Trooper Fit Club

bluehickey

It's called Body Fortress, I really don't know much about it - but it's a whey protein powder, which sounds like what I need from looking online - I only started using it a few days ago.

As for what else am I doing different - quite a lot, as the semester of college ended, and I have a lot more time. I was doing hapkido for an hour twice a week (college class), and running/walking a 7 mile trail (or half of it) when at least once a week, but not incredibly often because of finals - and all that jazz. Now, I'm spending a lot more time outdoors [which is much more fun than facebook games], running 3.5 miles every other day, and walking 7 the other days. Using the weight bench that has sat in the basement of my house and collected dust for years. Playing laser tag (outdoors - big park, so lots of running/sneaking/fun) once a week. Looking for another job, and lots of sleeping. And, working at eating - and drinking water. Of course hanging out with friends doing silly geek things, and bouncing around eagerly waiting for a big brown box, but facebook games have disappeared from my priority list.

A few months ago I starting changing what I eat, less sugars, more whole grains, because I wanted to work on my body, other than having more energy, and wanting less sugar not much changed. Probably because I wasn't using the weight bench at all.

After some strange miracle, I lost over a pound since last week and I neglected to do any exercise or keep track of what I ate. I also started sleeping normally last week.... I wonder if that helped. I did keep my portions down and tried to drink more water. I also snacked a lot on baby carrots which I think helped keep me regular, if you know what I mean, ;)

After some strange miracle, I lost over a pound since last week and I neglected to do any exercise or keep track of what I ate. I also started sleeping normally last week.... I wonder if that helped. I did keep my portions down and tried to drink more water. I also snacked a lot on baby carrots which I think helped keep me regular, if you know what I mean, ;)

Thus making you thinner. :D LOL! Always works for me.

The most weight I ever lost, was a few years back... when I had my tonsillectomy. It was pretty much the worst pain I have EVER had to live through. Anyhow, I couldn't eat much... so instead I drank a lot of chocolate flavored Ensures, that, and a ton of ice-water. Well, after two weeks of that I lost a ton of weight. I was in so much pain, that I didn't even notice that I was hungry. My wife had to force me to eat something, and Ensure was all I could do for a while.

So maybe cut a meal or two and drink a shake instead? Just a thought.

Jess

Edited by jawa001

Okay, while I wait for some info to come on the latest hydration research, I'm going to give some advice to those of us who are trying to lose weight.

Yes, bluehickey, sleep does make a difference when losing weight. Also, you may have increased your lean body massa (LBM) which in turn will consume more calories at rest, thereby causing the weight loss you noticed, or you could have just lost 1 lb of water which will come back sometime in the future to haunt you, but since you are a guy, I wouldn't worry too much about that one, more likely the LBM has increased.

Okay, my tidbit for today.

CALCIUM everyone knows you need it for strong bones, but did you know it helps you lose weight? Uh huh, consumption of dairy products does help you lose weight. Um, put down the ice cream scoop, ice cream isn't the kind of dairy product I'm talking about here (I know, I immediately thought of ice cream when I first read this several years ago). For some reason the consumption of dairy products actually aids the body in shedding pounds.

So...what can I consume that won't cause a huge increase in fat consumption with my dairy? Cheese, yoghurt, skim milk, butter. Butter? Isn't that supposed to be bad for you? Y...e...s...but if you consume it in moderation(where have you heard that before?) then you should be alright.

For example, if you are trying to eat breakfast in the morning, try mixing in granola cereal into a container of yoghurt, then adding some more fruit. Instant parfait anyone? Just mixed together. Can be consumed while driving (if you have an automatic transmission) or consumed while sitting at a desk. Another solution for those who can obtain it...Carnation instant breakfast mix...add milk and voila! You've now just had one serving of dairy for the day, and had breakfast all at the same time. And that you can consume on the way to work no matter what kind of car you drive, or how you get there, just purchase one of those "unspillable" drink containers.

Instead of dessert, have a cheese tray. There's more calcium. It has also been shown to be better for you than eating a sweet.

Okay, just something simple to carry you through until I get my act together. I'm going to be working weird hours the next two days, so I probably won't be posting until Thursday, but I'll have the hydration info for you then.

