The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Looking for a completed set of Shadow Trooper Armor of high quality and wanted to get your guys and gals opinion. I'm 6'1 220 so also looking for a larger set. I have 0 experience as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MTFBWY

Mike

Edit: anyone have experience with this site? www.originalstormtrooper.com

Edited by Otown

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie question time!!!

Ok i feel really noobish right now. New to the site and wanted to join the 501'st and get armor. So of course i have to get armor first and was reading and loved this thread. But there are so many abbreviations that i didn't not understand. 

What does TE2 T/MC and CFO mean.  So many acronyms made me little confused. 

On the subject of trimming what does that mean? Is the armor sticking to other parts. What trimming goes on? 

Second I am currently planning on asking someone to make a kit for me for i have NO experience making armor. Ive made a few basic cloth things in my life and have never tried armor. 

I am a larger guy 6 foot and wider shoulders 250lb's  Anyone have advice on how i should go? (college student so low cash XD) Im thinking along the lines of  Supertrooper or Tary. 1000% noob and looking for yall's friendly advice. 

Looking for a completed set of Shadow Trooper Armor of high quality and wanted to get your guys and gals opinion. I'm 6'1 220 so also looking for a larger set. I have 0 experience as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MTFBWY

Mike

Edit: anyone have experience with this site? www.originalstormtrooper.com

Type in "originalstormtrooper" into the search for "all topics", and read some of the forum posts created already.  Then you can make an informed decision on them.

Hi all, so like many here this is the location of my first post.

First off I want to say thanks for an awesome thread, i came here looking as i wanted to buy a fully made costume but was hesitant on shelling out 1000 for something that i could not be sure would fit me, now i know there is so much more to a trooper costume.

So im looking at two options, 1) being the AP set, the second being the RT-mod, im 6'2 220 lbs, and ive got a big melon, so im really leaning towards the RT-mod.

BUT the anxious little kid in me would really like the costume before halloween and trooper7 has not replied to my email yet, and the AP guys were blazingly fast replying to me...... i know its only been a few days since i emailed him but does anyone know if he is still making kits?

last but not least being located in Calgary AB, Canada id like to stick to someone local to avoid paying a couple of hundred at the border.

Edit

Oh yeah also on the topic of boots, what qualifies a boot as an elvis or mariachi boot?

Edited by Greensparrow

Don't bother with AP if you're tall and heavy. AP is the opposite of that. Also don't look for elvis boots, look for chelsea. There is a bunch of topics already on the matter, and we have pictures of the original boots used in the movies in our gallery called "photo references".

What is the best way to get in touch with TM for pricing and availability? I havent seen any past armor run posts in the For Sale areas, and I sent him a PM. Still awaiting a response, Im sure hes busy. Anyone mind PMing me details on how to get in touch, or at least the price of a full kit? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have anything thoughts on the upcoming EFX - ANH HERO STORMTROOPER LEGEND HELMET?

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hi,

What about NE armor? Is accurate? Is 501st approved? Why isn't it in the initial list?

Thank youu

I have NE armor, it's by the makers of the old AM armor. Mine's not approved yet, as I still need a holster, but I know other people in the Mountain Garrison who have their's finished and they were approved no problem, so it should be approvable. My guess is it isn't on the initial list because it's new and just hasn't been added yet. I got mine in June or July on the second run of it.

I have NE armor, it's by the makers of the old AM armor. Mine's not approved yet, as I still need a holster, but I know other people in the Mountain Garrison who have their's finished and they were approved no problem, so it should be approvable. My guess is it isn't on the initial list because it's new and just hasn't been added yet. I got mine in June or July on the second run of it.

No, that is not why NE isn't on the list.

NE is not on our list, and will not be on our list of recommended vendors because it is an unapproved recast (from the perspective of the makers of the original armour). IE, that is the bad kind of recast.

It is however (like many other recasts, good or bad) 501st approved as long as it is assembled properly and fits its wearer. But we at FISD cannot recommend it because of its origins.

