Trooper Fit Club

bluehickey

Adam,

You might want to figure out how many calories you need to stay healthy and then figure out how many to reduce to lose weight. There is a previous post here in the fit club outlining how to do that and get results.

And to everyone here...keep up the good work!

Hi All ... I thought I'd jump in here and introduce myself and my experience. If you want to touch base the best idea is to PM me as I'm not on-line consistantly, but I'll watch this post from now on.

I am a Dr. of Traditional Chinese Medicine (4 year program with an internship in 2 hospitals in China) - Yep that means needles, but also herbs, diet, food therapy, nutrition, massage, etc. Add to that the fact that March 1st I was 280lbs and as of July 1st I am 205 lbs. there is some great advice and some great stories here and I'd like to help out if need be and chuck in my own to cents ...

So here's my 2 cents:

How I lost 80 lbs in 4 months.

- For a week before I changed my diet I wrote down what I'm eating and as importantly when.

I tuned that diet upside down, ie: the most eaten becomes the least and vice versa. For me that was drastically cut down on carbs and fat and increase fruits and veggies.

- I made Breakfast or Lunch the biggest meal of the day and supper the smallest.

You expend almost all your energy during the day and almost none at night so, while delicious, large dinners aren't the best for weight control.

- I eliminated eating after 6pm.

Basically I just sat around in the evenings so this food wasn't being used for anything except storage.

- I do light exercise everyday - even if it's a 15 minute walk.

Any exercise is good exercise. I was pretty heavy so I needed to start somewhere. Now I'm up to about an hour a day of not so light exercise.

- Cut out Salt, white sugar, processed / canned food, beers / booze, fruit juices* and dairy.

Sounds pretty harsh; but we, as a species, evolved (and by evolved I'm talking hundreds of thousands of years) without these things in our daily diet. Sure they may have been a treat every once and a while but they were not consumed in the proportions we do today. As my family still wanted a bit of salt I switched to sea salt - you'd be surprised at how many of the boxes of table salt list "sugar" as an ingredient.

* - I should mention that here I mean frozen juice. It's basically concentraded fruit (good) along with all the concentrated sugars (not so good). I still enjoy fruit in my diet - especially with cherry season in full swing, raspberries and strawberries starting and apples, peaches and plums around the corner.

- I switched to fresh Organic fruits and veggies, Organic meats, sprouted grain breads, and incorporate local non-pesticide produce.

Ok - I just read this and I sound like a hippy. I'm not. I'm just (now) very health conscious. And as we have a local farmers market that is fantastic I'm taking full advantage of it.

- I started Ketolysis and stay with it.

In short your brain runs on sugar - That's it that's all. Your body however stores fat. So if you are eating sugars this intake will feed your brain. If you don't take in sugars then your body will be forced to start to convert fat to food for the brain (Ketones). And there we go. Burnin' fat without doin' nothin'. Atkins is a modified Keto Diet.

- I make sure to eat .5 - 1 grams (edited - sorry for the mistake) of lean protein per pound of body weight per day

this keeps body muscle.

- I took a good quality multi-vitamin.

I made sure to take this with a meal as some vitamin (A, D, E, K) are fat soluabe and as such need fat to be absorbed.

- Have a bowl of healthy quick snacks on the counter or in the fridge.

I used this a s easy access food if I was all of a sudden hungry. I also ate carrots while I cooked. I've got a 4 year old son and a wife who are not joining me on this journey so I needed to be able to cook them meals without loosing my mind. After a while I stopped even being hungry around stew, pizza, pasta, fajitas, corn chips (great in chili), etc.

- Drink Water, Water and more Water.

Sure at first I was peeing like a race horse but now I feel fantastic.

- And best of all - I never beat myself up for having a treat / "falling off the wagon". I focused on what to do next time the craving hit and how better to manage the situation.