Oh, and I'm going to report on my progress here...I've had to take in all my trousers because they won't stay up, and because they are women's trousers, don't have belt loops. :P So out came the sewing machine...haven't weighed myself, will be doing that tomorrow with the Wii Fit in the morning.

Take care, and keep losing (or gaining as the case may be, SapaWanmdi)

Edited by tigger68

So maybe cut a meal or two and drink a shake instead? Just a thought.

Jess

Jess, I soooooo wish I could skip meals, my body simply will not allow it! There is a lot of issues with low blood sugar in my family and although I've never been tested for it, I'm 90% sure that I suffer from it. If I skip meals, a variety of things can happen to me, the most common one is getting a headache or a migraine. I'll get the shakes and I get insanely grumpy and irritable. In the past when I haven't eaten, I've almost blacked out when getting up out of a chair, getting tunnel vision. In almost all of these situations, as soon as I eat some nutritious food the symptoms go away. My wife can get busy and skip meals left and right and be totally fine physically, and sometimes even lose weight that way, but not me. I get so jealous of people who can skip meals or forget to eat, and their body doesn't freak out on them like mine does.

It gets pretty frustrating at times knowing that I need to cut back my food intake in order to lose weight, but knowing that if I do it too much my body will rebel. When I don't eat frequently enough, it's those around me who really suffer because of how unbearably grumpy I get. The world becomes a very negative place in my mind and on one can please me. It's too high of a price to pay, so I do my best to always have a granola bar with me or some saltines on hand when ever I am going to be out and about for a while. I usually keep some food in my armor tote when I troop.

Jess, I soooooo wish I could skip meals, my body simply will not allow it! There is a lot of issues with low blood sugar in my family and although I've never been tested for it, I'm 90% sure that I suffer from it. If I skip meals, a variety of things can happen to me, the most common one is getting a headache or a migraine. I'll get the shakes and I get insanely grumpy and irritable. In the past when I haven't eaten, I've almost blacked out when getting up out of a chair, getting tunnel vision. In almost all of these situations, as soon as I eat some nutritious food the symptoms go away. My wife can get busy and skip meals left and right and be totally fine physically, and sometimes even lose weight that way, but not me. I get so jealous of people who can skip meals or forget to eat, and their body doesn't freak out on them like mine does.

It gets pretty frustrating at times knowing that I need to cut back my food intake in order to lose weight, but knowing that if I do it too much my body will rebel. When I don't eat frequently enough, it's those around me who really suffer because of how unbearably grumpy I get. The world becomes a very negative place in my mind and on one can please me. It's too high of a price to pay, so I do my best to always have a granola bar with me or some saltines on hand when ever I am going to be out and about for a while. I usually keep some food in my armor tote when I troop.

Okay, I thought I was finished for today, but I'm going to get back on here and post.

First of all, bluehickey whatever you do...don't skip meals. That goes for just about everyone here. There is plenty of science backing this up. When you skip meals, if you skip enough of them, your body goes into what is called among the exercise physiologist group, "starvation mode." When it does, it will hoard fat. This will go on until the body puts itself into ketosis (basis for all the liquid diets really common back in the late 80s early 90s remember Oprah?) and you will lose weight. The problem is ketosis really isn't a stable place for your body to be. If it progresses too long, you will suffer kidney damage, blood vessel damage, liver damage and other serious side effects. The liquid shake diets were properly managed by physicians who monitored vitals, blood work, etc. Okay, that soap box over.

Next soap box. Those of you who love Slim Fast diet shakes. Take a really good look at the ingredients. Are you looking? Check out the first couple of ingredients. See an old friend? SUGAR Yes, sugar is one of the main ingredients in Slim Fast shakes. A good substitute if you are into drinking one of those for breakfast is Carnation Instant Breakfast. Less sugar, lots of nutrients and you get to mix it with milk which will satisfy part of your dairy requirement for the day.

Again, please people don't skip meals. It only makes your metabolism slow down, and the whole goal of getting into shape is to increase the metabolism so you don't have to skip meals.

Edited by tigger68

Ryan, have you considered small, frequent meals (as in 5 - 7 per day) as opposed to the traditional breakfast/lunch/dinner most of us grew up on?

