The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

I do not have a link.  I had reached out to them via the TKBoots.com site to ask some questions about the availability of the boots.  When they had responded, they had mentioned that they timing was affected by the runs of the armor as well.  So I asked if they also made it.  Their price seems reasonable.

Thanks!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got my NE armor in the mail and started my build.  There armor itself does run a little larger and longer in some areas.  Helmet wise and other accessories I got from RS Prop Masters.  RS from my experience has great costumer service and great products.  I am very happy with all of the items I have received thus far.

I recently got my NE armor in the mail and started my build. There armor itself does run a little larger and longer in some areas. Helmet wise and other accessories I got from RS Prop Masters. RS from my experience has great costumer service and great products. I am very happy with all of the items I have received thus far.

RS has the worst customer service ever!

I had to wait two months to get the lid and I am still waiting for extra rubber and extra green lenses. It's hard to get a reply using the email..I had to post on their Facebook page to be heard.

Really unhappy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Can someone PM me some contact info for purchasing ATA armor??

See first post  ;)

Type: ATA (Affordable Trooper Armor)

Contact: Supertrooper on FISD / ATAworks@yahoo.com, please email for armor inquiries.

Kit: ABS & and HIPS by request, untrimmed, ANH derived

Availability: No known problems though there may be a waiting list.

Assembly: Armor needs to be trimmed, parts butt joined with finishing strips, HIPS needs to be painted.

Comments: The quality of HIPS material is such that it is the most durable of all HIPS armor makes. ABS is a custom made ABS for color, gloss, and durability.

Thats where I just got mine from and it looks good.  Haven't started building it yet.

Kevin

I just want to ensure that it is suitable for larger troopers and is 501 approvable. Has your Garrison CS seen it? I just want to make sure this kit doesn't disqualify me in any way.

I am traveling for work and have been since I got it, so no one has seen it except on my facebook photos.  You can check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151685712130908.1073741826.765645907&type=1&l=5c17ab5725  The album is public and I would love feedback.  (By the way, I know I put the ESB handguards at the elbows when I took the picture. I wanted to put them somewhere and that was an empty space.)

Thanks

Kevin

Getting my Kit soon, but need the rest to finish, Boots, Gloves, Bodysuit, neck brace, gun and holster. Any info will be appreciated.

Boots   TKBoots.com

Undersuit    Under Armor, there is nothing better

Gloves  Be creative, any black pair will suffice, shop around

Gun Hasbro E-11 Blaster with Doopy Doos conversion kit

• Like 1

ABS Is always the best material!

According to RS' website, ABS is better for prop collectors, is naturally glossy and will eventually fade over time. For PVC, they say, "PVC is a more durable and robust material than ABS.  This coupled with the pure white high gloss could make this a better choice for a harder waring tropping suit."

Just from this I'd think that that PVC would be the way to go, yet everyone seems to go with ABS, which is what has me confused.

Why is ABS best?

ABS is probably cheaper and easier to work with. I think RS is really the only maker that currently uses PVC. I've only experienced ABS & HIPS & I definitely prefer the ABS over HIPS. I can't speak for the PVC, but I know many troopers love the RS for the reasons you mention. As for "beginners", I think the level of skill needed to assemble either material is basically the same. :)

Edited by bjsavage7

RS are the only ones that sell suits in PVC. Historically no other maker has used it so people's experience with PVC is very limited. That's why they recommend ABS.

I've built my TM in ABS and a friends RS suit in PVC. From a building perspective it doesn't matter which you choose.

From a trooping perspective it depends on a lot more than that. PVC is very nice and flexible which makes it durable. But ABS is also flexible and durable. With ABS it depends more on the thickness and chemical composition of the plastic since many makers use different suppliers and different kinds of ABS. For example, take 3 ABS suits, one from TM, one from RS and one from AP or ATA. Neither will behave the same, even if we had the same thickness of the plastic.

With PVC, since RS are the only ones selling it, you only have one choice.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter as much as you think. Their PVC is glossier and slightly more flexible than their ABS. But other vendors, for example TM makes some very shiny and flexible ABS too.

Thanks so much, guys!

I came across a post that was discussing the difference between ABS and PVC that included some pictures, and I think I decided that if I go with RS, PVC will be the way to go for me.  It seems to be best for what I'm looking for, and I just love the look of a shiny TK!

Now I just need to decide whether I'm going hero or stunt...