I wanted to add my thanks for this awesome thread. 21 pages later, combined with tips from folks at a wonderful 501st dinner last night, and I'm on my way!

I got on the ATA waiting list yesterday - he said 8-9 months, as an fyi. This gives me plenty of time to get the other bits in order, do some handling/wrangling, and save my pennies. Aiming towards being ready for Dragon*Con 2014.

On to the build threads!

Ciao mi chiamo Michele e sto entrando pian piano in questo mondo.

Ho letto molte pagine di questo sito e dal forum 501 italica.

Sono un principiante in questo campo ma sono riuscito, correggimi se sbaglio. A capire che le armor più buone sono la TM e la RS, ma purtroppo vengono molto. Ho letto che come armatura base per la 501 va bene anche una FX e magari prendere un elmo da AP.

Voi che ne pensate?

Purtroppo vorrei un'armatura pronta da indossare in quanto sono poco pratico e vorrei evitare di tagliare e soprattutto di usare vernici,

Sapete se qualcuno sta vendendo una armatura già assemblata FX e un elmo AP?

Sapete se i fornitori ufficiali vendono armature pronte da indossare o se comunque va sempre fatto qualche piccolo lavoretto?

Perdonatemi se scrivo a coi ma il sito e' inglese e ho visto che comunque è presente qualcuno italiano.

Spero di non aver disturbato nessuno e appena potete sarei grato se qualcuno mi rispondesse.

Ringrazio in anticipo per la cortesia.

Contattami anche in pvt: sir_michele88@libero.it

Michele

• 5 weeks later...

This is my very first step into owning a Stormtrooper costume/suit/armour/uniform.

This website is very informative thanks! But here's my specifics:

Average height, pot belly, shortish legs!!! Live in the UK. Budget for uniform including helmet no more than GBP £800 (is that reasonable?)

I wand as cheap a suit as I can whilst passing muster for joining fellow stormtroopers in whatever regiment I go for. Any advice would be great as to what passes muster etc.

I have no previous experience with these plastics so 'joining' 'butting' and 'trimming' would have to be fairly basic.

Is it possible to build up a suit bit by bit maybe sourcing various parts from several manufacturers? Are there trade secrets like a cheap make of gloves or boots etc? What about getting it all ready made like at this site: https://www.originalstormtrooper.com/

I'm going to concentrate on extras such as a blaster later but for now I'm itching to get my hands on an entry level costume!

Edited by gmrhodes13
updated text

Don't do it

On 11/13/2013 at 5:42 AM, Dypevag said:

This is my very first step into owning a Stormtrooper costume/suit/armour/uniform.

This website is very informative thanks! But here's my specifics:

Average height, pot belly, shortish legs!!! Live in the UK. Budget for uniform including helmet no more than GBP £800 (is that reasonable?)

I wand as cheap a suit as I can whilst passing muster for joining fellow stormtroopers in whatever regiment I go for. Any advice would be great as to what passes muster etc.

I have no previous experience with these plastics so 'joining' 'butting' and 'trimming' would have to be fairly basic.

Is it possible to build up a suit bit by bit maybe sourcing various parts from several manufacturers? Are there trade secrets like a cheap make of gloves or boots etc? What about getting it all ready made like at this site:https://www.originalstormtrooper.com/

I'm going to concentrate on extras such as a blaster later but for now I'm itching to get my hands on an entry level costume!

Edited by gmrhodes13
updated text

• 4 weeks later...

No, that is not why NE isn't on the list.

NE is not on our list, and will not be on our list of recommended vendors because it is an unapproved recast (from the perspective of the makers of the original armour). IE, that is the bad kind of recast.

It is however (like many other recasts, good or bad) 501st approved as long as it is assembled properly and fits its wearer. But we at FISD cannot recommend it because of its origins.

Well... crud. That puts me in an ethical bind, I got a kit hoping to avoid recasting. Ugh.