A meal doesn't have to be a 7-course dinner. Something as simple as a single-serving can of tuna, some crackers, a piece of fruit, and a bottle of water will do. Although I don't have a family history of low blood sugar (to my knowledge), what you experience sounds a lot like what I experience when I skip meals. I've found that eating small meals every 3 hours or so works a lot better at keeping my energy (and mood) up and stable throughout the day. Plus, I've read that eating this way helps stoke the metabolic fires. :)

Ryan, have you considered small, frequent meals (as in 5 - 7 per day) as opposed to the traditional breakfast/lunch/dinner most of us grew up on?

A meal doesn't have to be a 7-course dinner. Something as simple as a single-serving can of tuna, some crackers, a piece of fruit, and a bottle of water will do. Although I don't have a family history of low blood sugar (to my knowledge), what you experience sounds a lot like what I experience when I skip meals. I've found that eating small meals every 3 hours or so works a lot better at keeping my energy (and mood) up and stable throughout the day. Plus, I've read that eating this way helps stoke the metabolic fires. :)

Yeah, I definitely eat more than just the 3 times a day a meals. After breakfast I'll have a snack around 11am and then after lunch I'll have a snack at about 3pm and then around 4:45 - 5pm before having dinner around 6:30pm.

I'm going to agree with tkrestonva on this one.

There are plenty of scientific studies that show that eating increases your metabolism. One reason the recommendation is generally not to eat in the morning prior to working out, other than the fact that the body uses the blood to digest the food, rather than carrying the energy to the muscles...is that you have increased your metabolic rate by working out, when you add eating it increases your metabolic rate even higher, and it remains at that elevated rate for 20-30 minutes.

Okay, when you eat you have to digest the food. Remember our discussion about resting metabolic rate? Well, this increases your metabolic rate, not just the physical act of eating, but your metabolic rate will remain elevated for 20-30 minutes after you eat. That means that if you eat little meals over the course of the day, your metabolism will be elevated longer during the day.

Of course if you don't or can't do this, remember I mentioned the "food drawer" at work? Just keep your snacks in there and even that little bit will help you increase your resting metabolism from the baseline and help you lose weight.

Enough talk for today.

Cheers!

Edited by tigger68

If only there was a diet to make me taller...

Oh there is, its called steak. I have loved to eat steak as a kid from the age of 8 but I have to part with it sometimes because I dont want to have withdrawals like my brother and have a small limit in one sitting like my father. This only works if you start eating it young and also the newer generations are so much taller is because we have more access to thing the body needs for hight growth.

Edited by Trooper Zero

Hey gang,

Just a quick update to say there hasn't been much of an update, lol. I've been playing soccer 2-4 times a week, but am still lingering at about 220. I think it's just what Tif said and my body adjusting and developing some muscle.

Feeling great tho, nothing like collapsing on the couch and feeling those aches after a good night of ball.

Stay tuned :)

Matt

Okay, I'm going to address two topics today...I'm going to answer a question and also give some advice.

First of all, MiDri, unfortunately there isn't a diet to make you taller. Yes, the younger generations are taller than the previous ones, and yes, some of that is due to the fact that we have better nutrition, but genetics do play a role. If they didn't play a role, I should be 5'10" at least (mother 5', father 6'5") and one of my female cousins should be at least 6' (mother 6'1", father 6'3" - mother is my father's sister) but she is only 5'3", and I'm 5'5". So you may get some gains due to nutrition, but genetics plays a large part in height also. As for eating steak to gain height...um your bones dictate how tall you will be, as that is where your growth occurs, and bones are made up primarily of calcium, so if you get enough calcium and vitamin D as a child, you should be your proper height. Steak, or red meat can't hurt, and will help build red blood cells and contractile proteins for your muscles, but it won't necessarily increase your height based on human physiology.

Enough said about height, onto what I had planned for today.

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

I'm going to add another bucket to my head (anyone have that 2nd generation FX so I can fit it over my AP?) and bring out my sports medicine degree.

