The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Ah great!. The crafter and i sending emails betwin us at the momant so i`ll be sure to mention it! Its fantastic if i dont have to use contacts, i tryed it meany years ago and it was a pain :).

Thanks guys.

Edited by Trooperik

Me again.. (hehe).

Under "extras" at the armor makers website, things like handguard, belt and holster are listed. What is realy mandatory for

approval at the 501st, and what is redundant?

Everything except the blaster are required.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been a HUGE help! Got in touch with all the right people for a good helmet kit for a Christmas present! I'm a big Star Wars fan, but my bf is the 501st kind and wants to build his first armor :) Hope to hear back soon from the suppliers you listed.

Hi Brandi and welcome to FISD!

That's so cool. :) Armor presents are starting to be very popular.

You are not the first, and hopefully not the last GF to get her man some armor.

ROCK ON!

Hi Guys, What do you all think of the AP prebuilt armor? Is it acceptable for the 501st? Thanks for any info.

getting on the waiting list is simple. the AP ready to wear kits come in two different styles

basic, and trooper. the basic version is a very simple style of assembly, using abs weld and very minimal strapping.

pros: orders come out fast and the internal strapping can be upgraded on your own.

cons: harder to tailor, and not EIB or centurion ready

knee plate is riveted.

the trooper version has suspenders, snap plate construction and comes with options for upgrading the helmet.

this version uses e-6000 to assemble all parts, so it can be taken apart and tailored/ repaired.

pros: durable and troopable snap plate style internal strapping, with velcro shins, thighs closures, ready to tailor.

cons: orders take much longer due to the complexity of the internals, and the drying time of the assembly process.

knee plate is riveted.

the AP ready to wear option is not intended for EIB or Centurion levels, if a trooper wants to go to those levels

of accuracy then they should purchase a trimmed kit, and build from there.

the knee plate, side rivets and other helmet details are not done to EIB or Centurion standards, just base 501 acceptance.

they don't glue the knee, or provide split rivets or brads. so if you're going for that level of standards it's best to order

the correct option.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Type: RS Prop Masters

Kit: 1.5mm ABS or 1.5mm PVC, untrimmed, only 1st Generation cast of an original ANH armor. Is Expert Infantry ready out of the box, and Centurion ready with very little work on the accessories (hand guards and such).

Availability: 3-5 days

Assembly: Parts are untrimmed and requires cover-strip and butt-joining for assembly. Can be ordered pre-assembled for an additional fee.

Options:

1. Helmet + Armour - Kit

2. Armor only - Kit

3. Helmet - Kit

4. Helmet - Fully finished and hand painted

5. Armor + Helmet - Armor trimmed to your specification but not assembled + Fully finished helmet.

6. "Fully loaded" - Accessory package, when bought together with armor. Contains strapping kit, latex handguards, rubber gloves, canvas belt, etc..

All prices are excluding shipping.

Comments: The newest maker on the market and the only 1st Generation cast of an original ANH armor. Comes unaltered with all the good and bad that brings. May require more skill to assemble than other kits. Extremely accurate when assembled with care. Armour is more generous than SDS or AP, but not as large as RT-mod.

I not want to be discourteous or be a nitpicker, but if you wirte a discription for newbies which haven't any clue about armours it should be correct, shouldn't be?

The RS armour is not unaltered, it has a clean up on some parts.

Also it comes from a orignal Sandtrooper armour which means that the , sniperplate,shoulderstraps and buttonplates are fancasts.

As well as parts from the shins and one forearm. If i remember correct there were two left forearms and two left shins on the screen used armours they have.

The holster which comes with the set is also not a regular E 11 holster, it's a original one, that's for sure but not a regular E 11 holster.

I think, if you write a discriprion about the origin, good and bads, parts etc. you should write all.

There is no harm meant!

It's a great armour , but it's not unaltered.

Edited by Turrican

I not want to be discourteous or be a nitpicker, but if you wirte a discription for newbies which haven't any clue about armours it should be correct, shouldn't be?

The RS armour is not unaltered, it has a clean up on some parts.

Also it comes from a orignal Sandtrooper armour which means that the , sniperplate,shoulderstraps and buttonplates are fancasts.

As well as parts from the shins and one forearm. If i remember correct there were two left forearms and two left shins on the screen used armours they have.

The holster which comes with the set is also not a regular E 11 holster, it's a original one, that's for sure but not a regular E 11 holster.

I think, if you write a discriprion about the origin, good and bads, parts etc. you should write all.

There is no harm meant!

It's a great armour , but it's not unaltered.

I wrote that description. While it might not be a 100% accurate to the truth it's pretty close in what is very little text. Because it's not easy to go into detail while still keeping it short. Yes, some parts of it are sculpts and others might have been changed, but in comparison to any other armours with "linage" that is nothing. And I still believe that for those that care about these things, they find out elsewhere, or at least in a different post what the specifics are.

