How to make binders?

Found another good one here:

:trooper:

Edited by Sly11
Liks removed as they no longer exist Sly 2020

• 2 weeks later...

I made a set of binders a while ago but they have since been lost. Those are great sites and I referenced the ones I built from one of them. It is sort of ironic though that some people will get so anal about how acurate their armor is and nitpick other peoples armor as being inferior and yet those same people will build a set of binders using one of these tutorials and paint them white and put blocks on them and yet as we can see from the screenshots the binders were golden colored and smooth (i have seen this happen and just laughed at the guy).

QiEw7mV.jpg

I suspect the reason a lot of people use PVC is that it's cheap, already round (e.g. no metal forming necessary), and won't scuff your armor.

What metal did you make yours out of? Do you think making them out of PVC and painting them would work OK?

This would make a great tutorial :)

• 7 months later...

The binders in rotj are grey and thick plastic looking with the blocks added this may be why people make binders as the tutorials..

Not a great pic but

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I have a resin pair of binders I got off eBay as a kit (yes, they're white with blocks) which I originally outfitted with regular magnets. I've since pulled them off and replaced with rare earth magnets which hold 10 times better and can pinch if you're not careful when putting them on. I also have a black canvas cloth bag that I store them on my belt that I can reach, pull out and put away without looking when I'm in armor.

I've thought about making more accurate metal looking ones--someday. But I'd definately use rare earth magnets again for holding power.

• 4 months later...
I have a resin pair of binders I got off eBay as a kit (yes, they're white with blocks) which I originally outfitted with regular magnets. I've since pulled them off and replaced with rare earth magnets which hold 10 times better and can pinch if you're not careful when putting them on. I also have a black canvas cloth bag that I store them on my belt that I can reach, pull out and put away without looking when I'm in armor.

I've thought about making more accurate metal looking ones--someday. But I'd definately use rare earth magnets again for holding power.

Trooperdad - where did you get the rare earth magnets from? Did you have to order them? I'm looking to make up a set of binders myself (and no they won't be screen acurate :P I like the way the white blocky ones look and if I need to be canon for something then I'll just remove them - or maybe I'll 2 sets one screen acurate and one not...)

• 9 months later...