Trooper Fit Club

bluehickey

I had a personal best, yesterday, clocking in 7.62 miles on my Fitbit! I'm at about 6.3 miles, today.<br><br>

...and I weighed-in at 164. Lost weight!<br><br>

Edit on 6/26<br><br>

Lost another four pounds. It's getting harder and harder, ugh.

Edited by rbsmith7

• 2 years later...
On 5/3/2010 at 3:13 PM, tigger68 said:

Okay, I'm going to give my first advice as a Personal Trainer.

We all need to lose weight. That said, if you build muscle, you will not lose weight as fast as you'd like. Also, when you first start working out, you will be building muscle bulk initally to handle the exercise of your body. You won't lose weight as fast. Also, you will never gain actual muscle cells. What you are doing is increasing the number of connective proteins inside those cells. Very technical and if anyone wants more detail they can PM me.

My second comment, for those who are concerned about their BMI, it is a good starting point, but really doesn't indicate your fitness level. In fact, in the late 1980's early 1990's the American College of Sports Medicine stopped using BMI as an indicator of fitness. Many of the olympic caliber athletes show up on the "overweight" section of the BMI charts, and we can all agree (I think) that they aren't overweight, or out of shape. BMI can be used as a general rule of thumb, but your main concern will be the body fat percentage. Some of the newer electronic scales available out there will give you a rough estimate of that percentage. Keep track of that. If you want to find your ideal weight, use the following based on age:

For Men:

20-40yrs 8-19% (healthy range)

41-60yrs 11-22% (healthy range)

61-79yrs 13-25% (healthy range)

For Women:

20-40yrs 21-33% (healthy range)

41-60yrs 23-35% (healthy range)

61-79yrs 24-36% (healthy range)

You can calculate your body weight by using online calculators, or formulas. It will require some measurements using a cloth tape. Remember though, this is just an estimate!

Good luck and let's keep each other movtivated!

I'm a 53 yo male at approx 180lbs. And 6 ft tall. Is that a good weight for my age? I would like to have a smaller mid-section. But don't want to loose weight. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. I also am going to order my TK ANH Stormtrooper armor soon and join the 501st ranks.

Been meaning to update. I started Keto Sept 2018 and lost 50 lbs in the last year. Feeling great and getting tons of stuff done.  Had big birthday back in January and finally got the house in order, kids moved out but never took anything with them.  Just got everything ready for Thanksgiving and will have more time to be in the shop and get back to working on my armour. I've got the helmet started and a spare pair of glasses to add inside so I can actually see.  Have a lot more energy and feel good, I had to buy new clothes since they were all too baggy.  I plan on losing more and don't yet know what my new goal will be.  Have been intermittent fasting as well and weekends tend to eat more and usually one meal a day OMAD and not feeling anxious when I don't have food all the time. I look forward to seeing how others are progressing. Hoping I can get my armour completed in the new year. Ideally would like to move to a warmer state in a year or so and want to see the difference between trooping here in Michigan and beyond.

Happy Turkey day.

Cashew

Since last November, (so it's been a whole year now, wow!) I've been working out using a Peloton bike!  I've lost a little weight, not much, probably 10 pounds or so.  I didn't have much to lose in the 1st place.  The difference for me has been seeing the inches come off my waist.  I can now fit in my TK and Vader so much better.  I don't feel like I'm wearing a girdle when I strap in to my TK and it feels great to have more energy.  I have more work to do on my diet.  For some reason, cheeseburgers and the occasional tequila find their way into my stomach.

I do love the Peloton and I would recommend it highly to anyone who's serious about working out.  The cost comes out to the equivalent of paying for a gym membership and after 2 years I'll have it paid off - then it'll be an even cheaper gym membership.  I can work out when I want however much I want and I don't feel guilt about being away from my family to do it: the bike is right here in my house.  I find it addictive: an urge to purge those calories away.  There are a couple of other 501st members who have joined the "cult" as well.  If you want more info, just let me know!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I weighed 198 when I built and completed my ROTJ TK. On 2/1, I tried on the costume and it would not fit. I weighed 220 and so I am in process of losing those twenty pounds. I have started tennis again, cut out sugar (sodas) and cut my main meal to one a day. I am hoping to fit into the armor by this Saturday and I will update with my current weight then. Thanks and I hope to get back on track.