Hi All,

Can someone please explain the different levels like Centurion? Also, I'm a beginner to building a costume, but I'd like a high quality costume that will be 501st acceptable and serve me well for years, so can anyone offer a suggestion for a kit? Thanks for any help! :)

Go here and choose a trooper then look at the different levels.

http://www.501st.com...tuming:FISD_CRL

Level 1 is basic certification, Level 2 is EIB and Level 3 is Centurion although they are even more changes for Centurion now that are not on the CRL yet so make sure to find out those if you go Centurion. Decide which kind of trooper you want, research what armor people are using for that type of trooper and decide what you like best and want in your armor. Some people want affordable while some want the best money can buy while still others want something with bulletproof durability, etc. The choice is yours. Body type comes into play as well so make sure other people your size are using the armor you choose.

Edited by Plastic Soldier

Hi Brandi and welcome to FISD!

That's so cool. :) Armor presents are starting to be very popular.

You are not the first, and hopefully not the last GF to get her man some armor.

ROCK ON!

Thanks! :) He figured out what I got him, and turns out I got exactly what he was looking for. He was already granted Cadet status and he's super excited.. The more I do my research the closer I get to trying to build my own as well haha.

Thanks! :) He figured out what I got him, and turns out I got exactly what he was looking for. He was already granted Cadet status and he's super excited.. The more I do my research the closer I get to trying to build my own as well haha.

YAY! Glad the armor was just what he wanted. :) Yep, once you start doing a little research, then you get hooked and gotta build your own armor, too. We have lots of ladies in armor. Have fun with it. :)

Type: TE2

Kit: HIPS, untrimmed, ANH derived

Availability: Very limited. Only produces set numbers in runs.

Assembly: Armor needs to be trimmed, parts butt joined with finishing strips, then painted.

Comments: Helmet is considered the most screen accurate available, though some don't like the bumpy cap and back.

Anyone know, is TE2 still making kits?

HDPblues has not posted in months, inbox is full.

Hi All,

New to this forum and my first venture into building a TK armor set. I've read through many of these threads and the CRL's and have set my sights on making ANH Stunt armor to meet the Centurion standards of the 501st. According to the CRL:

"The armor parts shall be made from one of these types of materials or like materials: White fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), or HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene)."

I am leaning towards armor made of PVC from things I have read and would like to know if it meets the "or like material" described above. I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but since I don't have experience working with these materials and couldn't find a post or reference to PVC being ok for Centurion standards, I figured I would ask before assuming.

Thanks in Advance.

Echo

• 2 weeks later...
I was to that AM armor is no longer being made. Is that true, I have emailed bot contacts listed with no response. Just wondering if I need to go a different direction. Thanks

That is correct. They are working on new moulds and stopped producing with the old ones. The the white AM kits have been out of stock for quite some time now.

Awesome Thread for beginners....this thread has taken all of the guess work out of it for me. When I first started researching building a TK rig I was overwhelmed. There's a lot out there...like most noobs the first place I went was eBay...you can find anything there right? Wrong...you can't find the honest advise you need there. Then it was SDS ...WOW!...I can get a real stormtrooper rig?...but wait....theres more to this story...look at that price....they don't ship to the USA?...lawsuit? I better look into this further. On to the 501st and things started happening. I stumbled on to what would be my local garrison (Bloodfin) and emailed members there about there armor which led me here. Now I have a list of suppliers which gives me a choice...all I have to do is ask...and I did...AP will be the armor I end up using in the end... That guy responded quickly, answered all of my questions, and sent me a link on trimming. Besides that I think AP suits me best...(correct me if I'm wrong)....I'm 5'10...155 lbs. with decent artistic and handyman skills...I want something that I can eventually take to the top level, and of course there's the budget. My girlfriend knows all about the budget. I'm looking forward to this build and joining a community that loves the trooper. I'll be doing a TD build based on cantina captain. Other links I would like to thank include mepd.net and TK1336.com...he has a lot of resources on his site for the beginner. I hope other people like this thread as much as I do...See you on the Dark Side brothers.

I'm glad we could be of service, and that you took the time to read up properly. Sadly not everyone does that until they have already bought a suit, and then come to regret it. You did everything right as a newbie. :duim:

Awesome Thread for beginners....this thread has taken all of the guess work out of it for me. When I first started researching building a TK rig I was overwhelmed. There's a lot out there...like most noobs the first place I went was eBay...you can find anything there right? Wrong...you can't find the honest advise you need there. Then it was SDS ...WOW!...I can get a real stormtrooper rig?...but wait....theres more to this story...look at that price....they don't ship to the USA?...lawsuit? I better look into this further. On to the 501st and things started happening. I stumbled on to what would be my local garrison (Bloodfin) and emailed members there about there armor which led me here. Now I have a list of suppliers which gives me a choice...all I have to do is ask...and I did...AP will be the armor I end up using in the end... That guy responded quickly, answered all of my questions, and sent me a link on trimming. Besides that I think AP suits me best...(correct me if I'm wrong)....I'm 5'10...155 lbs. with decent artistic and handyman skills...I want something that I can eventually take to the top level, and of course there's the budget. My girlfriend knows all about the budget. I'm looking forward to this build and joining a community that loves the trooper. I'll be doing a TD build based on cantina captain. Other links I would like to thank include mepd.net and TK1336.com...he has a lot of resources on his site for the beginner. I hope other people like this thread as much as I do...See you on the Dark Side brothers.

I must echo the same sentiment. The level of committment for helping out the unexperienced that can be found here is fantastic, especially when you take the time to research before asking.