Trooper Fit Club

bluehickey

Hey again guys, I was wanting to know, I get up a about 6am, stretch, and then run most days of the week. Seem to feel a bit of hungar once I hit about 1 mile. Sould I wait till after my run or eat a little before hand?

Eat something before, food is fuel!

IMHO I don't think it matters, as long as you do in fact eat something. I never eat before a run, working out, or a game, it makes me want to puke. I eat afterwards when I can relax.

With the (soccer) World Cup coming round again, I realised that it is about 4 years ago that I decided enough was enough and I had to loose some weight.

Too much junk food and snacking had seen my weight creep up to 82kg (182lbs) which, for someone who is 1.72m (5'8") tall, is too much.

Essentially all I did was count calories (using the Weight Watchers points scheme but not attending any meetings or joining any groups) but I got down to my ideal weight of 68kg (150lbs) within a period of about 6 months.

I still use the same points system to monitor my calorie intake today and am happy to report that I have maintained my weight all this time.

I never go hungry and I generally have a more balanced diet. Every now and then I can have a blow out and have a day where I don't count the calories, have a few (too many) beers and maybe a big greasy pizza and in general I feel great.

I just took a new photo in the size "S" shirt I now wear and put it next to a picture of me 4 years ago im a size "M", in this World Cup before and after photo montage.

It really doesn't take that much discipline. If I can do it, so can anyone! My only advice is don't go on a "diet" only to go back to your old ways as soon as you reach your target. Change your eating habbits and keep them changed. Good luck, chaps!

wcbeforeandafter.jpg

Good on you, Rick. That is how it's supposed to be done. If you aren't doing so already, I'd add regular exercise to your regimen. :duim:

Hey again guys, I was wanting to know, I get up a about 6am, stretch, and then run most days of the week. Seem to feel a bit of hungar once I hit about 1 mile. Sould I wait till after my run or eat a little before hand?

I've heard both sides, but it really depends on what works best for you. I also like to do 6am runs, but I don't eat beforehand - doing so would make me wanna puke during the middle of the run. After I'm done I'll have a bottle of water and a piece of fruit, then eat a proper breakfast an hour or two later.

However, I do like to eat a light snack (protein bar, piece of fruit, and a bottle of water) 1 - 2 hours before my PM workouts, as I've found it provides a not-too heavy fuel source for the coming load.

A couple of things in this post, and then I'll post the hydration article that I want everyone to pay particular attention to.

First of all, Richard, you look great and you did it in a healthy way. A blow out (the beer and pizza thing) every once in a while won't hurt you. If you didn't do it you would probably end up bingeing in a bad way.

The eating thing before a 6am run...what I'll recommend is this, take a fanny pack with you (yeah I know, not cool-looking enough for a stormtrooper), but maybe you could pretend its a thermal detonator ;) Put a protein bar, or preferably a carbohydrate bar (PowerBar) in it along with water. Some runners use gels to provide energy. This will keep you from running out of steam on your run, and keep you going until you can get to your breakfast. Also, eating a protein bar, or preferably carbohydrate bar, about 1 hour before your run won't hurt. Just see what doesn't make you ill. Remember, this is all subjective and everyone is different.

Part one of the Heat Related Illness and Hydration:

HEAT EXHAUSTION

A milder form of heat-related illness that can develop after several days of exposure to high temperatures and inadequate or unbalanced replacement fluids. However, if the person is hot enough, it can happen within one day or hours depending on the activity of the person.

Symptoms:

• Heavy sweating (more than usual in your armor)
  • Paleness
  • Muscle cramps
  • tiredness
  • weakness
  • dizziness
  • headache
  • nausea or vomiting
  • fainting

The sking may be cool and moist. The victim's pulse rate will be fast and weak and breathing will be fast and shallow. If this is untreated it will lead to heat stroke which is a medical emergency. If the victim has high blood pressure or symptoms are severe SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION AND CALL 911 (if in the USA) IMMEDIATELY

Treatment

•  
  • Cool non-alcoholic beverages may be consumed.
  • Rest.
  • Cool shower, bath, or sponge bath.
  • Get out of the hot environment, remove your armor/costume and get into an air-conditioned environment if possible.
  • Do not put your armor back on, change into lightweight clothing.

