i am starting out my incinerator trooper build thread

my plan of action

1. helmet

2. armor

3. custom pauldron

4. flamethrower

got my brown box of goodies

DSC01387.jpg

also my scrap built ammo pouch is complete (click here for templates and howto)

DSC01377.jpg

HELMET

before i do any trimming, i am coating the inside of the helmet with rustolium truck bed liner, first i scrubbed the inside of the helmet with dawn dish soap and a steel wool, then i wrapped the helmet in an old walmart bag to prevent over-spray, also i taped around the edges to hold the bags in place

DSC01388.jpg

after 2 coats

DSC01389.jpg

now ill let this cure over night and then begin trimming

now for rough trimming

i will be using my craftsman radial arm saw to do most of the rough trim work ;) no im not kidding... i made a makeshift hot wire cutter using my radial saw and some junk

DSC01390.jpg

making first cuts, it works very smoothly and by adjusting the voltage i can fine tune the cutting speed

DSC01393.jpg

you cant see the cuts because they almost re-weld after cutting

DSC01394.jpg

the cut pieces just pop off after cutting

this is the cutting circuit it is made from a 12 volt transformer, variac from a sewing machine and a guitar stringDSC01391.jpg i tested this on some scrap plastic first and was surprised how much easier it was than scissors or a blade, i like this method because it reduces the risk of cracking the plastic, also it is very easy to guide the cuts and you can change cutting angles on a dime...

*ATA

Edited by dashrazor

i love the smell of burning plastic in the morning :)

i made a short demo video of my hot wire trimmer (please note i am cutting with one hand while filming with the other)

here it the other ear rough trimmed

DSC01397.jpg

now i will start fine trimming with a dremel

i hope this is looking ok :unsure:

DSC01399.jpgDSC01398.jpg

the final trimming is scary....

i am trying not to over trim but i dont want to under trim.. any input would be helpful ;)

thanks to jessie for your ata helmet build thread, it has been a big help

i am attaching the ears with a combination of 3 glues. gorilla super glue gel, automotive goop and hot glue

DSC01404.jpg

i allied the goop to the edges of the ears and clamped in place

DSC01405.jpg

then i put in all the ear screws and tightened, applying small drops of super glue gel in any small gaps

i filled the seams inside the helmet with hot glue for reinforcement

DSC01406.jpg

i cleaned up the little bits of visible goop with an exacto blade and pencil eraser

DSC01407.jpg

then sanded every inch with imperial wet dry sandpaper and claened with automotive surface prep cleaner

DSC01408.jpgDSC01409.jpg

first coat of primerDSC01410.jpgDSC01411.jpg

i hope this is looking ok :unsure:

nope... not right at all. you should just get a new kit and send this one to me. i'll pm you my address.

kidding, obviously. looks great, and some pretty innovative methods here to boot. :duim:

starting the helmet detailing, i taped the areas to be detailed with automotive masking and filled in gaps with blue painters tape and plastic bags to prevent overspray

DSC01416.jpg

i painted all areas black first then re masked the details

DSC01417.jpgDSC01418.jpg

after i went over the black with grey

DSC01419.jpgDSC01420.jpgDSC01421.jpg

it didn't come out as good as i would like, but hopefully the battle damage will cover the problem areas :huh:

DSC01422.jpgDSC01423.jpgDSC01424.jpg

i masked off the tube stripes and touched up some overspray with an airbrush

DSC01425.jpgDSC01426.jpg

DSC01428.jpgDSC01429.jpgDSC01427.jpg

then masked off the red areas

DSC01430.jpg

i airbrushed it with 3 different shades of red starting light around the edges and then darker shades

DSC01431.jpgDSC01432.jpg

next im gonna do the battle damage, weathering and fine detailing

Edited by dashrazor

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys iv actually done a lot since those photos, i have almost the whole set trimmed and ready to assemble, i also touched up the helmet decal areas some, it has been a good learning experience

i did learn a few do's and donts

i used rustolium appliance epoxy for the white finish (great stuff) but be carful when applying painted details, fortunately i tested on scraps first, testors model paints are ok but if you thin them too much you will get orange peel (cracked finish) i ended up using acrylic craft paints from wal mart (they can be thinned with water or windex so there is no chance of a bad reaction) but then the deatails need to be sealed, i tested several clear coats before i found one that didnt react badly with the rustolium finish. the only one that worked was krylon matte finishDSC01461.jpg

even the rustolim clear finish reacted badly with the appliance epoxy :huh: to do the cracked battle damaged areas i applied hot glue to the area then ripped it off slowly, this removed the epoxy finish to expose the bare primer, then i filled the cracks with khaki colored craft paint and sealed with clearcoat, oh and a other helpful hint... if you live in a buggy area like me burn a couplel citronella candles nearby when painting it helps keep bugs from getting in your paint ;)

also the hot wire trimming is insanely easy and quick i recommended it to anyone doing an ATA it cut the hips like butter

DSC01460.jpg

enough ramblings lol..

installing lenses

i put 2 part epoxy around the eyes and inserted female threaded hex nuts (from an old pc card) into the epoxy

DSC01437.jpgDSC01439.jpg

then i cut the lenses and warped them slightly with my propane heat gun

DSC01438.jpgDSC01440.jpg

i drilled out holes and bolted in the lenses with the same PC card hex screws

almost done :D

DSC01433.jpg

Edited by dashrazor

Hot wire trimming? Is that a new TIP thread I smell? :)

ha :D the melting hips actually smells quite nice, but i haven't tested on abs yet. i cant remember exactly where i got the schematics (i made it a few years ago for cutting foam insulation sheets) but if you google hot wire foam cutting, you can find plans to make one or buy a premade foam cutter pretty cheap

• 2 weeks later...

i took out the foam lining from an old hokey mask i got at a yard sale and glued it into the helmet with plumbers goop (i also may use the helmet strap from this also)

DSC01467.jpgDSC01490.jpgDSC01491.jpg

fits perfect and is really comfortable...

then i installed Smittys awesome mic tips :D

DSC01492.jpg

doing the final sanding and trimming was taking forever with a dremel :( and the dremel (no matter how good your skills are) is prone to kickback and slipping.. so i decided to take a gamble and try my bench belt sander :o i was a but reluctant at first, but using the drum end it was super easy to trim/sand in one easy step, i used an extremely worn out belt so it removes the excess plastic slowly and precisely. i am in a bit of a time crunch on this build because my cousins 10yr old son son having a birthday soon and him and his brother are super crazy about Star Wars .. i sure to give them one big surprise since they have never seen a real life star wars character before.. :) enough rambling on... i hope to start priming and painting some parts today if all goes well

here is a video of me trimming with a craftman belt sander (my daughter filmed it so the camera work is a bit wonky)

Nice work Mason. I understand from others that used it that a belt sander is the fastest way to trim armor and get nice edges. Alas, it's also a dangerous tool to use too. Can't wait to see how this shakes out :)

i started fitting the pvc trim before i start painting.. this stuff looks nice and for 75 cents a foot it was a great deal ;)

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01494.jpg

tip: leave the trim out in the sun for a bit...it makes it easier to work with

Edited by dashrazor

i joined using a strip of white rubber and hot glue

DSC01511.jpgDSC01512.jpgDSC01513.jpg

i will reinforce the hot glue seam permanently ;) soon as i come up with a good way of doing it

Edited by dashrazor