Trooper Fit Club

bluehickey

Some great stories and great pics out there.

Bernard, any advice/examples you have will be more than welcome. I am very happy to have more people with advice here on the boards.

Okay, I need to give an update and I apologize to Pandatrooper for not doing it sooner.

If you've been following along with this forum, back in May Pandatrooper offered a free EA Sports Active More Workouts Game for the Wii to anyone who would take the 6 week challenge and report back. I took him up on the offer. He sent me the game and I did the 6 week challenge with a small break in the middle for my birthday (sorry, had to eat birthday cake and pizza for my birthday).

I have to thank him for the game. I did lose quite a bit of weight, which caused problems for me trying to get my officer's tunics to fit for pictures, LOL, I will recommend this to others, with some advice.

First of all, if you are severely overweight as I am, this game is limited to the types of exercises you can do. Unfortunately that was one of the downsides to the game. Other than that, my own personal boredom factor kicked in, and I had to remember why I was doing this, and so I posted a pictures of a TIE Pilot, NovaTrooper, and TK next to my TV to remind me why I want to lose the weight. I needed some motivation.

All in all, it is an excellent program. I do recommend it if you want to lose weight.

Okay, I'm done for today.

TTFN

I've been on a roller coaster so to speak when it comes to how I have been looking at/approaching my weight/health.

What I am currently doing is living by these guidelines:

1. Exercise 5+ times per week

2. Drink 4+ glasses of water per day

3. No sweets or treats

4. No second helpings unless fruit or veggies

5. Snack on veggies or fruit

6. Additional activity or exercise:

-frisbee, catch, bike, ripstik, snowboard etc.

One free day per week.

What is making the biggest difference for me mentally is the exercise. One the days when I exercise I feel physically great all day long and I naturally end up making much better food choices and can much easily stay on target with food. On the days that I don't exercise, I feel flabby, fat, gushy, soggy and a little bit hopeless, which makes me to not care much about my food choices. So, I am really making an effort to exercise as much as I can. My plan is to exercise 6 out of the 7 days each week! (fingers crossed!)

Okay, I'm going to put in some advice here. Ryan, don't get down because you're not exercising on those days you "take off" think of it this way...on your "day off" are you doing other things? Playing with your children? Trooping? Finding those droids we've been looking for? (oh yeah, that's the MEPD, sorry.) Everything you do that is outside of sitting down watching college football (my weakness right now) can be considered exercise. So don't feel fat, flabby, soggy and generally useless, you're doing some physical movement which is better than just sitting there. Look at it that way. Go back to my posts eariler about the whole denial, binge, guilt circle.

I'm also going to give some more advice. You have to rest during the week. Most of us here are probably not going to be winning any olympic gold medals in the track and field events any time soon. We don't need to work out 24/7/365. In fact, even olympic caliber athletes don't work out 24/7/365. Your body needs time to recover from the exercise. Think of these days as recovery days. If you don't have them your body will break down, it won't be able to burn the fat, and you'll end up sitting on the couch munching on chips and drinking soda to drown your sorrows as your body forces you to recover.

So, thought for those days when you aren't working out:

This is the day my body is taking to recover. I'm not gaining any weight, and I'm probably still losing it. I don't need to worry about how I'm doing today, It is actually helping me maintain my weight loss. By taking this rest day I can go at it again without worrying about overtraining and downtime.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been a while and have not got around to posting this because, school, marching band, college search, etc. But anyways I now weigh at about 190 lbs, 2 weeks ago I was about 185lbs, but then all the hard work was over. I also would like to post some progress pics but my camera is not realy working, but for now I am a happy fit 16 year-old boy.

Name: Tanner

Hight: 6 feet 4 inches

Weight: 190

Body Mass Index: Normal/Healthy?

And if you don't beleve Marching Band is hard work, click on the link below :)

Congratulations Tanner! And yes, I've been a marching band member, and you do work really hard. Not quite as hard as the DCI guys (at least not in my case) but you work hard. Remember a fluctuation of 5 lbs in a week isn't anything to be too concerned about.

Okay, I've been a slacker, but I've been searching for a job and not having any success. Which has made it really difficult for me to keep my mind on working out and gtting fit. Yes, even Tiggers have their "down" days. Unfortunately for me, I tend to munch my way to comfort, which then makes me feel awful. So I'm having to remember that I don't need to munch my way out of being discouraged.

Okay, that said, the holidays are rapidly approaching and if your family is anything like mine, then it is all about the FOOD! We tend to eat our way through the holidays with lots and lots of good foods (both my brothers-in-law are fantastic cooks) and so I'll be posting some ideas to help us keep our svelte figures... :P

Also, if people want to post their success or even lack thereof on this board that would be wonderful. Just wondering how everyone has done over the past several months.

