Trooper Fit Club

bluehickey

4 hours ago, CountCunning said:

I was frankly pretty shocked at how much weight I'd lost in the week since starting my exercise plan. I haven't made very drastic changes to my lifestyle aside from now regularly exercising, and I'm pretty sure that I didn't bungle my weigh-in because I've always weighed myself at the same time of day wearing the same clothes each time. I'm considering bringing this up with my doctor because I'm not entirely sure if it's healthy to lose this much weight in such a short time period. If anyone has any advice, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm proud to have stuck to my plan, though, because forming new habits is difficult for me.

I have heard you can loose quite a bit of weight in the first week or two then this can start reducing, at first you are burning off the easy to get rid off fat. But in saying that it doesn't hurt to speak with your doctor, just to be on the safe side ;) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CountCunning said:

Thanks to everyone for the continued encouragement and advice. The FISD really is a great family to be part of

"Troopers helping troopers" :duim::salute:

• Like 2

Weekly update time!

Weight at start: 191 lbs

Goal weight: 150 lbs

Current weight (11 July): 180 lbs

I'm well on my way (weigh? Puns? Are those allowed here?) to meeting my goal and I'm glad I've got you folks for support. I should be able to start swimming in the next couple weeks, which I'm excited for because I haven't been swimming since last year.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, CountCunning said:

I'm well on my way (weigh? Puns? Are those allowed here?) 

:laugh1::duim:

b3bfa823950415b47f2f8c8b9b1dc700.jpg

• Like 3

Good result Dan, keep the updates coming and I look forward to see you reach that final goal.

• Like 2

I've had crazy network problems here which knocked me offline for several days. Painful but things are working again.

And I haven't stopped working out. :D Over 3 weeks straight. I feel so much healthier than I have in so long.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, revlimiter said:

I feel so much healthier than I have in so long.

Yes!! That's the result Adam Well done brother.  :jc_doublethumbup:

dRyr4VD.jpg

• Like 2

We had a pretty heavy storm yesterday that knocked out power and internet for a bit, so here's my day-late update.

Weight at start: 191 lbs

Current weight (18 July): 182 lbs

I've not made any major changes in my diet or exercise routine in the last week, so I'm going to chalk those 2 gained pounds up to muscle that I've been building. ;)

Here's my updated exercise plan since I've gotten used to the original 10km bike and elliptical sessions:

15km on recumbent bike and elliptical

4 sets of 25 bicep curls using 7 lb weights

Lane swimming (I'll probably be starting that up in August because the local pool keeps switching its lane swimming session times for unspecified reasons).

Keep up the great work, everyone!

• Like 6

On 6/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, jsilvius said:

My first appointment with the Medical weight loss group is Tuesday 5 July 2022.

So:

Official weigh in to start the program was 302lbs

Official goal weight is 220lb

In the two weeks since weight in I'm down 7 lbs and 1" on my waist.

The adjustment period hasn't be easy as my wife ended up having to have surgery and my work schedule got all screwed up, so I haven't be able to stick to the diet or the exercise schedule. But with all that behind us (fingers crossed), we hope to be settling into our routine. 

I've been averaging about 10k steps and "exercising" for at least 90 min a day (mostly just walking). The calorie intake is down to around 1200/day and the water intake is up to about 120oz a day. I'm hoping that once we get into routine the rest of this week, that I can get those numbers to move a bit more like I did the first time I did this program.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, jsilvius said:

The adjustment period hasn't be easy as my wife ended up having to have surgery and my work schedule got all screwed up, so I haven't be able to stick to the diet or the exercise schedule. But with all that behind us (fingers crossed), we hope to be settling into our routine. 

often happens when you have a new project. Hope your wife goes well and recovering.  

Step by Step brother.  :Stormtrooper_walk_south:

• Like 2

As Mario said, step by step. :jc_doublethumbup: You got this James! Any and all inches down are good inches.

As for my own update, I'm still doing well. I've stepped the workouts back slightly because I was sore all the time and risking injury. I ride the bike and do core stuff on rest days and don't do heavy lifting days every other day. I'll do about 2 heavy lifts per week and the other lifting day with more cardio style.

I also now own an EIGHTEEN LB (eight kg!!!) all metal DLT-19. It's ridiculous and insanely heavy. I want to be strong enough to troop with it someday. It's a goal. :laugh1:  I can carry it about 10 minutes before I wanna put it down.

• Like 4

On 7/21/2022 at 1:09 PM, revlimiter said:

As Mario said, step by step. :jc_doublethumbup: You got this James! Any and all inches down are good inches.

As for my own update, I'm still doing well. I've stepped the workouts back slightly because I was sore all the time and risking injury. I ride the bike and do core stuff on rest days and don't do heavy lifting days every other day. I'll do about 2 heavy lifts per week and the other lifting day with more cardio style.

I also now own an EIGHTEEN LB (eight kg!!!) all metal DLT-19. It's ridiculous and insanely heavy. I want to be strong enough to troop with it someday. It's a goal. :laugh1:  I can carry it about 10 minutes before I wanna put it down.

Keep up the great work! Who built the DLT-19? I'd love to have an all-metal E-11 myself, eventually

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountCunning said:

Keep up the great work! Who built the DLT-19? I'd love to have an all-metal E-11 myself, eventually

It's from Denix and it's really something.

