to do as much research as you possibly can before you pull the trigger on your choice of armor.  Most people only get once chance at this and you want it to be the choice that you will be most happy with.  Have fun.

• Like 1