Ladies in White?

Hello!! I'm looking to start my second (and much better) TK build, but I've been having a really hard time determining which kit to go with. I currently have an FX, which is much too large on me but was a good learning experience in terms of getting experience in basic armor assembly. I'm female, 5'6'', 120 lbs. (I have some shoe lifts to take me up to 5'8 to try and avoid the inevitable short trooper jokes). I'd like a kit that looks great trimmed down to size. Any suggestions?? Anyone else with my similar build who has pictures of their trimmed and assembled armor? I don't have any significant budgetary constraints or ABS vs HIPS pref. I just want a kit that will fit well. I'm very serious about getting this build right, and I'd really appreciate any advice.

Also it's tough to find tk shoes in a size 6 women's (Size 4 men's)!!! Are there any out there that come in sizes smaller than a men's 9?

Thanks!

Sasha

Here are the links of two female Stormtroopers that have achieved EIB status here on the FISD

There are more around here though.

--------

I'm not sure of their height or weight. (men never feel comfortable asking that kind of info :huh: ) You might wanna PM them and asked them about their armor build experiences.

I do know TK-7995, Gunners'N'Roses has the same kit as me which is ATA.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 5/11/2010 at 11:33 AM, sashinka said:

Hello!! I'm looking to start my second (and much better) TK build, but I've been having a really hard time determining which kit to go with. I currently have an FX, which is much too large on me but was a good learning experience in terms of getting experience in basic armor assembly. I'm female, 5'6'', 120 lbs. (I have some shoe lifts to take me up to 5'8 to try and avoid the inevitable short trooper jokes). I'd like a kit that looks great trimmed down to size. Any suggestions?? Anyone else with my similar build who has pictures of their trimmed and assembled armor? I don't have any significant budgetary constraints or ABS vs HIPS pref. I just want a kit that will fit well. I'm very serious about getting this build right, and I'd really appreciate any advice.

Also it's tough to find tk shoes in a size 6 women's (Size 4 men's)!!! Are there any out there that come in sizes smaller than a men's 9?

Thanks!

Sasha

I would recommend the AP Kit. It is slightly smaller in build than the other kits and should trim out nicely for you. SA has size 6 mens in stock right now. This is the smallest I have ever seen boots. They are extremely nice as well. Heres a link:---------

Let me know if I can help you further, Sasha. :salute:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I'm about 5'7'' on a good day and I managed to get my AP armor to fit just fine with only very little trimming around the ankles.

IMG_6036.thumb.jpg.b0ffd800829a4bdc4021e6a0845f2337.jpg

I've started building a TM kit recently, and I've noticed it's a wee bit larger than the AP, although it looks like it'll also fit okay with very few mods... I'm sure if you managed to get an FX to fit you'll be fine! I was also worried about this size problem in the beginning but I didn't want to be an Ewok! :o Anyway, it turned out to be a non issue. Just lucky I didn't want to be a Vader...

Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

TK6043 is 5'4", 120lbs and also wears size 4 shoes. She wears AP armour and painted jodhpur boots (from a riding equipment supplier).

The armour is assembled using the original seam lines, i.e. no extra trimming to make parts narrower to fit closer. The only extra trimming is in the areas at the back of the knees to allow more freedom of movement when walking and around an inch trimmed off the chest plate (Luke-style) to compensate for "short trooper syndrome".

In my opinion it's better to maintain the original lines of the suit as best as you can rather than adapt it to fit a female shape. The sculpt of TK armour is essentially a masculine shape. Changing it to follow a woman's shape will change the character of the outfit.

Yes, there is a little more room inside in areas like the shoulders and biceps - where men are typically broader - and less room around the hips and thighs - where a woman has her curves - but a good strapping system keeps it all in place and comfortable.

Something like AP, which is suited to a slimmer trooper, would make for a good choice.

you could always take some material off the top on an AP chest and just a little off the bottom.

you would have to use a heat iron and a steady hand.

you could have the back plate overlap the kidney plate to help the distance/height

by trimming the kidney plate with no top return, or you could cut and model in the return on the

top of the kidney plate.

legs are easy to shorten from the bottom of the shins,

and the top of the thighs.

arms shortened from the elbow, and biceps from the bottoms.

shoulder bells could be shortened just a bit as well, to keep proportions.

but it's all in how much the bells overlap the biceps.

best of luck.