Everyone that I know of experiences this sometime. You've overdone it in the gym, you ran an extra mile because it was feeling so great at the time, you cycled another 10 miles because you didn't feel like you were dying...and then the next day you can barely move without wincing. This is technically called delayed onset muscle soreness. Now this is different from injury caused soreness which occurs almost immediately and has accompanying swelling and bruising. I'll address how to handle those injuries another time.

What do I do when I can't walk across my bedroom after sleeping all night? How do I prevent this?

First of all, this is a normal reaction of the body to exercise. There is still some debate on the exact cause, but most agree it is microscopic tears in the muscle proteins which help in the hypertrophy process. It is most common in the "eccentric" phase of muscle use. The eccentric phase is not your muscles being a little odd...in this context it is like when you are walking down a flight of stairs, your muscles have to contract at the same time as they are lengthening, this is an eccentric contraction. This soreness usually occurs 12-48 hours after a hard workout.

Okay, now some advice on what to do after this happens and you are gritting your teeth just to take a shower the next day.

1. When you have finished a hard workout, try icing your large muscle groups. For example, if you lifted a lot of weights using your upper body, ice your biceps, forearms, etc. If you ran a lot, or did a lot of leg presses, ice your thighs and calves. One of the best inventions for ice is frozen peas. Uh huh, you heard me correctly frozen peas. They are tiny little ice capsules that will conform to your body easily, can be re-frozen and used again and again until the bag disintegrates. However, don't plan to eat them afterwards. The defrosting and refreezing process renders them unsafe to eat.

2. Move, don't just sit, you'll make it worse. This is called "active recovery" and is beneficial because it will increase the blood flow to the injured areas. Yes, it will be painful, but it will help in the long run.

3. Gently massage the sore areas. Research has shown it can decrease the soreness by about 30-35%, even if it doesn't affect muscle function at all. I'm a big proponent of massage therapy for more than just this.

4. Take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve aka naproxen sodium). Tylenol (acetaminophen) will not help heal this, just mask the pain, I don't care what the advertisements on TV say, most physicians don't recommend it for muscle pain. At least none I've worked with.

5. If you do any yoga exercises they may help (see active recovery above).

6. DON'T do any vigorous exercise until the soreness is gone!!!!!!! This is very important as the soreness means you have caused damage to the area. Yes, it may be part of the adaptive process, but you can make it worse by doing vigorous exercise, and may cause enough damage you have to stop exercising for a while to recover. Its better to tone down the exercise, keep moving than to cause damage that will lay you up for a while.

7. IF YOUR SORENESS PERSISTS FOR MORE THAN 7 DAYS SEE A PHYSICIAN!

Prevention:

1. Warm up thoroughly and cool down afterward. I cannot emphasis this enough.

2. Part of your cool down should include GENTLE stretching. No bouncing, ballistic movements, etc.

3. Use the 10 percent rule. What is that? Start slowly, and increase your time of exercise and intensity by only 10% every week.

4. Start any weight lifting routines with high reps (10-12), low weights and gradually increase the amount you lift over several weeks. Yes, I know that is not the way everyone says to build bulk, but you're trying to be able to keep lifting on a regular basis, not nursing injury right?

5. Avoid making sudden changes in the amount of exercise you do.

6. Avoid making sudden changes in the intensity of the exercise you do.

7. Follow these 10 tips for safe exercise: 1 - get a physical to make sure you're healthy enough to exercise; 2 - Gradually increase time and intensity; 3 - Visit a personal trainer (if you don't know what to do they can help, or post questions here and I'll do my best to answer them); 4 - Warm up before exercise (walking, jogging, or your exercise at a snail's pace); 5 - Don't workout on empty - you can eat 2 hours before working out, and it will help keep you from "bonking." Just a light meal, and then you can eat again afterwards; 6 - Don't get Dehydrated, drink 16 oz 2 hours before you exercise, and then replenish during exercise; 7 - Listen to your body! If you experience sharp pain, lightheadedness, or dizziness during exercise STOP IMMEDIATELY! This is your body telling you something is really wrong. It is better to stop for a day or two than to "work through the pain" and cause a life long injury. Remember, you're not being paid millions to work out; 8 - Take time for rest and recovery. Take rest days during the week. The body needs time to recover and restore itself. So give yourself a day off, and you'll feel better for it; 9 - Cross-train, do something different for exercise than the same old, same old, your body will be happier, and you won't be bored; and 10 - Dress properly, shoes: make sure they fit well and aren't in poor condition, clothing: make sure it wicks sweat from your body and helps to keep you cool.