TTFN...ta ta for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, there may be problem. I am

Height: 6 feet 4 inches

Weight: 180

Diet: the size of a small child

I can't eat if I try, sure it is nice not have a gut anymore but I eat on rare occasion. I need to get food in my system, but it won't stay down. What is happening to me. I need to go see my doctor about this.

Please do so, Tanner. What you're describing is abnormal at best, and potentially a real health issue that if unchecked can have long-term ramifications. :(

Tanner, I hope you were able to get into your doctor. This is not something to mess around with. You should have a larger diet than that of a small child, just based on your build. :o

Okay, for the rest of us, here are some suggestions for holiday indulging without guilt.

1. DON'T FAST!!!! I know it is tempting to fast before going to a party because you think you're going to consume more goodies there than you should and you don't want to exceed your calorie count for the day. Well, if you fast, then the chances are you would eat more than you had planned to in the first place. Your body is HUNGRY! This is not a good practice and shouldn't be considered a good way to avoid gaining those extra pounds over the holidays. Instead, eat regularly during the day, and then before going to the party drink a glass of water. As long as you aren't ravenous when you head to the party chances are you won't overeat.

2. DON'T BINGE/FAST!!! Again, a common problem during the holidays. When you binge, you stretch out your stomach for about 2 weeks. If you binge on a meal, say Thanksgiving, and then fast afterwords you are more likely to binge again because you feel ravenous, and your body thinks you are starving. It would be better for you to eat regularly, and take smaller portions at the meal. If you eat more slowly during the meal, chances are you won't binge and your body will have a chance to send a "satiation" signal to your brain telling it that you are full. Practice before the big day listening to your body. Your body knows what it wants/needs and is more than willing to tell you if you just listen. This is vital to not gaining weight over the holidays.

3. Sweets The best part of the hoilday in my opinion. Around my house that means sugar cookies, cheesecake brownies, and my grandmother's fudge. The temptation to overeat is huge! Try to limit your sweet intake to only one cookie after dinner, or one brownie or one piece of fudge... Eating one or two won't kill you and won't destroy your weight loss. (I refuse to use the word diet. Like Garfield I think diet is "to die with a 'T'.")

Okay last but not least NO GUILT! NO GUILT! NO GUILT! Better to have slip ups than go through the whole binge-guilt-fast-binge-guilt-fast cycle which is very common. Enjoy your holidays and don't feel any guilt.

Edited by tigger68

My body is dropping weight faster than I can put it back on. I am going to the doctor later today. Hopefully he can explain why my body is not taking in normal portions of food. I'm at 174lbs now and I just want to put the weight back on. At this point I don't care what type of weight it is because 174lbs isn't healthy for my age and height.

I have lost 10 lbs now doing P90X. I am going into my fourth week. Following the eating plan and no booze has helped, but it is hard when my wife is eating mince pies and chocolate! :D

I want to slim down for my movie accurate ROTJ Endor suit.

Go on Joe you can do it mate , my weight is 12 stone and my hight is 5.6 yes i know short ars stormy:lol: , i want to lose 1.5 stone well i was doing ok i lost o.5 stone untill i went to Disneyworld Orlando put it back on , so now iam back to 12 stone the prob is all this snow at the moment i feel like a hamster hibernating oh well need to get my self down my gym just need to get the mind set;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you are ok, Tanner. :)

Hope everybody is surviving all the holiday food.

I have plateaued at 142, and goal weight is 125. I'm 5'4", so vertically challenged.

I HOPE to get my AP kit soon. I think it will be another month. It would be nice to be

closer to my goal weight when fitting my armor. I'm combining better eating with exercise.

I jog (really darn slooow), lift some free weights, but mainly have to watch what I eat.

I know I have to stop the beer (miller lite!) and the cookies/cakes.

I like the post about NOT FEELING GUILTY!!! ;) I agree! Everyday is a new day, don't

put so much pressure on yourself that you don't even want to start. Give yourself a break.

Find MORE things that you like about yourself than dis-like. Have way more positive thoughts

than negative. Have smaller goals, and concentrate on those. They will eventually add up.

Find a way to enjoy the exercise, or at least reward yourself with positive thoughts/attitudes

after you've completed your workout. There are so many times I drag myself to the gym and hate

being there the whole time - BUT I feel good that I at least went.

Right now I am hiding upstairs while my teenager and his bud are eating a meat lovers pizza.

ARRRGH! haaa haaaa.... I had a salad and am not feeling hungry.. but I shore could eat 3 pieces right now!