HEAT STROKE

A form of hyperthermia, an abnormally elevated body temperature. Unlike heat cramps and heat exhaustion, heat stroke is a medical emergency that can be fatal if not properly and promptly treated

Symptoms:

•  
  • High Body Temperature
  • Rapid pulse
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Strange behavior
  • Hallucinations
  • Confusion
  • Agitation
  • Disorientation
  • Seizure
  • Coma

Treatment

•  
  • Get the victim to a shady area, remove clothing and apply cool or tepid water to the skin. For example you may spray them with water from a garden hose. Fan them to promote sweating and evaporation and place ice packs under the armpits and groin areas.
  • Monitor body temperature with a thermometer and continue cooling efforts until the body temperature drops to 101-102oF (38.3-38.8oC)
  • Always notify emergency services immediately. If their arrival is delayed they can give you further instructions for treatment of the victim.

Prevention of both

•  
  • Avoid becoming dehydrated and avoid vigorous physical activities in hot and humid weather.
  • If you have to perform physical activities (troop) in hot weather, drink plenty of fluids (water and diluted sports drinks) but avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tea which may lead to dehydration.
  • If you are out in the sun for prolonged periods, you will need replenishment of electrolytes as well as the fluids. You can obtain this by drinking diluted sports drinks - more on that later.
  • Take frequent breaks to hydrate yourself.

This applies to both working out and trooping.

Part Two: Hydration

Okay, everyone knows you are supposed to drink fluids to keep yourself hydrated during exercise. Well, this is also very important while trooping. Some quick background:

The body's way of cooling itself is through evaporation of sweat from the skin. While exercising to help this happen, you should wear loose clothing, or clothing that wicks sweat away from the skin. Clothing that traps the sweat against the skin is creating a "wet suit effect" which will actually raise the temperature of your body.

This is very important especially if you are exercising (trooping) in a hot and humid environment as the humidity in the air makes it difficult for the sweat to evaporate from the skin. This can lead to heat illness (see post above) and other physiological problems like dehydration as the body tries to sweat more to cool itself down.

So, we need to prevent dehydration, hypohydration (not enough water consumption) and hyperhydration.

Prevention

If you know you are going to be working out or trooping in hot weather drink a 16oz (~.5L) beverage several hours before the activity.

During the activity:

You should drink approximately 0.4-0.8L/hour adding up to 1 L/h for individuals who sweat excessively. If it is a hot and very humid day, please increase the fluid intake to more than 1 L/h preferably 1-1.5 L/h.

Composition of the consumed fluids is also very important. If you are going to drink a sports drink, please make sure it is NOT high in glucose or sucrose. Yes these make it taste good, but it can be detrimental to the purpose of the drink.

If you are planning on drinking a sports drink, you can drink the whole thing, but dilute it 50-50. 50% water adn 50% sports drink. The reason behind this is that the more dilute your sweat, the more your body will cool down. The more concentrated the drink, the more concentrated the sweat, the less the sweat can evaporate (yes, even while wearing armor). If you are determined to drink the sports drink, make sure that it contains low amounts of electrolytes.

To replenish the sodium and potassium lost, you don't have to drink sports drinks. They can be replaced by consuming gels, energy bars and other foods containing these two electrolytes.

After working out or trooping if you consume a meal with an appropriate amount of plain water this should be enough to replace the electrolytes as long as the food contains enough sodium to replenish that which was lost. Most pre-prepared foods consumed today have enough sodium to accomplish this.

If you still feel excessively thirsty following your workout (troop) then you are probably not drinking enough fluid and are at risk for dehydration. Keep drinking water and throw an extra pinch of salt on your food to help combat this problem.

Don't over hydrate as this can lead to more problems than dehydration. Listen to your body. To properly determine how much fluid you need, weigh yourself prior to a workout(troop). Record your weight and then weigh as quickly as possible after the workout (troop). Preferably perform both without armor, and with the same clothing on. The difference in the bodyweight is a good rule of thumb about how much fluid you have lost due to sweating that must be replaced.

Remember one important thing. IF YOU FEEL THIRSTY, DRINK!!!! Your body is the best indicator of what you need. More than anything else this is vital.

Stay hydrated, stay as cool as possible, but still have fun!

Edited by tigger68

On my first pratice hike with my Philmont crew and it was 10 miles and it was about 80 degrees F. I ran out of water and went into heat exhaustion and had no choice but to keep hiking up the hill for 2 more miles. I started to get muscle cramps, weakness, and felt as if Ihad sliped into heat stroke because I had stoped sweating. This was all about a month ago and I am running to build up the energy to last longer on my next hike, because on June 12th My brithday I do not want the next hike to be a death march to me agan. Anyways my question is what do you do if you run ot of water and it is a long hard trip back?

