Which armor kit should I get

I am looking at the different types of armor kits for my first set of armor. What would you recomend for me? I am looking at either an FX or AM kit right now because I have heard that they are easier than others to put together. I have also heard that they are cheaper than other armor kits. What helmet would you recomend for me because I have heard bad things about the FX helmet?

Just fyi for those who will help me by giving me some recomendations I am approximatly 6 foot(probably a little bit taller than that), about 150 pounds. I am skinny, have long legs, and a small head.

Thanks all in advance for your help.

With those measurements, neither. In addition, FX is no longer in production - AM is it's successor.

At 6", 150 lbs, and skinny with a small head, you'd be great for an AP (more expensive than ATA but easier to build) or an ATA (less money than AP but takes more effort to build). They're both more challenging to build than AM, but both are ideal for thinner troopers.

The AM kit would be good height wise, you will need to do a lot of trimming though as the AM was made more for us bigger troopers....

With those measurements, neither. In addition, FX is no longer in production - AM is it's successor.

At 6", 150 lbs, and skinny with a small head, you'd be great for an AP (more expensive than ATA but easier to build) or an ATA (less money than AP but takes more effort to build). They're both more challenging to build than AM, but both are ideal for thinner troopers.

I agree. Being 150lbs you are better suited for smaller armor. If putting together armor really scares you and you want an easy kit, then you could go with AM which is bigger and try trimming the pieces down to make them smaller and more form fitting.

The AM armor is actually taller in length than the previous FX. When I compared the FX pieces to my AP derived armor, each piece is a half inch to an inch longer. They are wider too, but can be trimmed. I'm 5 foot 8 inches, and just under 150lbs and I've been able to trim it to fit in height and width so far.

If you're in the lower budget range, I say go for ATA, and AM.

Mid budget, go for AP and TE2

Higher budget, go for TM.

All of them can be made to fit you. The original troopers were 150 lbs and around 5 foot 10, so you're not far off from that at all. It depends on your budget and intended use, there's lots of threads discussing the merits of various armor types.

How well does ATA armor hold up? Is it durable enough to last years. I intend to use it to join the 501st and troop so it will need to be durable enough to last me. Also how hard is it to put to together.

One last question what types of armor is the cheapest money wise?

Its made out of HIPS and the AM, AP etc are made from ABS. The HIPS is a slightly more fragile then the ABS. Someone more experienced can explain why. However the HIPS is very durable even still. One of the guys I know here has had his HIPS kit for 5 years and it still looks great. Already I've dropped various pieces on the concrete in my garage and its held up very well. I'm planning on using it to get into the 501st also. Ill PM with some Armor info that was sent to me awhile back when I started out :duim:

ABS has more rubber mixed into it. Which makes it more flexible, but also gives softer pulls (ie softer edges) when molding the armor. But HIPS from what I've heard needs painting to get that gloss look you may want from a stormtrooper. Unless you're aiming at a sandtrooper.

ABS has more rubber mixed into it. Which makes it more flexible, but also gives softer pulls (ie softer edges) when molding the armor. But HIPS from what I've heard needs painting to get that gloss look you may want from a stormtrooper. Unless you're aiming at a sandtrooper.

Getting softer pulls using ABS is a MYTH, the main difference is the gauge of plastic used, the thinner the plastic the sharper the details, if the machine is set perfectly to the type of plastic used the sharpness will be the same with any type of plastic used, I must say, ABS is harder to work with and requires industrial strenght forming machine to achieve sharp pulls.

ABS is the best plastic money can buy and doesn't come cheap, double the price of hips, styrene ect... Our ABS plastic is custom made from non recycled plastic pellets for a higher quality. The ABS we buy is used to make Shower cabinets at a thicker gauge of course. Remember you get what you pay for!

Mark (Authenticprops)

Edited by ABS80

Getting softer pulls using ABS is a MYTH, the main difference is the gauge of plastic used, the thinner the plastic the sharper the details, if the machine is set perfectly to the type of plastic used the sharpness will be the same with any type of plastic used, I must say, ABS is harder to work with and requires industrial strenght forming machine to achieve sharp pulls.

Mark

Excellent! A word from the wise ones!

Meaning, If you know what you're doing, ABS is great. I personally think it would be the best for trooping. I don't own a armor yet, but I've read A LOT and base my opinions on what the collective here on FISD knows. I've also heard HIPS has the disadvantage to tear in some exposed corners unless proper care is taken. But I've also heard it's a minor issue, but it does seam to occur.