• Like 4

Go for it David, good to see some are still finding value in this old thread.

You have the support of the detachment right behind you. :salute:

Keep us updated on your progress.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrFlavaFlave said:

I am hoping to fit into the armor by this Saturday and I will update with my current weight then

Go Go Go Trooper !!  Do it for You, Do it for the Empire.  looking forward for your progress !!  :Stormtrooper_walk_south:

• Like 1

I’m a personal trainer and Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor so if anyone what’s any advice on ways to train or eat I’m more than happy to try and help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well with the COVID-19, most of our April troops have been cancelled. I did try on the armor and it fit perfectly. I have lost almost 18 pounds and we keep it going. I think just limiting myself to one main meal and consuming a lot less sugar has helped. I hope to troop in May when all this pandemic has passed.

Thank you to my fellow TK brothers and sisters for the support. :peace:

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

So I was talking to our DL and he encouraged me to post my story here. 

5 years ago, I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and went through surgery and three months of chemo therapy.

With that therapy came a long time of being pretty much inactive, while eating all sorts of crap just to be able to actually taste something (for instance a normal slice of bread with cheese would taste like mushy cardboard, it still makes me sick thinking about it). And unlike what you'd expect, my appetite was pretty strong! 
So obviously I gained quite a bit of weight. Being the lazy butt I was, I never felt motivated to get up and do something about it even after I was through with the chemo. In fact it got even worse with me picking up an office job and joining a team with a virtually endless supply of sweets and other treats. So instead of losing weight, I kept going up.

The sad peak was just before (and during) our last trip to Disneyland at the end of February this year. I was at 89kg (196lbs) at 173cm (5'8"). Way too much... I still felt okay-ish, but seeing pics of our trip made me realise something needed to change. 

This was right around the time Corona got serious and counter measures were being taken. Which meant the bus I usually take to get to work was - and still is - not operating that early in the morning, forcing me to walk 3.5km each morning to catch my train. Instead of feeling sour about it, I used this as motivation to do even more.

Now I've been doing 15,000 steps on average each day for roughly the past 2 months and simply stopped eating non-stop like a pig. And it shows!

For the first time in 5 years, I am actually below 80kg (79.2 for the last couple of days, so around 174lbs), meaning I already lost a whopping 10kg!

My goal is to lose a couple more kilos still, but it was an amazing moment kitting up in my classic TK (built to the original RS suit size) for the first time in such a long time and actually fitting into it again (although it was still a tight squeeze... but we're working on that :))

So yeah, this is my little story. Shows that all it takes is determination and a little self discipline and it is entirely possible to get back into TK shape! 

Unbenannt.jpg

FB_IMG_1586954263336.jpg

• Like 8

On 3/16/2020 at 11:05 PM, MrFlavaFlave said:

Well with the COVID-19, most of our April troops have been cancelled. I did try on the armor and it fit perfectly. I have lost almost 18 pounds and we keep it going. I think just limiting myself to one main meal and consuming a lot less sugar has helped. I hope to troop in May when all this pandemic has passed.

Great David , amazing , you did it,  you can achieve every goal you set   :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, R2Dan said:

Shows that all it takes is determination and a little self discipline and it is entirely possible to get back into TK shape! 

