Trooper Fit Club

bluehickey

Many of us have previously discussed how we would like to lose weight in order to feel better about ourselves and look better in our armor. This thread is simply a way for us to cheer each other on in our pursuits of reaching a healthy weight, and to also offer tips and words of encouragement.

How this thread works:

1. post a picture(s) of yourself at your starting height and weight in your armor.

(Pics in street clothes are welcome too.)

2. pick a goal weight

3. explain what things you are going to do to lose weight

4. Report back with your weight loss on either a weekly or monthly basis.

5. Post progress pics, to show how well the armor is fitting as the weight comes off.

So let's get started, we can do this and we'll hold each other accountable and encourage each other, plus

once you hit your goal weight, I will send you one of my stormtrooper decal window stickers for your car!

This thread is for anyone who wants to improve how they look in their armor: for some it will be losing weight, for others it will be gaining mass/muscle to fill in their armor better. All are welcome to participate.

Congrats to Christaan Von Martin (naatsirhc) who earned his Stormtrooper car sticker by working hard and hitting his goal weight!

post-8302-127285597717_thumb.png

Edited by bluehickey
  • Like 2

I think this is a great idea. I've already started my program, but I'll share and this will be a great way to show progress.

I tore my ACL two years ago and had to have surgery, since then I've been lagging in getting rid of the weight I put on before my knee blew out. 2 years ago I was 185 lbs and working out 6 times per week. Below is one of my 501st application pics taken about a month and a half ago, so:

March 15 weight: 228 lbs

May 3 weight: 218 lbs

Goal weight: 180 lbs

Program: So far I've been running 2-4 kms, 4 days a week and free weights 2 x per week. I've also started to seriously cut back on eating out (although I love my wings and beer) and almost never eat fast food. I've also started to eat salads as a meal (weird concept, I know ;) My GF is a personal trainer so that has helped too. Soccer starts this week and I'll be playing 2 nights a week.

tmp4053k.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

(in Vader)

My goal weight is 200 Lbs. I am currently 242.

I plan on exercise, biking and aerobics mainly as well as diet and life style tweeks.

Love this! Lets so get this rolling!

Edited by Runnriottt

Okay, I'll post pics when I get the nerve up to have someone take them.

As for helping out...um, I have a Master's Degree in Exercise Physiology. So I'm offering my services to everyone here in the Fit Club. If you have questions, want some help figuring things out. I'll be an online personal trainer here.

I'm not your typical personal trainer so don't expect the same old, same old here.

As for my fitness goals...

I have had many injuries in the past year, and I'm a comfort eater, so that said, I've got about 120 lbs to lose. I've lost 85lbs in the past 6 months so I'm on track right now.

Current weight: 290 lbs.

Goal weight: 160-170 lbs.

Exercise Plan: Wii Fit Plus 4 days a week using hand weights; TaeBo 3x a week (got my sister involved here).

Will be adding strength training as soon as I get a different job and a new apartment.

See you at the club!

Well, I am currently at 190 and my goal weight is 175. I did weight watchers a number of years ago and got down to 160, but there was no muscle at all, I was trim but certainly not fit. I've been working out at the gym for a couple of years now and I don't think I'll ever go down to 160 again because of the muscle weight (which is a good thing). Right now I just need to lower my body fat percentage.

So food wise, I am doing the weight watchers point program (every food has a point value... you stay within a certain point value each day) and my plan is to do heavy cardio Monday, Wednesday and Friday and do weight lifting on Tuesday and Thursday at the gym. So I'm looking at losing 15 pounds, and I think I can get it all off by August. :icon_beg:

The area I would like to see the biggest change in, is my mid section. As you can see from the photos, I have thick thighs, and I would love to lose enough weight so that my thigh pieces can come up higher and there is less black showing at the top. Would be good to be thinner in the butt and stomach areas too!

done_front.jpgdone_back.jpg

Edited by bluehickey

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, and I've been reluctant in posting this.. But I have the opposite problem and I'm going to work on it. At 5'8" and 115 lbs (yes I'm a guy) I'm incredibly skinny and it upsets me greatly. My goal weight is 140. I started taikwando and hapkido in August, which have helped a bunch already. I haven't had soda in over a year now. I chose an accurate size armor set for my first set, and will be getting it very shortly. But I don't want to look like I'm swimming in it, or cut it down so it fits and looks anorexic.