My metal E-11 came from Blaster Factory. I highly recommend it!!!

• Like 2

Weekly update time!

Start weight: 191 lbs

Current weight: 184 lbs (gained 2 lbs since last week)

Last week really killed me when it came to exercise, so I've decided to cut back my elliptical and recumbent cycle distances from 15km to 10, but I've upped the resistance on each machine, so I'm (theoretically?) doing more work.

My garden has been going nuts, so I've been eating a lot of fresh produce which has been nice. I'm looking for more exercises to do with a set of dumbbells besides bicep curls, so if any of you folks have recommendations for dumbbell routines I'd appreciate them!

Thanks again for all your encouragement, and keep up the great work, troopers!

• Like 2

Dumbbell exercises I like:

Overhead press - it's a much more natural motion to do with dumbbells instead of a barbell since your head can fit between the dumbbells. Keep your shoulders back so that you're not cheating and lifting with your front shoulder (anterior head I think) and risking rotator injury.

Bent over row - I prefer no bench for this. Get your legs in a front leaning stance and rest your elbow on your front knee (you'll be bending almost all the way forward to do this). Then grab the dumbbell and row with the free arm. Switch after 45-60 seconds.

Tricep kick backs - basically the reverse of a bicep curl. You're leaning forward like with the row and straightening your arm. Gravity wants to make your arm bend into an L. Go slowly on the down stroke to get more out of it.

Dumbbell squats - pretty simple. Rack your dumbbells on your chest and then squat.

Dumbbell bench press - you can use the floor if you don't have a bench handy. I also like this more than using a barbell because your arms can naturally rotate on the down motion, which a barbell henders. You also can get a squeeze at the top for more chest activation. (Literally touch and then squeeze the two dumbbells together at the top of the motion.)

• Like 1

My own week update: I sprained my back... no. That's not right. My back got sprained last Thursday. I have no idea how and there was no sudden twinge when I was bending over or anything. It just started to slowly hurt while I was sitting at the desk and then it hurt a whole lot. I've been lurching around like Frankenstein's Monster for most of the week.  Not great.

I stretched for over an hour yesterday which helped a lot and was able to do an abbreviated workout today.  Not a lot of weight or cardio effect, but it felt good to work out.

Fortunately, not much in the way of side effects from 4 days of sedentary life and then today with a small workout. Crohn's still on the ropes and scared of my newly found health.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CountCunning said:

so if any of you folks have recommendations for dumbbell routines I'd appreciate them!

D7f4H7k.jpg

OR You may want to check this video up  

• Like 1

Front raises are super super rough on rotator cuffs. I would never suggest those to anyone. There's many other ways to get upper chest activation. Definitely be careful if you want to do those.

I do side lateral raises. Same thing, but directly to the side in a T formation.  It's more for trap activation though.

• Like 1

Don't forget you can also use body weight for various exercises and stretches.

Remember that a little more flexibility will help you gain other strengths as well as help reaching those awkward to get to clips and straps.

Things like active stretching help burn calories at the same time you are improving range of motion.

Correct stretching techniques are important as is body weight strength exercises to decrease the chance of strain injury which hampers your progress.

I was a martial arts instructor for a few years so reach out to me if you need ideas for some of the above.

Just DM me :)

• Like 1

My back sprain seems to have not been a sprain at all. It's just weak and in bad shape and I guess I strained it too much by diving into heavy exercise a month ago. I've been doing more PT style exercises to strengthen the weak lower back area. I've also been rolling around on the foam roller and some tennis balls. The balls let me hit pressure points and relax tense areas. It's made a world of difference.

I also managed to dig a hole in the middle of my right hand while working on my car. Too much screwdriver pressure in the center of the palm, lol.  Several layers of skin peeled up. Very yucky. It kept me from really grabbing much last week. It's mostly healed now. Stupid hand... 

So I've been jogging since I couldn't do much else. My dog LOVES it. I hate it. I'm not at all a fan of running, but it's been keeping me in workouts and raised heart rate.

Overall health is still much improved over a month ago. Just some weakness in the body that's slowly getting addressed.

40 minutes ago, revlimiter said:

My back sprain seems to have not been a sprain at all. It's just weak and in bad shape and I guess I strained it too much by diving into heavy exercise a month ago. I've been doing more PT style exercises to strengthen the weak lower back area. I've also been rolling around on the foam roller and some tennis balls. The balls let me hit pressure points and relax tense areas. It's made a world of difference.

I also managed to dig a hole in the middle of my right hand while working on my car. Too much screwdriver pressure in the center of the palm, lol.  Several layers of skin peeled up. Very yucky. It kept me from really grabbing much last week. It's mostly healed now. Stupid hand... 

So I've been jogging since I couldn't do much else. My dog LOVES it. I hate it. I'm not at all a fan of running, but it's been keeping me in workouts and raised heart rate.

Overall health is still much improved over a month ago. Just some weakness in the body that's slowly getting addressed.

Back pain is a problem I had time ago. Did some exercises to strengthen that lower area too. I love running but can't do it as regularly as I would like it but at least try to do it twice a week . 

Glad to read your health is improving, that improves our metal health too.  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  

• Like 1