Okay, that's my r e a l l y long lecture for today. Have a great weekend everyone! I'll be back next week with my hydration lecture for the beginning of June. And yes it will be a slightly long one because hydration is so important.

Cheers!

Edited by tigger68

TK-4289 checking in

I used to frequent around here a lot more in the past, but after my first troop my enthusiasm kinda deflated. Once I saw videos and pictures of how I looked "in the real world" in my armor I was embarrassed of how I looked amongst my more "fit" brothers in armor. To make matters worse, after a recent family tragedy I ate a lot of comfort food and packed on even more pounds. A few weeks ago I went to try on my armor for poops and giggles and now I can't even fit into my already extra extra large sized armor. Woof! I went to the Doctors recently and I weighed in at a whopping 270 pounds (where as my "normal" weight is around 250). Its also worth noting I am only 20 years old, so I am very big for my age :\

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01598.jpg

DSC01599.jpg

Ideally I would love to be around 220 or lower, or be able to wear an extra large t-shirt comfortably. Probably the smallest I have ever been is around 230, and that summer I went for daily bike rides, did 100 sit ups a day, and drank only water. So... I guess I will start there, try to keep my portions down, and try not to sit on my butt for such long periods of time.

Question for the experts- Is there a pill or supplement I can get from the local "vitamin" store that would help me out in anyway? Whether it be to curb hunger, boost energy, or the like, I am looking for any help I can get.

-Hayes

Don't worry Hayes, I use a vitamin and amino acid supplement called Advocare. Some types will boost your energy while others will give you more of a boost than a sugar rush during your workouts. The one I use is Spark Energy Drink, there is little caffeine and NO SUGAR! This has helped me going throughout the day when I need to do any small to mid size work load. If you are looking at a all-out workout routine I suggest Advocare Muscle Fuel. This is not a straight up energy drink like Monster or Red Bull this is a container filled with Advocare as a powder and a measuring cup the you pore into a 8oz glass of water. I have used this for years and would recommend this to anyone. ;)

Edited by Trooper Zero

Hayes, I think the right thing to do is (1) consult with a doctor to ensure there are no underlying conditions and to get a general health assessment, (2) meet with a dietician or some other nutrition expert to analyze your consumption and reorient it with the goal of achieving and maintaining a healthy body, and (3) work with a fitness professional to establish an exercise regimen that fits within your schedule, any physical limitations you may have, and will work hand-in-hand with your new eating lifestyle. Having said that, starting out with what worked for you in the past and going from there seems like a sensible thing to do.

If a fit, healthy body came in a little pill, the U.S. wouldn't have the obesity problem it has (something like 1 in 3 adults in the U.S. are considered obese), not to mention all the stuff that goes with it like heart disease, diabetes, etc. The oldest advice is still the best - there is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for time, hard work, and discipline. Not something most of us like to hear. Getting fit and looking/feeling good is about consistently eating right and being active, i.e. making it a permanent lifestyle as opposed to a temporary fix. There are no shortcuts (not counting plastic surgery and other extremes) or we as Americans in our inventiveness would've found them long ago. :P

I'm not trying to dismiss supplements - I use them myself and I understand their value. But supplements are exactly that - supplements. If you're doing everything else right, they can give you a boost. But nothing you buy at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. will magically transform you into the likeness of a Greek deity.

Hayes, you've come to the right place. I'm going to give you some advice.

tkrestonva has some very good suggestions.

First of all, see your physician for a complete physical. This will give you a general overall picture of your health, and how your body is doing.

Second, there isn't an instant "cure-all" for anything. I strongly advise against using diet pills, or other supplements like that because the side effects are not good for your body. Stay away especially from those diet pills containing anything that has amphetamine, or a similar product. Basically those are mild forms of "speed" which increase your metabolism by increasing your heart rate, etc. As you are already overweight, this taxes the heart quite a bit, and can cause serious problems, including heart fibrillation (where the heart doesn't pump correctly in sync, each section pumps when it "feels like it") and upto and including cardiac arrest. Not something you want to have happen.