Okay, I'm going to give my first advice as a Personal Trainer.

We all need to lose weight. That said, if you build muscle, you will not lose weight as fast as you'd like. Also, when you first start working out, you will be building muscle bulk initally to handle the exercise of your body. You won't lose weight as fast. Also, you will never gain actual muscle cells. What you are doing is increasing the number of connective proteins inside those cells. Very technical and if anyone wants more detail they can PM me.

My second comment, for those who are concerned about their BMI, it is a good starting point, but really doesn't indicate your fitness level. In fact, in the late 1980's early 1990's the American College of Sports Medicine stopped using BMI as an indicator of fitness. Many of the olympic caliber athletes show up on the "overweight" section of the BMI charts, and we can all agree (I think) that they aren't overweight, or out of shape. BMI can be used as a general rule of thumb, but your main concern will be the body fat percentage. Some of the newer electronic scales available out there will give you a rough estimate of that percentage. Keep track of that. If you want to find your ideal weight, use the following based on age:

For Men:

20-40yrs 8-19% (healthy range)

41-60yrs 11-22% (healthy range)

61-79yrs 13-25% (healthy range)

For Women:

20-40yrs 21-33% (healthy range)

41-60yrs 23-35% (healthy range)

61-79yrs 24-36% (healthy range)

You can calculate your body weight by using online calculators, or formulas. It will require some measurements using a cloth tape. Remember though, this is just an estimate!

Good luck and let's keep each other movtivated!

Hey Jim, I don't want to speak for Bluehickey, but I think the intent is for Troopers to band together to be "fit" and look the best we can in our armour. So I can see how not having enough mass would be just as big of a problem as having too much :) We're here to help and support each other reach our goals, bottomline.

Now if we can just figure how to transfer my mass to you . . . ;)

Matt is right, we are striving to look our best in our armor. Jim, you are more than welcome to also post your progress on getting to your ideal weight, even if you are approaching it from the opposite side. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no advice to give you as I've always had the opposite problem of needing to get rid of extra weight.

Well, I am currently at 190 and my goal weight is 175. I did weight watchers a number of years ago and got down to 160, but there was no muscle at all, I was trim but certainly not fit. I've been working out at the gym for a couple of years now and I don't think I'll ever go down to 160 again because of the muscle weight (which is a good thing). Right now I just need to lower my body fat percentage.

So food wise, I am doing the weight watchers point program (every food has a point value... you stay within a certain point value each day) and my plan is to do heavy cardio Monday, Wednesday and Friday and do weight lifting on Tuesday and Thursday at the gym. So I'm looking at losing 15 pounds, and I think I can get it all off by August. :icon_beg:

Pics to follow....

There are a number of iPhone apps that follow this point system (free one's). Just FYI.

Weight Watchers Mobile

Lose It!

I could stand to lose a few pounds myself.

Edited by jawa001

There are a number of iPhone apps that follow this point system (free one's). Just FYI.

Weight Watchers Mobile

Lose It!

I could stand to lose a few pounds myself.

Yeah, I still have the paper point sliders they give you when you do the program, plus I don't have an iPhone... I'm too old school. :sith:

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, and I've been reluctant in posting this.. But I have the opposite problem and I'm going to work on it. At 5'8" and 115 lbs (yes I'm a guy) I'm incredibly skinny and it upsets me greatly. My goal weight is 140. I started taikwando and hapkido in August, which have helped a bunch already. I haven't had soda in over a year now. I chose an accurate size armor set for my first set, and will be getting it very shortly. But I don't want to look like I'm swimming in it, or cut it down so it fits and looks anorexic.