- Ok and this may sound corn-ball but I need to mention it: I bought myself a cologne I don’t usually get due to price (I love the high end Hugo Boss and so does my wife but that's for a different post in a different forum) and some tooth whitening strips. The reason being that I was changing who I was both physically and mentally. I wouldn’t be wearing my old cloths; I wouldn’t be eating the same foods I wanted to do a full change. The new scent and whitening were for me to re-enforce I was different and that difference is a positive thing.

The best piece of advice in this nature was from an old teacher of mine:

"It took you and your body many years to reach this state of imbalance and it's taking a lot of work on your part to maintain this imbalance. Eat proper, eat better, eat basic. With time your body will heal itself. But while it's healing you must pay attention to yourself and find out why it was important to you to spend so much time and energy getting and staying out of balance".

Liu Fung sounded a lot like Yoda some times.

Disclaimer: I should mention that I have training and that I consulted a physician before and during this weight loss. Such programs and plans are not for everyone and as such you NEED to consult a health care professional IN PERSON before starting. I must stress seeing someone in person as over e-mails or in forums no one can tell your blood pressure, do any blood work, get a feel for your true mental state, or safely determine if this or another approach would be best.

Edited by ELP

Okay Troopers, hang on to your helmets. I have always been a big guy with a large frame. Most people guess that I weigh in at around 300...I wish! I am 6'1" and started this program at 501.8 lbs. The wife (she also has a weight problem, but I will leave details to her...) and I decided to get healthy and join the 501st. I went to my doc and started a lifestyle change program. They ran a BIA test (BioImpedence Analysis) that measures lean mass vs. water mass vs. body fat. It gives you an accurate idea of how much fat you need to lose, instead of overall weight (which can flux often due to water weight). The results say I must lose 221.8 lbs of body fat. After week one, I lost 4 lbs of fat. I now weigh a total of 493.5lbs, and have 217.8 lbs of fat to lose. I am only allowed to weigh at the doc's office during my appointments (they are the only one's with the BIA scale any way), so I won't weigh-in again until 8/4. I am following a balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and small amounts of grains, dairy, and oils. For exercise I am required to do 20-30 mins of aerobics 3 times a week, minimum. After my body fat decreases more, I will be adding weight training to the program.

In the meantime, I plan to join the 501st as a Grand Admiral (a true fat cat) and gradually work toward a fit, healthy body that can fit in armor!! Let the journey begin!!

Sean, it sounds like you are doing this in a sensible and proper manner. Welcome to the Fit Club! We're here for each other and support each other doing this difficult thing called getting in shape and losing weight. Keep reporting on your progress, and good luck with your Grand Admiral.

Sean - Good for you. The first step is the hard ... but the first few can be really TOUGH!!! Make sure to drop in here for moral support, updates and to vent and ask questions!

And good for you for the weight loss - 4lbs in a week may not sound like a lot especially if you look at it in terms of what you have left, but slow and steady wins the race!

A friend of mine dropped 140 lbs in 10 months ... Sounds like a lot except when you do the math that's 14 pounds in a month, that's under 4 lbs per week. You're on a good path! And frankly you don't want to drop faster than that or you'll litterally spend a small fortune in clothing! Belts are not cheap my freind.

Stay on Program and you'll get there.

Edited by ELP

Love this thread! I am just beginning my first armor kit, so I haven't any pics to post, but I have seen what happens when you get overweight troops going around. Rebels every where see them getting slack, and there's a riot before you can say "Death Star". I'm at healthy weight but the whole 'muscle to fat' ratio is in need of some hard work, so I'll keep supporting you guys and working on myself too! :smiley-sw013:

John - Enjoy working on the muscle to fat ratio ... Just remember that muscle is denser than fat so as you improve your ratio, (loose fat and gain muscle) your weight will probably go up. A fun way to check the ratio is to jump into the deep end of a pool. Hold your breath and see where you float. As your ratio improves you'll sink more and more. And if you're already a sinker try holding a bigger breath of air (you just need to be able to hold roughly the same amount every time). This isn't precise but it'll give you relative results.