Edited by Trooper Zero

On my first pratice hike with my Philmont crew and it was 10 miles and it was about 80 degrees F. I ran out of water and went into heat exhaustion and had no choice but to keep hiking up the hill for 2 more miles. I started to get muscle cramps, weakness, and felt as if Ihad sliped into heat stroke because I had stoped sweating. This was all about a month ago and I am running to build up the energy to last longer on my next hike, because on June 12th My brithday I do not want the next hike to be a death march to me agan. Anyways my question is what do you do if you run ot of water and it is a long hard trip back?

I'll give you a quick answer, start hydrating prior to the hike. This will help. Also, if you are at Philmont, see of one of the others has water you can share. Just use the guidelines I gave as to how much water you are going to need, you may need more than recommended.

Don't over hydrate prior, but get some liquid in you. This will help prevent your body from completely losing all the necessary water it needs. The fact that you stopped sweating was a medical emergency, and you needed to get cooled down immediately, and hydrated.

I'll see if there are any more recommendations and get back to you.

TK-4510 reporting in.

Current weight 191 lbs

Starting weight May 6, 2010 - 202 lbs

Weight loss - 10 lbs in 30 days.

limited to 20 grams of carbs a day.

No pasta, Milk, bread, rice, sugar, soda, cake, donuts, candy, etc....

taking a daily multi vitamin.

It works.....

Oh and no calorie restrictions or exercise. :) I have been lowering my calories as a side effect of watching the carbs, but its not intentional.

Atkins works for me. :)

Well I have bad news and good news. That bad news is that 3 days ago when I went into my free session at the welness center their scale said I bumped all the way to an even 300 lbs. yikes.

The good news is that after 3 days of calorie counting, and extra physical activity, when I went in for my follow up I lost 5 pounds! A small victory in what is going to be a looong battle.

Ok guys, I am so close to my goal I can almost taste it. I am 215 thats 5ilbs short of my goal and lost 7ilbs in 8 days. I am working on the progress pics and start and finish pics. But, due to a unforseen event, I should hit my goal by next tuesday and 12-13 is my next practice hike and it is my 16th birthday so I will not be at home all day on the 12th but rather hiking up a steep hill in hot weather than having a good time wit my friends. No matter most of them are going with me anyways so it is a win win thing (sort of) but I am still very close to my goal I will post pics as soon as I can. :D

Okay, I'm out of ideas to post this week. For some reason my brain has shut down, enough that I lost my bluetooth headset somewhere last night when I went with friends to see Ironman2...so maybe its a good thing I haven't posted anything.

Oh, btw, I have taken pandatrooper up on his challenge to try the EA Sports Active system. As soon as I receive it and start using it, I'll be posting my progress here on a regular basis. Thanks panda for this opportunity.

Dont mean to hijack, but I am also working the same goal here as Trooper Zero. Before I knew about this forum I was getting up to 215 and finally I decided it was enough. I have been working pretty hard, stopped all fast food and sodas, I drink PURE water now sometimes unsweetened tea. I try to cardio every day, at least 15-30 minutes on the treadmill even light jogging if I feel like I cant breath ill walk as fast as I can to keep my heart rate at a target 133ish. I work for a hospital and I do IT so I have since stopped taking the elevator when responding to tickets unless I absolutely need to for a laserjet swap or something. We have 7 floors and I frequently visit floors 2-5 a few times a day which is 120+ stairs. I get REALLY tired doing this but I have also built up my legs a bit from stairs and cardio and I have more endurance. Started at 215 probably a month and a half ago and im now 202. I will post my results and activity here and also hope to gain some more knowledge from each person viewing/posting on this to help me reach my goal 165-170. I am 5'10" and 27 years old.

James welcome to the Trooper Fit Club. Feel free to look through the previous postings to get tips and hints, and to see what others are doing.

It looks like you are doing everything right. Just one thing, if you ever get lightheaded or dizzy while working out, please reduce your intensity until it goes away.

Other than that, you're on your way to a healthy body. Come join the rest of us!

Just wanted to update that things are going smoothly. I am cutting things like pasta and trying not to eat so much bread but I am starting to get much better at my cardio workouts too. Typically when I need to stop and take multiple breaks I am lately finding myself needing to take only 1 or 2 breaks and for example on the treadmill I can run at faster speeds for longer now. This morning I weighed in at 201 which gives me hope, I can see that 199 around the corner and once that happens I know that I will be so pumped from all this that I am just going to snowball from there. If anyone has any tips or recommendations feel free to let me know too or questions/comments.