I'd have to reccomend AP or ATA as a couple of quality makers.

i'm 5'5" 170lb and I am basically trimming a heck of a lot of things to fit me on my FX (which FX suited me on thigh area)

------

I took about an inch off the formarms...I need to cut away the chest piece so i can have little more gap between it and the belt from hitting eachother all the time...can see how close they are in the picture

atm i am cutting about an inch or so off the thighs length and the shins bottom so it can fit better

...besides i've grown use to that saying of being a short stormtrooper but i make it up for being uniquely being all black =D lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

BTW: What's been of Miranda? ("Spoox" from Alaskan Outpost.)

Haven't heard of her in a while...

She's not listed as TK on the 501st site, but she had almost finished her armor. She even trooped her TK.

She has great skills, and was doing a great job.

Any news about her?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I had a feeling it would come down to AP or ATA. I talked to a couple of guys at a con recently who also recommended TE2, but no one here seemed to recommend that for my situation. Any reason why?

Also - yes I understand some ladies like to cut their armor in a fem way, but I'm going for the traditional stormy look. :)

I really appreciate the input and will keep you up to date on my build! Thanks!

The only reason I can think that ATA and AP are the recommeded options is that they tend to run the smallest.

Being 5'6" 120 lbs, even in an AP or ATA you'll have plenty of room and may require padding to get it to fit properly.

ATA all the way! I'm 5'10 125lbs I had to do some hardcore trimming to get everything to fit especially the thighs! Only padding I have is in the arms. I have my build some where on here it's been awile.

Honestly the size difference between AP, TE2, and ATA is so minimal as to not really be a factor, IMHO.

I'm 5'4" and wear an untrimmed AP. I have removed a little bit of the cod, but that's not because of my height. ;)

I have also tried on an FX, but then I have the problem with the chest plate covering the ab buttons.

I am going to trim a little bit to the shins to make them more comfy, but with your height you should have a little longer legs than me. ;)

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2010 at 5:39 PM, Torisempai said:

i'm 5'5" 170lb and I am basically trimming a heck of a lot of things to fit me on my FX (which FX suited me on thigh area)

----------

I took about an inch off the formarms...I need to cut away the chest piece so i can have little more gap between it and the belt from hitting eachother all the time...can see how close they are in the picture

atm i am cutting about an inch or so off the thighs length and the shins bottom so it can fit better

...besides i've grown use to that saying of being a short stormtrooper but i make it up for being uniquely being all black =D lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...

So what kit would you guys suggest for a female 5'9", 150 lbs? I'm kinda curvy with wide shoulders and hips but smaller in the waist. I don't want to look like a girl, I want to look like a Stormtrooper :D Also ease of assembly is a factor since I'm kinda inept when it comes to all things mechanical.

• 3 weeks later...

So what kit would you guys suggest for a female 5'9", 150 lbs? I'm kinda curvy with wide shoulders and hips but smaller in the waist. I don't want to look like a girl, I want to look like a Stormtrooper :D Also ease of assembly is a factor since I'm kinda inept when it comes to all things mechanical.

TM or AP! pm sent!

On 5/11/2010 at 1:05 PM, DarkTrooper said:

Here are the links of two female Stormtroopers that have achieved EIB status here on the FISD

There are more around here though.

----------

I'm not sure of their height or weight. (men never feel comfortable asking that kind of info :huh: ) You might wanna PM them and asked them about their armor build experiences.

I do know TK-7795, Gunners'N'Roses has the same kit as me which is ATA.

The lovely wife (7795) is 5'10" and 129 lbs. She is sporting an ATA kit with both arms being the smaller size/side.

On 7/27/2010 at 10:05 PM, Amber said:

If your suit is fitted properly, you will look like a TK. The only thing I tell my wife to do is "stand like you got a pair" :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the smallest I have seen is 5'4"

What about a 5'2" 100lb female?...

Advice?

I think AP will do fine, just as the others have said earlier in the thread.

I'm building a TM and I'm 5'7 and 120 lbs, and some parts might actually be a wee bit too big for me. Nothing major though, and not anything some padding on the inside can't solve. I'm pretty sure any of the TE-linage armours would fit you nicely. TM too for that matter.

• 4 months later...

I am about to order my own set of armor, and I'm 5'5. I decided to go with ATA, as it is in my budget and seems like a pretty good build. In order to make my height the slightest bit better, I went and got a pair of Shoe Lift Inserts, which bump my height up about 3 inches. I honestly wasn't sure they would work, but then I shoved them in a pair of men's boots I have for another costume, and i towered over my mom.

If anyone gives me any 'Short Stormtrooper' comments, I'll arrest them for being part of the Rebel Alliance...