About this canvas belt thing....

Ryan

Hey, all -

I'm about to get started on thee belt, as I picked up some fabric over the weekend. But first, I thought I'd ask you folks for your opinions, as all of the tutorials I've found online involve plastic or leather for the belt. It seems pretty much obvious, but still....

Has anyone made one of these yet? Would I just rivet it to the plastic belt piece like I would ABS? Would you recommend I use snaps or velco on the back?

Any insight would be awesome. :)

Thanks,

-Ryan

IIRC the only person who has done this is TK-1536, and here is how he did it:

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I posted a question to Tk-1536 earlier this year and he provided me those pics and the following insight:

Take a piece of 9 inch wide canvas and fold it over three times and sew it together. The length around the waist is up to you as to how you want to wear it. You can run it all the way around and rivet the abs to it. Or you can have two pieces with the abs belt in the middle.

This is my next mod and hope to have it done soon...

tk8020 said:

IIRC the only person who has done this is TK-1536, and here is how he did it:

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

This is how I made my canvas belt.

I bought a sheet of fine weave canvas and basically wrapped it around a length of 3 inch wide elastic.Wrapping it around the elastic gave me the girth without having to layer up the canvas,but obviously the elasticity is lost now.I used white 3 inch wide velcro to keep the belt colosed at the back.I used rivets to keep the plastic part to the canvas,making sure to put the thin white elastic for the drop boxes at each end.I put another rivet in the middle and the covered the rivets with the plastic covers.

Mul75jH.jpg

-Paul.

I notice you have the drop boxes attached directly to the belt. This is contrary to how a lot of troopers - particularly FX - wear them. I took a look at a few screen caps from ANH & ESB, and from what I can tell how you have them hooked up is the way they should be.

Is this correct in ROTJ as well? Don't have any caps to reference while at work.

Yes the ROTJ belts have the drop boxes assembled the same way.They used narrower webbing for the belt roughly 2" wide but the belt's were actually riveted to the abdomin where the drop box straps are and did not have one in the middle.

I've tried my best to build up my armour just like they did it in 1977 ;) That is what I want my armour to look like,real armour from the film set no matter how good or bad it was assembled back then:D

I kinda like it this way better. I noticed you also sealed the backs. I think it would be a basic mod to make these openable and usable, esp. considering there is no other good place to put stuff besides the thermal det.

i think i'll give this canvas belt thing a try, too. on my armor, the back part of the belt is missing, the front part is riveted directly to the front. I'm not really happy with that because i have nothing that holds my holster right now. but i was thinking of white leather instead of canvas...

does the weight of blaster+holster pull the canvas belt down?? is the belt stiff enough so that it doesnt crumple? (you know what i mean? i still have my issues with this language from time to time)

My canvas belt holds up my holstered resin blaster fine.It doesn't wrinkle or anything like that,it's quite solid.As long as your belt is fastened tight around your waist,then it will hold your blaster in the holster.FYI,the real ANH belts were attached to the abdomin with snaps which I suppose would help a bit to keep the belt up,but was mainly to keep them in place.