Painting problem

Ryan

Ok, this is a weird one... I figured I'd ask you guys to see if this has happened to anyone else.

I did some more work on my helmet last night, and decided to add a couple more coats of paint.

So, I give it a light sanding, dust it off, and spray it with the ole Krylon and it looks fine. I go a safe distance away to have a smoke and when I come back, the paint has cracked/rippled in some places. It looks like the surface of a sponge. Neither I, nor anyone else I've mentioned it to, have never seen paint do that before.

Any ideas as to what might have caused it? The area was smooth, there was no dust, there were no other chemicals on the helmet that the paint could have been reacting to...

The crappy thing is, it looked ok before... I should have just left well enough alone :6:

Ok, this is a weird one... I figured I'd ask you guys to see if this has happened to anyone else.

I did some more work on my helmet last night, and decided to add a couple more coats of paint.

So, I give it a light sanding, dust it off, and spray it with the ole Krylon and it looks fine. I go a safe distance away to have a smoke and when I come back, the paint has cracked/rippled in some places. It looks like the surface of a sponge. Neither I, nor anyone else I've mentioned it to, have never seen paint do that before.

Any ideas as to what might have caused it? The area was smooth, there was no dust, there were no other chemicals on the helmet that the paint could have been reacting to...

The crappy thing is, it looked ok before... I should have just left well enough alone :6:

I have had the same problem when I was painting a modified Kenner. I had already put on several coats of paint, I added one more when it was dry and it did that. It started pulling apart and cracking almost like it was shrinking as it was drying.

I have no idea what caused it though. The most recent coat was a new can of paint, maybe a bad can? I sanded mine down and got a fresh can with no more problems.

I have had the same problem when I was painting a modified Kenner. I had already put on several coats of paint, I added one more when it was dry and it did that. It started pulling apart and cracking almost like it was shrinking as it was drying.

I have no idea what caused it though. The most recent coat was a new can of paint, maybe a bad can? I sanded mine down and got a fresh can with no more problems.

Yeah, it's odd... I sanded it down and tested a small area, and got the same result... so I did a test on a small patch of ABS (my helmet is HIPS) and it dried just fine.

Could the sanding have screwed up the styrene? I mean, the paint worked fine on the other material, soo...

Well, Sandtrooper it is. :lol:

This problem has happened to me before. It is caused by not allowing the paint to fully cure. After your first coat, you can recoat once within twenty four hours. After that, you need to wait seven days. If you don't allow this time for the paint to fully cure, it will wrinkle, bubble, and/or crack. You just have to be patient. To fix the problem, let the paint fully cure, then with a fine grit sandpaper, sand down the imperfections and recoat it. You should be fine after that.

This problem has happened to me before. It is caused by not allowing the paint to fully cure. After your first coat, you can recoat once within twenty four hours. After that, you need to wait seven days. If you don't allow this time for the paint to fully cure, it will wrinkle, bubble, and/or crack. You just have to be patient. To fix the problem, let the paint fully cure, then with a fine grit sandpaper, sand down the imperfections and recoat it. You should be fine after that.

Yeah, that's similar to what I wound up doing. I had to do several "mistings" of paint, and then after a few days I was able to lay down some normal coats and finally got it back to normal.

Still, though, I am never painting that helmet again! :lol:

Well, with normal wear and tear, you'll probably need to touch it up from time to time. I used to keep my bucket in a pillow case until my girlfriend decided to make me a bag out of fleece witha draw string. Besides keeping it free of scratches, it works well for a quick wipe down for smudges, etc.

I've also heard of people getting a drum case and molding the foam for that purpose. Great for traveling as you don't worry about the case getting banged.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I agree with Seth, unfortunately, I didn't take his advisement closely enough.

For all those that are about to paint their armor too...use only a thin coat of paint or you will regret it!

I used Krylon plastic paint thinking it wouldn't do the same, guess again.

I just srewed up my armor and I did wait a few a few days before adding my second coat and/or gloss enamel coat. :6: (after screwing up with the paint, I used an enamel on another piece, samething happened) I don't think it's the time duration because the paint is"supposed" to be dry in fifteen minutes. It's definitely the amount you spray. The portion of armor that I added a thick coat of paint or enamel gloss is where the paint "bubble up" and the thin coated portion of the armor had no problems.

Good luck all, I'll be sanding down my paint for the rest of the day. <_<