Congratulations Trooper !!!, Stay safe, keep on being all you can be.  :salute:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well another update on the weight loss, since April I have gained back the 18 pounds plus a few more. :6:

I am back on track to the lose the weight again as I have stopped buying cokes, cut out snacks, running more often, and drinking more water. I cannot give up. The Empire needs me. I appreciate any support. :Stormtrooper_walk_south:

45 minutes ago, MrFlavaFlave said:

Well another update on the weight loss, since April I have gained back the 18 pounds plus a few more. :6:

I am back on track to the lose the weight again as I have stopped buying cokes, cut out snacks, running more often, and drinking more water. I cannot give up. The Empire needs me. I appreciate any support. :Stormtrooper_walk_south:

I think this is a collateral damage due to the covid thing. Many of us are dealing with just the same : more TV, food, less activity.   There's no way back Trooper keep it up :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 6:36 PM, Mad Dog 20/20 said:

I'm a 53 yo male at approx 180lbs. And 6 ft tall. Is that a good weight for my age? I would like to have a smaller mid-section. But don't want to loose weight. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. I also am going to order my TK ANH Stormtrooper armor soon and join the 501st ranks.

I'm 52, 6'0" barefoot, and about 185.  Most of the extra weight is predictably in my mid-section.  There are really only two options:

1) Increase cardio

2) Decrease calories

It also depends on your body type too. I'd focus less on weight and more on BMI.  Muscle for instance weighs more than fat, so when I was at my physical peak working out like a gym rat I was 175lbs, but I also had a hair under 10% body fat too.  That was in my 30s!  Unless I really increase my cardio, the only way to lose that 10lbs of belly fat is to change my diet, e.g. I eat less at dinner, drastically cut down on beer, ice cream, cookies, etc.  More veggies in my diet.

I have weight targets now too, like "no ice cream/sweets" unless I get under 180 and then only once a week.  Or, no beer for a month or until I hit my weight goal.  The hardest part is my wife is a phenom cook (e.g. better than most restaurants), so cutting back at dinner time has been sooo hard.

I realize we are all in COVID, but I think that just means we need to up our game. No reason you can't do some routine in your living room, even if it's just 15 minute/day.  It can include pushups, squats, crunches, leg lifts, etc.   At lunch time since I'm WFH, I put a pack on and go for a walk, even 20 minutes is better than anything you'll find on the news these days.  I am up to 24lbs and that's getting too easy, so will up that weight to my target of 30lbs, which is a good backpacking weight when I go camping.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Update: I wore the armor tonight and I had room to spare. The last time I wore it the Velcro barely fit and today I had almost two inches to spare. :peace:

I am so happy that walking every day, cutting out a meal, and reducing my sugar intake has greatly helped me. Thank you!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MrFlavaFlave said:

Update: I wore the armor tonight and I had room to spare. The last time I wore it the Velcro barely fit and today I had almost two inches to spare. :peace:

I am so happy that walking every day, cutting out a meal, and reducing my sugar intake has greatly helped me. Thank you!

Great job trooper.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrFlavaFlave said:

Well done Trooper keep it up !!! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Greetings Troopers!

I have wanted to post something here in the Trooper Fit Club ever since finding this topic in the forums some time ago, but haven’t worked up the nerve to do so. I think this whole thing is a great idea for Troopers like me who don’t feel as comfortable in their armor as they would like to, and who want to make changes to improve their Trooping experience.

I joined the 501st back in the Summer of 2019, back then I weighed about 230lbs and had my armor custom made to fit a slightly smaller version of myself. When I tried my armor on for the first time, I LOVED the way I looked in it, it was a snug fit, but I had good intentions to lose a few pounds at the time, so that didn’t bother me at all. I was eager to start Trooping!

The pandemic began at the end of that year and unfortunately, in my area, that meant no events for the foreseeable future. I spent that time doing photo shoots, adding electronics and other modifications to my armor, and earning my EXPERT INFANTRY BATTALION award (#996) to become one of the first 1000. Regrettably, since then, I’ve put on another 25 pounds, making my armor more and more uncomfortable to wear.

I was going through the photos of my most recent Troop this morning and couldn’t help but feel ashamed of myself for letting it get this bad. I realized that if I don’t make some changes now, I may not even fit in my armor soon, and then I’ll have robbed myself of some great Trooping experiences that I’ll be sure to miss out on as a result. So, here I am.