Well, the name of this thread is the "Fit Club" so you're more than welcome to post here. This way the support group works for everyone.

As a reminder, everyone is different, but we have one goal in mind...LOOKING GREAT IN OUR ARMOR! :smiley-sw013:

Hey, do you think we could add Stormtrooper Jazzercise to this club? :dancing-trooper:

Great info Tiffanie!

I can certainly relate to your point about BMI. My BMI is 28.4, which is overweight based on the standard scoring (Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 BMI). Problem is - at least from my untrained point of view - is that BMI is a height/weight computation that makes an assumption about how the average person carries their weight, i.e. amount muscle vs fat, and ignores the fact that different people have different bodyfat percentages.

For example, take 2 men of the same height/weight/age. One has a 30% bodyfat percentage, the other has a 10% bodyfat percentage. Would the two look the same and/or reflect the same level of physical fitness? Absolutely not.

Like you said, BMI (and with it overall bodyweight) is OK as a general rule of thumb, but the tape measure is better. I'd also throw in a stopwatch and knowing how/when to take your own pulse as good fitness measurement technique.

Here's the online calculator I like to use (not an official endorsment), there may be more accurate calculators out there that take into account a greater number of measurements. Still, I've found this to be a fast and easy-to-use tool, and since the point is to be able to track your progress, as long as your consistent in your tool usage it should fit the bill.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

As I posted in the other thread, I'm about 6'-2". I don't know for certain what my exact weight is since I don't own a scale. But, I would guess I'm easily in the 220-230 range. I'm not really looking to lose a certain amount of weight or have any set weight goal. I'm looking for just an overall toning and fitness improvement. An inch off my waist would be spectacular :)

Photos from last weekend's troop (I'm the TK obviously :) )

100_5200.jpg

100_5169.jpg

Edited by Murray1134

Well here I am now, 232lbs and 5'11". I have tried many times to get to a goal weight of 185-190 but always unsuccessful, at least since highschool anyway. I always seem to hit a wall around 200 and then have either gotten lazy or had something in my life keep me off track.

I actually weigh a few pounds more than my initial 501st acceptance and I can definitely tell the difference in armor. IF I could ever get down, I would love to get some accurate armor but we'll see about that lol.

tqo5aq1bzpv7dbbt06p7.jpg

Goal Weight: 185-190

Plans for losing weight: I eat healthy but I eat too much at individual sittings and only twice a day on average, I know both of these things are bad. I need to get back to eating five to six very small meals a day, like I did the last time, which was very successful. I don't drink soda or eat fast food (on rare occasion)but I do like some cold beer, I usually eat a meat, fish or chicken and vegetable and or/salad. I need to get back to cycling but my bike needs work. I was riding five miles every morning before and walking two miles every other night. I started back on my two mile walk tonight (will be every night), gotta get my butt going a bit since Star Wars Weekends is less than three weeks away lol.

I also know that sleep plays a big role as well and my sleeping habits are terrible as you can see by the time of this post, I am often up very late. Something else I need to work on.

I think this is a great idea and hopefully will get me motivated again, I really hate the way I look in armor, especially next to a squad mate in his accurate armor who weighs about 160ish. His side plates are touching and I have these huge plastic fillers, such a difference.

Edited by Plastic Fury

One thing I'd like to reiterate which is very important. Everyone is different!

What works for one person might not work for someone else. I know that I'm one of the oddballs when it comes to fitness/exercise/losing weight. I lose weight the best when I exercise intensively for 20-30 mins a day right before I go to bed. If I exercise in the morning I'm sluggish all day. Which contradicts all the recommendations, but that's what I've discovered works for me.

I think I'm going to post something every weekday (and sometimes on the weekend) which is advice for everyone here.

So here is today's tidbit:

If you have a "food drawer" at work you can keep healthy snacks in there, like nuts, granola bars, etc. Even keep soup or something you can eat that will fill you up. That will take care of the "afternoon munchies" which I know I get, and I'll eat better.

