Advice on attaching shoulder straps to chest/back

Well I'm in a position to start putting my kit together and was wondering what is the best way of attaching the shoulder straps to the chest and back plates.

Am using Tony Barnetts webbing method to attach the actual pieces together but its the straps I am enquiring about.

Do people use industrial velcro or glue them in place?

Am aiming for the ANH look with floating strap at the back.

Comments?

Well I'm in a position to start putting my kit together and was wondering what is the best way of attaching the shoulder straps to the chest and back plates.

Am using Tony Barnetts webbing method to attach the actual pieces together but its the straps I am enquiring about.

Do people use industrial velcro or glue them in place?

Am aiming for the ANH look with floating strap at the back.

Comments?

Fez

Using Velcro mate, it will be better for trooping, then you can slimply pull the bridges off and transport your armour with ease. If you glue the bridges, trust me, they will break over time due to stress cracks. Also velcro on the back plate, this will still give the illusion your bridges are floating...

I glued my shoulder straps on the front as well. I use 1/8" white elastic strap just as they do in the movies.

I used Goop in the hollow ribbed area and CA glue around the very edge to glue it.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I used a bead of Plastic weld around the contacting edge, and E6000 in the "inside" to secure it. I've done this on 2 suits now with no problems.

And you are correct, for EIB you should glue them on if possible but I believe velcro is acceptable - but not rivets.

I glued mine on. I got tired of them popping off with velcro - such a pain. Really, since you're only gluing the fronts there is no stress on them. Terry's use of dual glue is a good one, and having the elastic strap across the top is a very nice extra touch.

I also have them glued in the front and floating in the back, as per the movie suits. I used CA glue to glue them. Ive never had an issue with them coming off during transport, if you pack your tote right, they will not be an issue.

Yeah I glue mine on too. Don't put too much on in case it spills over the edges.

Hot glue will also work well and can be removed with a hair drier if you mess up with the rear alignment :) Plus easy to peel off the excess

I'd go for hot glue as it's more forgiving if you make a mistake. Just heat it up and move it about

e6000 fills the inside of mine, with the fronts glued on.

you have to count the number of ribs to get the position correct.

I used han solo's armor as a guide. the angle of the straps and the positioning

is actually a little wonky if you're setting up an AP. the chest is sculpted like the originals

the same wonk is on my armor as on the originals... can be a little tricky.

I used 2" wide black elastic with 3 snaps. 2 snaps for the front plate, and rear plate.

the 3rd snap is for my shoulder bells. the shoulder bell snaps are biased towards the front

of the connecting strap, they are not exactly in the center. this helps to hold them on my shoulders

at the correct angle. I used leather non elastic for the shoulder bells. keeps the distance the same

from the shoulder strap as I move around.

Cheers guys,

Great advice! definitely going for the ANH look :) .

Will let you know how I get on and am sure will be back for more help :)

Cheers guys,

Great advice! definitely going for the ANH look :) .

Will let you know how I get on and am sure will be back for more help :)

I used pieces of an old web belt I riveted in for strength, then I can glue the plastic bridge in front and leave it floating in back as well.