Paul - Congrats! That is a great feeling! Like putting on that old pair of jeans that have been lurking in the back of the closet. Soon we'll have to start a post in the Armour Build Area: "How to Un-shim your Armour".

Edited by ELP

John - Enjoy working on the muscle to fat ratio ... Just remember that muscle is denser than fat so as you improve your ratio, (loose fat and gain muscle) your weight will probably go up. A fun way to check the ratio is to jump into the deep end of a pool. Hold your breath and see where you float. As your ratio improves you'll sink more and more. And if you're already a sinker try holding a bigger breath of air (you just need to be able to hold roughly the same amount every time). This isn't precise but it'll give you relative results.

I can personally attest to this one. I have a very good body fat percentage (usually stays between 8% - 10%), yet I typically weigh between 210 - 220 lbs. Good thing, except in the swimming pool - I tend to sink like a stone. :P

Tanner - Well Done!!! It feels pretty damn good to hit those goals, and as was mentioned the armour fits better!

Post the pictures out when you can skinny.

Hey everyone just a quick update, I just met my goal of 200 lbs but computer broke and i can't post pics with my phone, I have no more weight loss goals bit to maintain this weight and a healthy lifestyl.

After 8 months of unemployment, I have landed a new job. This did throw my cooking and diet plan into a little chaos for a few weeks, resulting in eating on the run way to often for a healthy weight-loss plan. However, at today's Dr. visit for my BIA scan, I lost 5.3 lbs of body fat and a little water weight. I am now at 212.5 lbs of body fat to lose and weigh in at a total of 486.9 lbs. My wife and I sat down and worked up a new cooking/eating plan based on the requirements of our deit. It takes the new work schedule and up-coming Fall semester into account, so I will hopefully have even better results on my next Dr. visit scheduled for September 9th.

Don't get me wrong: I am still heading in the right direction and am content with my slow and steady progress....but everyone likes more of a good thing!! :D

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Sean - good to hear from ya.

Congrats on the new job and for sticking with your program.

Slow and steady wins the race! Let us know what happens next month.

Edited by ELP

I haven't replied here in a while, just wanted to briefly mention I am 189 today. that's down from 215 about 3 months ago when I first joined FISD.

I have been only dieting meaning proper meals, proper spacing, and frequency of eating also plenty of water (I try to go for 2x Nalgene bottles a day which is 64 ounces or 8 glasses)

I have been only dieting for fear of loosing too much weight too fast, I want my skin to adjust naturally being that I have been 205-210 for the last 4+ years of my life.

This week I am going to start light exercise such as push-ups, sit ups, jumping jacks etc. Next week I plan to hit the gym and get back to 20-30 minutes of dreadmill cardio.

I will post my results! Thanks for tuning in to my post :D

• Like 1

Good to see a Fit Club on here! Besides wanting to look good in your armor, the health benefits of dropping some lbs/kgs and trying to eat right is a great habit to get into. I started my weight loss journey in March of 2009. at that time I was 5'7" and 203 lbs....mostly in my belly. A friend of mine suggested we start doing P90X. after researching it, i knew i was way too out of shape to start there....so i started off with Tony Horton's first workout DVD set, Power 90. Took off about 28 lbs in 90 days of that. Then I moved on to the Power 90 Masters Series...kind of P90X Lite. shaved off about another 10 lbs there. Late September of 09, I started my first round of P90X, and haven't look back. right now I'm about 150 lbs....16% body fat, and building up some good TK muscle :lol:

diet wise, i dropped soda out of my life....and don't eat fast food very often. if i do, it's subway, or some sort of grilled chicken. through it all, i've felt better than i have in a long time, both physically and mentally. it's been a great boost for me.

If there are any other P90X'ers here on FISD, or anyone who has questions about it, or nutrition/workouts in general, send me a PM or post it up here. Really, when it comes to getting fit and healthy, it's all about finding something YOU like to do, and keeping at it.