The purpose of this post is to hold myself accountable, because no one can do anything about any of this but me. This way however, I’m amongst other, likeminded individuals who understand exactly where I’m coming from and exactly what I’m aiming for, so thank you in advance for any support you offer me along the way. This will not be a short journey, but it will be worth it in the end.

YaFmTKt.jpg

Height: 6ft 0in

Current Weight: 255lbs

Goal Weight: 215lbs

My plan to lose weight starting right now is to begin jogging a mile in my neighborhood every night, an easy enough exercise goal for a beginner, and to cut sugary beverages completely out of my diet, a big issue for me, and drink only water in stead. These are certainly not the most drastic of changes and I’ll certainly add other exercise and diet goals as time goes on, but this will be the foundation that I intend to build on, as I do so I’ll post updates here. Thank you fellow Troopers for your invaluable support. With luck, and hard work, I’ll have good results to report back here with a month from now.

Edited by Order and Justice
  • Like 7

Good luck with the weight loss, it's easy to put on but hard to get off so I don't envy you. I've had some illnesses and I have the opposite problem of loosing too much so I've had to add some padding in places, just can't win ;) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Order and Justice said:

Greetings Troopers!

I have wanted to post something here in the Trooper Fit Club ever since finding this topic in the forums some time ago, but haven’t worked up the nerve to do so. I think this whole thing is a great idea for Troopers like me who don’t feel as comfortable in their armor as they would like to, and who want to make changes to improve their Trooping experience.

I joined the 501st back in the Summer of 2019, back then I weighed about 230lbs and had my armor custom made to fit a slightly smaller version of myself. When I tried my armor on for the first time, I LOVED the way I looked in it, it was a snug fit, but I had good intentions to lose a few pounds at the time, so that didn’t bother me at all. I was eager to start Trooping!

The pandemic began at the end of that year and unfortunately, in my area, that meant no events for the foreseeable future. I spent that time doing photo shoots, adding electronics and other modifications to my armor, and earning my EXPERT INFANTRY BATTALION award (#996) to become one of the first 1000. Regrettably, since then, I’ve put on another 25 pounds, making my armor more and more uncomfortable to wear.

I was going through the photos of my most recent Troop this morning and couldn’t help but feel ashamed of myself for letting it get this bad. I realized that if I don’t make some changes now, I may not even fit in my armor soon, and then I’ll have robbed myself of some great Trooping experiences that I’ll be sure to miss out on as a result. So, here I am.

The purpose of this post is to hold myself accountable, because no one can do anything about any of this but me. This way however, I’m amongst other, likeminded individuals who understand exactly where I’m coming from and exactly what I’m aiming for, so thank you in advance for any support you offer me along the way. This will not be a short journey, but it will be worth it in the end.

YaFmTKt.jpg

Height: 6ft 0in

Current Weight: 255lbs

Goal Weight: 215lbs

My plan to lose weight starting right now is to begin jogging a mile in my neighborhood every night, an easy enough exercise goal for a beginner, and to cut sugary beverages completely out of my diet, a big issue for me, and drink only water in stead. These are certainly not the most drastic of changes and I’ll certainly add other exercise and diet goals as time goes on, but this will be the foundation that I intend to build on, as I do so I’ll post updates here. Thank you fellow Troopers for your invaluable support. With luck, and hard work, I’ll have good results to report back here with a month from now.

Definitely, one of being an Stormtrooper advantage/disadvantage is that you must be in shape :56pullhair: wont be easy but we are sure you're going to achieve this new  "Badge" .  Good luck and keep us updated. :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Definitely, one of being an Stormtrooper advantage/disadvantage is that you must be in shape :56pullhair: wont be easy but we are sure you're going to achieve this new  "Badge" .  Good luck and keep us updated. :jc_doublethumbup:

Definitely. The fitness requirement is one of the many reasons I chose to become a Stormtrooper. If I’m going to wear the armor of the Emperor’s finest, then I need to train like the Emperor’s finest.

• Like 2