I'm happy to be corrected, because every time I do, I learn something new!

Edited by Locitus

I like the shiny look of the ABS and itd probably be my ideal choice. I like the fact that you dont have to paint it. Hopefully I can get an ABS kit someday. I do think that they are overpriced. You dont necessarily get what you pay for, ATA is a cheaper kit, AP is more expensive but ATA has really sharp details in the the faceplate on the helmet and the rest of the armor. It looks da%^ good when its all done.

Edited by JD-89

What kind?

White

Plastic

Accurate.

Sprinkled with build glue, passion and kindness for kids.

Worn Heavily.

First let me just say, you get what you pay for. It's especially true when purchasing armor. You will notice a difference in the look, feel, AND durability in the plastic. I own armor made of both ABS and HIPS... HIPS feel much more delicate to me.

I've been making detonator end caps with HIPS, and it can tear easily if your not careful. I can't imagine wearing an entire suit made out out of it, and having it holding up for very long. But I guess that depends on how careful your are with it.

And yes, one very important factor IS the thickness. But ABS still feels much tougher to me, it has more of a rubbery substance to it. And I would imagine it could take the stress more than HIPS could.

So there! ;)

Jess

Thanks guys. I am thinking I'm going to go with ABS armor because it seems to be more durable. Since I have a 3 year old I think the more durable it is the better off in case he gets into it.

One question though for those that have used ABS armor before, especially FX/AM armor since that is what I am looking at. How hard is it to trim to fit my body? Thanks for the help guys.

In all seriousness...

Styrene, Hips, ABS...

All can be just a durable as anything else. Hell, fiberglass, but not recommended. Heavy.

Like anything else in life its how you take care of it. The TM set I have is ABS, harder to trim but looks the biz. The FX was like a snap tight set, super easy to build and heavy ABS. Love that too. The TE2, easy to trim, wear and looks the biz. The ATA, easier to trim, looks the biz and easy to wear. Each set gets packed up the same way, carefully, and is toted to each event in its own chest.

Over the weekend I got to see a set of VT. Again, ABS but thinner than the ATA and the TE2. At least this set was.

The material is not the issue, its the builder, the wear and the storage. A set of styrene armor can out last ABS if and I do say IF... its taken care of.

Edited by Runnriottt

The damage done to my armors has always happened during transport. Opening my suitcase, although a hard shell one, and carefully packed and padded with towels and whatever, is always a suspenseful moment. My FX lasted almost two years before taking a hit during a flight, causing a 15-20 cm crack in the chestplate. Aside from that, it has held up admirably, no cracks or lines anywhere.

My current armor, a HIPS TM suit, is a totally different story. I bought it second-hand, and it already had quite a few hairline cracks...And it´s just been cracking up ever since. I´ve reinforced all the edges with spare bits of plastic and E6000, which have halted the deterioration somewhat, but I´m still having to do repairs between, and sometimes during, every troop. I always bring a bottle of superglue, some spare plastic and a roll of gaffer´s tape in my kit.

Still, I think it´s worth it, as I really love the TM suit. And besides, I believe that if you want to preserve your kit in pristine condition, you´re better off having it on a mannequin in your living room, rather than trooping in it. And that´s not for me.

Also, being a TD helps...Weathering is great for covering up repairs!

--------

The thing is, it's pretty tough as is. I cracked my FX suit too. It's just plastic after all. And HIPS is so light weight and so flexible / easy to work with! But, as the debate rages on it always comes down to what you prefer. And all that really matters is that we all look killer sweet anyway, right?! B)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

If you decide on AM...don't get the bucket that comes with it. Get a better one. The FX bucket(which is the one that comes with the AM full kit) is large. If you have a small head like you said and as thin as you are you will really look like a bobble head.

In all seriousness...

Styrene, Hips, ABS...

All can be just a durable as anything else. Hell, fiberglass, but not recommended. Heavy.

The material is not the issue, its the builder, the wear and the storage. A set of styrene armor can out last ABS if and I do say IF... its taken care of.

YOUR ABSOLUTELY WRONG! Material is a big issue

I have formed everything, styrene easily splits just by trimming if not carefull, ABS is used for bumper cars and interiors, shower cabinets ect.. it's a heavy duty plastic, styrene is mostly use for packaging purpose and very cheap. ABS cost alot more because you pay for durabilty!!!! Styrene in time will only get more brittle and turn yellow.

Mark (AP)