The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

I have exchanged a few emails with mtk_armor@cox.net

He is calling it MTK stormtrooper armor.

...affiliated with trooperbay somehow but what I am wondering is if anyone has purchased his kit.

Pros? Cons?

From what I can tell it looks pretty legit.

Nothing to say against MTK. Mike is a top notch guy. He's a TE2 variant. So his armor is similat to TE2/AP/ATA/CAP/ect....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Curious to see what the popular armor was, I counted up just the last 2 pages of Expert Infantryman Requests and came up with:

14 - ATA

13 - RS

9 - TM

5 - AP, FX

3 - TMC

2 - NE, RT, BFA

1 - AM, Rubies, TE2, CFO

2 suppliers on the top of my list are AP and ATA. Mt dilema is, ATA is about $250- cheaper that AP, but there is a 7 month wait. Will the AP be a better product for the extra cash, or do I wait 7 months for a cheaper product (no helmet decals with the ATA, but will be painting anyway...) 

Curious to see what the popular armor was, I counted up just the last 2 pages of Expert Infantryman Requests and came up with:

14 - ATA

13 - RS

9 - TM

5 - AP, FX

3 - TMC

2 - NE, RT, BFA

1 - AM, Rubies, TE2, CFO

2 suppliers on the top of my list are AP and ATA. Mt dilema is, ATA is about $250- cheaper that AP, but there is a 7 month wait. Will the AP be a better product for the extra cash, or do I wait 7 months for a cheaper product (no helmet decals with the ATA, but will be painting anyway...) 

go AP after producing many of them and also making ATA they are both different in many subtle ways go AP?

Hi, was wondering if there were any updates about types of armor?  I understand AM armor is no longer being made and replaced with the NE version and am curious what the "take" on this armor is.  Does anyone know if the NE upgrade makes the helmet a little more accurate (as this was a downside to the AM armor)?

Edited by Surftrooper

Hi, was wondering if there were any updates about typoes of armor?  I understand AM armor is no longer being made and replaced with the NE version and am curious what the "take" on this armor is.  Does anyone know if the NE upgrade makes the helmet a little more accurate (as this was a downside to the AM armor)?

There are some troopers here with NE build threads. You should check those out in order to see how they are progressing and if they are having any issues. I know of at least one Garrison that does not recommend NE. But as was said already above:

NE is not on our list, and will not be on our list of recommended vendors because it is an unapproved recast (from the perspective of the makers of the original armour). IE, that is the bad kind of recast.

It is however (like many other recasts, good or bad) 501st approved as long as it is assembled properly and fits its wearer. But we at FISD cannot recommend it because of its origins.

You can't go wrong either way. Both are vetted and respected armor makers. I can personally vouch for ATA because that is what I own, through the wait was substantial. Of course you can always order your helmet separately as Terrell generally has helmet kits in stock, and/or work on other parts of your setup (e.g. blaster, holster, neck seal, etc.)

Edited by DroidHunter

Is TE2 armor still being produced? Does he now make ABS as well as HIPS? I can't seem to be able to send HDPblues a msg.

No he is not producing armour anymore.

Apologies in advance but the instructions aren't clear where I should list this.

I need to replace a 2008 Rubies Fibreglass Helmet that came with the Supreme Edition suit. Ok I know it ain't the best against standards buts it's got me through a dozen or so great adventures with a little mod or two.

My mate broke the helmet last weekend.

I miss it's oversized and heavy sit and if anyone knows where I can get another Id be very grateful.

Thanks again and apologies for insulting anyone's intelligence in advance.

Micheal

post-20150-0-61844700-1391224831_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to clarify where does the 501st sit in regards to

1) sFX helmets? I am guessing these are cheap variants of the Master Replica's so they don't cut it?

2) orginalstormtrooper.com recommended?

Edited by byoda

Both of them are pretty bad choices. eFX because it requires a lot of work to make it look good. And originalstormtrooper (SDS) is expensive, and not original either.

What's your purpose, to keep it as a display, or to wear with armour?

My purpose is some general display but flexible to troop in and even do the odd cross country skiing in. Restricted movement is a definite nono.

I really don't care about authentic origins.. ( ie 2 bum buttons vs 1 = details that are never seen)

Function is key.

The SDS Battlesuit though looks warped appeals via multiple uses (wardrobe wise).

I am an original 3.75" figure collector and I am more on getting good detail in a full costume that mimics the general likeness without all the mistakes, bad wearability, or fading low quality (yellowing) armor.

My biggest mistake would be to buy something so authentic it is too brittle to wear, or ABS acrylic covered that it makes the suit immobile.

I understand the difficulty of politics with 501st, Lucasfilm and organizations like originalstormtrooper (SDS), please feel free to PM me a straight answer that gets the results without having to become a prop builder.

Stormtrooper helmets are costumes... not helmets. so wearing it on a mountain covered in snow would not be a good idea unless you

are standing next to the lodge.

static display props are usually better when they are authentic... so really should undertstand that the purpose of wearing a stormtrooper

helmet in the first place should be one where you want the inside, and the outside to beas close as possible to the original design.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really pissed off to find out that my NE is nothing more than a recast.  That was an expensive mistake.  What sucks is that they were listed here originally. Explains why he won't answer my emails anymore.

Really pissed off to find out that my NE is nothing more than a recast. That was an expensive mistake. What sucks is that they were listed here originally. Explains why he won't answer my emails anymore.

NE was never on our list of recommended armour. AM was, who is made by the same people. But that was an entirely different armour.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I didn't know the implications of him changing from AM to NE until after they'd taken over $750 from me. I found the AM listed here and ordered it due to my height. I've been told the pieces aren't accurate and the helmet is a mess. The armor maker told me the ears were wrong and would send me new ones.They never arrived and my emails have gone unanswered. 

Edited by Delirium Cordia