Speaking as someone who needs to lose 150lbs still to get down to where I really want to be, I completely feel your pain. I'd love to be able to take a pill, and have it come off tomorrow. Unfortunately it doesn't happen that way. Slow and steady will lose the weight and keep it off. Just adding walking to your daily regime will help increase your lean body mass, and decrease your lipid body mass.

For those of you waiting for the advice on hydration and heat injuries, it will be posted tomorrow. I am also including the information in the June Newsletter as this information is crucial to keep everyone safe.

Tiffanie

Oww! I lost about 14ilbs sience my last post and I have not had any hunger at all, I do my exercizes kept my diet fixed and I only eat and drink water when I have a bit of hunger or whe I am thristy ( I am only eating less than a bowl of corn flakes a day) I have no idea what is happening. :unsure: ( I am now 222)

Edited by Trooper Zero

Oww! I lost about 14ilbs sience my last post and I have not had any hunger at all, I do my exercizes kept my diet fixed and I only eat and drink water when I have a bit of hunger or whe I am thristy ( I am only eating less than a bowl of corn flakes a day) I have no idea what is happening. :unsure: ( I am now 222)

Tanner, please tell me you are joking. You're only eating less than a bowl of corn flakes a day? This is not good. You need to be consuming more calories. I'm serious. If you are only consuming a small amount of calories, your body will use itself to provide the nutrients to maintain itself.

Please refer to one of my previous posts about daily caloric requirements. It is on page 2 of this topic.

Thanks for all the advice guys- I'll steer clear of anything that comes in pill form, and I have an appointment for a check up with my Dr. later on in the week.

I haven't had much of a chance to be more active since my last post, since I work during the week pretty much during all waking hours, but I look forward to going for a nice long bike ride with my Girl Friend this weekend.

Now here's another question...

Today while I was going for a walk down in town on my lunch break I got pulled into a Wellness Center by a spokesperson on the street, and they talked to me about the services they offer. Basically, they said they "would help me lose weight" by having me go in and having sessions with their professionals, buying their products, and etc. I guess they are part of a wellness chain that's all over the US and their base of operations is in California where "certified" Doctors make their products. While I was there I drank a cup of water with Aloe in it to heal my inside, a special tea to give me an energy boost, and a milk shake full of nutrients that tasted like chalk. After all that they said "There, now you've had lunch for the day!"

What do you guys think, is it all a big scam or worth a try? I think for poops and giggles I will go in tomorrow and use my free session and see what its like.

Edited by Agent RayBans

Today while I was going for a walk down in town on my lunch break I got pulled into a Wellness Center by a spokesperson on the street, and they talked to me about the services they offer. Basically, they said they "would help me lose weight" by having me go in and having sessions with their professionals, buying their products, and etc. I guess they are part of a wellness chain that's all over the US and their base of operations is in California where "certified" Doctors make their products. While I was there I drank a cup of water with Aloe in it to heal my inside, a special tea to give me an energy boost, and a milk shake full of nutrients that tasted like chalk. After all that they said "There, now you've had lunch for the day!"

What do you guys think, is it all a big scam or worth a try? I think for poops and giggles I will go in tomorrow and use my free session and see what its like.

My two cents worth, go have your free session, but if you are purchasing their products, and services, you can get the same results using Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc. Also, "certified Doctors" could mean anything, up to and including someone with a Ph.D. in English who is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist. Technially they are a "Certified Doctor." I don't know about the whole water with Aloe, tea to give you an energy boost - any tea with caffeine in it will do that, and the milk shake full of nutrients... :unsure: It is wiser to change your eating habits gradually and increase your energy output gradually. You might not lose weight as fast, but you'll keep it off longer and have less of a chance of it coming back.

You could also discuss this with your physician when you see him or her.

Hey again guys, I was wanting to know, I get up a about 6am, stretch, and then run most days of the week. Seem to feel a bit of hungar once I hit about 1 mile. Sould I wait till after my run or eat a little before hand?

Edited by Trooper Zero