So, for everybody - YOU CAN DEEEEW EHT!!!!!

jnnfr72, welcome to the fit club. Okay, I'm going to pass along some more advice, that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. The Ideal Weight or BMI standard is not entirely accurate. Yes I know that is what everyone uses, but honestly, it is all about the fat percentage in your body. So if you can afford it, go get a scale that not only weighs you, but also does fat percentage estimates. I say estimates because the only accurate way to measure fat percentage is through hydrostatic weighing, i.e. they submerge you in water and take weight measurements, the more fat, the less you weigh in water, and yes they do take into account the air in your lungs. At least if done accurately.

Fat percentage is the best way to determine what your weight should be. I am going to look up the latest research on this and get back to you, in the meantime, don't anyone stress especially this time of year. Remember the no guilt, and that we can all go on the "Carrotstickendietisch" after New Years...what is the "Carrotstickendietisch" you ask? Take 200 carrots, peel and slice into sticks...eat, wash down with water. Repeat. Comes from a comedic look at Christmastime by Sandra Boynton.

Ciao for now!

Tanner, Hope your swelling / pain from the wisdom teeth gets better! Sounds like things are getting better. Hang in there.

Hi Tiffany! I like the carrot-stick-diet. I'm going to peel some today! haaa haaa!!! Thanks for the good info on weight. We got lucky, and 1 of my hubby's friends didnt want her bmi scale anymore. Not sure it's all the way accurate, but it is probably close.

My hubby has the P90X.... I've not tried it. I need to be brave and try!!! :)

I did shovel the whole driveway this morning, though. That HAD to have burned off some fat.

Hello everyone,

It was a surprise for me to find this thread.

Well in my case, It might not look like but when I received my armor back in May I had extra 10 kilos on me, (about 22 lbs) I wasn't overweight, but I new that my armor it just will not fit me as I wanted to, so I decided to loose some weight; I know everyone is different, but I HAD ONE GOAL IN MIND; I wanted to pursue Elite Status (Expert Infantryman) I wanted my armor to look as accurate as possible, but if I really wanted to look good in my armor, I had to loose some weight. It was a must. :smiley-sw013:

As well for me trooping has given me motivation to lose weight and eat better. My goal served as a huge motivation. When I started my own program I was 90 kilos and now I weight 80.3 kilos, I’ve lost 9.7 kilos (about 21 lbs).

Unfortunately I don’t have a picture with my armor on when I had the extra 10 kilos, but trust me; I did lose the extra weight I wanted.

I really wish that everyone reaches their goals. :duim:

90Kilos.jpg

Pictures of me in my armor thread:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=13659

Tanner, good luck putting the weight back on. Remember just one step at a time, take it one day at a time okay?

As for the rest of us...the new year is upon us. Time to look back over what we've done, or haven't done this past year, remember NO GUILT! NO REGRETS! And that we have a new year to keep working on looking the best we can in our armor.

Happy New Year Fit Club!

P.S. I'm off to enjoy my non-alcoholic full-fat egg nog...anyone want to join me?

• 1 month later...

Okay we're in the new year and I hope everyone is still working on things.

I'm posting here because I've done down a whole clothing size. Yep, a whole size. Haven't dropped that many pounds, but who cares? My clothes fit better. Except for my new ISB tunic, that I tailored to my measurements when I as a little bit bigger. Oh well, I'll just have to take it in, but not until later.

Also, I just applied for a position as a Strategic Data Analyst with the makers of P90X. Should be interesting and if I get it I'm going to be moving back to L.A. Kind of weird, but right now with the winter weather, I don't think I'd mind.

Anyway, if people want some direction, or motivation, let's keep this group going for the new year okay? I think BlueHickey had a great idea with this thread.

TTFN

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, just found this. I've been reading and makes me want to work harder. I am currently 245lbs and 5'6.5". I am told I don't look that big, but I don't always believe them. I actually just joined the VA's MOVE program, weight loss for vets. I really want to loose some weight cause I just ordered some armor today.I've been working on eating better lately. One of the things I have been doing is changing what I eat for lunch. There is a grocery store around here called Weagmans, they offer these $6 meals that you just heat and eat. They offer things like chicken french and baked tillapia and entrees with your choice of two sides. They have things liked steamed garden veggies, honey glazed carrots, and greens with almonds. I have been getting these for lunch lately instead of a big mac at McDonald. My 4yo son and I have also been doing a program that this same grocery store does where you pick a color or two each week and have to eat a veggie and fruit of that color each day. I love veggies anyways, but it has helped my son cause he is a picky eater. I have a Wii Fit but I haven't been able to use it in a while, need to get new cables to connect it to the tv with. I do get exercise though, I LARP. I go out once a month for three days non stop and fight with foam swords, staffs, and such. We practice at least once a week. I am trying to cut down on my gaming, but I love my dragon age. Hoping I can start losing more weight soon. Any ideas would be welcome, want to look good in my armor when it gets here :D.