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by SydB1974

Result - about 30 lbs loss

Atkins is awesome! I gotta buy new clothes and it WAS EASY!!!

You mentioned staying in high glycemic diet after Atkins, would be interested in what kind of diet is that? Atkins diet is good, but with my friends the weight has also returned quite quickly. Take caution!

My project getting down from about 210 lbs to around 180 is advancing slowly, meaning that the first 10 lbs are gone and 20 more to go...

I have seen quite a few posts on this, and figured I should throw my 2 cents in and climb on the soapbox for a few... When I first bought my armor had I started right away I would have made a better wall on a Corellian cruiser that a trooper.. I have been out of shape for a while, I still play baseball and its been rough. After some up and down back and forth dieting over the years I have finally changed my eating habits. My biggest break through has been cutting out soft drinks, soda pop, cola... Whatever you call it know it verys depending on where you live. I had switched to Diet years ago, however this is just as bad if you drink a lot of it as the sodium will have you retaining water, and I am buying into the rumors that the aspertame hurts you when dieting. I only drink one can or bottle per day now either at breakfast or dinner. Rest of the time its plain water or Vitaman Water ZERO (no cal, no splenda uses stivia.) Im eating actual correct portion sizes which here in the US; well I dont think we have known what those are for a long time, that old phrase from when I was a kid clean your plate doesnt apply today.... I have been working out more consistantly (P90X) and when I dont feel like it, or something comes up that would keep me from getting my work out in, instead of making a really good excuse or justifying it to myself and not doing it all I at least work out as much as I can even if its only 10 or 15 minutes. I have dropped almost 30 pounds since June. Averaging about 10 pounds a month, which I know isnt any really huge number, but its consistant and steadily going down, which in my opinion is better than a drop a lot, gain some, repeat and never get anywhere...

You mentioned staying in high glycemic diet after Atkins, would be interested in what kind of diet is that? Atkins diet is good, but with my friends the weight has also returned quite quickly. Take caution!

My project getting down from about 210 lbs to around 180 is advancing slowly, meaning that the first 10 lbs are gone and 20 more to go...

Actually 10 lbs a month is AWESOME! - I meant a low glycemic..Eating a lot of high GI foods can be detrimental to your health because it pushes your body to extremes. This is especially true if you are overweight and sedentary. Switching to eating mainly low GI carbs that slowly trickle glucose into your blood stream keeps your energy levels balanced and means you will feel fuller for longer between meals. Its what most diabetics use as a guide for proper eating.

Low GI diets help people lose and manage weight

Low GI diets increase the body's sensitivity to insulin

Low GI carbs improve diabetes management

Low GI carbs reduce the risk of heart disease

Low GI carbs improve blood cholesterol levels

Low GI carbs can help you manage the symptoms of PCOS

Low GI carbs reduce hunger and keep you fuller for longer

Low GI carbs prolong physical endurance

High GI carbs help re-fuel carbohydrate stores after exercise

I pulled those from the internet but you get the idea. Atkins was the means to lose the weight but the GI index is forever and is a mandatory lifestyle change if you wanna live longer without diabetes and heart disease.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Edited by TK-4510

Good to hear that everyone is doing well - That's fantastic

And a 10 pound loss in a month is great. That's a nice steady pace and should help to avoid cravings, binges and other commonly seen symptoms of rapid weight loss.

Mike thanks for throwing a source for your statements, that's good info. And while I agree with them, sources are always handy as the statements can be researched thus allowing other people to make an educated decision on what may or may not be right for them.

I think it's pretty cool that you guys have set-up a workout thread. I am new here, and most certainty will read the entire thread soon:). I myself lost 60lbs (P90X) to fit into a Clone Commander costume two years ago. My girlfriend and I are restarting P90X September 1, and we will most certainly post our progress here. Kudos and good health!