Okay, enough advice...must go work out...oh wait a minute, I just trekked across a college campus and back, I've already done my workout for today!

Great info Tiffanie!

I can certainly relate to your point about BMI. My BMI is 28.4, which is overweight based on the standard scoring (Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 BMI). Problem is - at least from my untrained point of view - is that BMI is a height/weight computation that makes an assumption about how the average person carries their weight, i.e. amount muscle vs fat, and ignores the fact that different people have different bodyfat percentages.

For example, take 2 men of the same height/weight/age. One has a 30% bodyfat percentage, the other has a 10% bodyfat percentage. Would the two look the same and/or reflect the same level of physical fitness? Absolutely not.

Like you said, BMI (and with it overall bodyweight) is OK as a general rule of thumb, but the tape measure is better. I'd also throw in a stopwatch and knowing how/when to take your own pulse as good fitness measurement technique.

Here's the online calculator I like to use (not an official endorsment), there may be more accurate calculators out there that take into account a greater number of measurements. Still, I've found this to be a fast and easy-to-use tool, and since the point is to be able to track your progress, as long as your consistent in your tool usage it should fit the bill.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

You are absolutely correct about the BMI. I learned to calculate BMI using a ruler and a height/weight chart. Not once did anyone ever mention bodyfat percentage. The reason BMI is touted so much is that physicians can do the math in their offices without having to worry about inaccurate measurements, hiring someone who knows about fitness for their offices, etc. I'll be brutally honest, that is the main reason BMI came back and became the catch-all phrase of the late 90's early 00's.

So it is a poor indicator of fitness and really shouldn't be used. Most exercise physiologists know this and don't use it, but like I said, it is to make it easier for physicians.

Ok my turn;

Current weight : 15 1/4 stone ( 215 lbs? ) 5'11"+ 3/4

Goal weight : not too fussed, need to loose big beer gut :(

Dietry habbits : love junk food ( keebab, pizza etc ) drink several beers several times a week. Prefer to eat bacon and egg rolls for breaky.

Dietry goal : cerial for breaky, cut down on junk food and miss beer for a month.

Excersise habbits : drive everywhere, mainly static job, train in ju-jitsu 3 times a week.

Excersise goal : cycle to work at least 4 days a week ( 3 miles each way ) started today. May swap 1 ju-jitsu session for judo once a week and carry on ju-jitsu twice a week.

Recent picture of me in armour from weekend of 1st May :

30035_455267353288_539558288_577969.jpg

Edited by firebladejedi

I started!

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

From what I understand of BMI or body mass index... The current version was created in the 1800's by a European mathematician studying the average human. He had no basis outside of numbers for his scale.

However, the sad thing is the US Government, the Military as well as other officials still use the index and it is flawed. many a career is lost every year in the military due to BMI.

Edited by Runnriottt

Seeing this thread up reminded me of an older thread, I think it would be appropriate to provide a link here:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=5010&hl=bernard&st=0

For the sake of convienence I'm reposting Bernard's (TK8280) entry, hopefully you'll find is as inspirational as I did.

well as a certified nutritionist, I can tell you to start cutting out little things so you start small, like cutting out all carbonated beverages, especially soda, then fast foods, and so on... it is also good to start drinking as much water as you can all day. If you want any weight loss to be successful you have to be 100% committed!!! this is the main thing that most people fail on when changing from a sedentary life full of fast foods and quick fix meals to a better eating and active lifestyle. You have to change allot about your daily habits and how you look at the world...you would need to start integrating an exercise program along with your diet in order for it to be at all effective, especially if you are looking for long term effectiveness

but in order to truly give you proper advice, I would need to know what kind of foods you are used to eating and so forth

but if any of you really want advice and consultations about eating better I would be more than happy to provide you with my e-mail :)

You see, I changed my life about 6 years ago...

here is part of my story...

I used to weigh about 315lb's, then I took charge of my life...I first started out with walking my dog every morning, then I bought a cheap mountain bike from Toys “R” us, and in about 6 months, I rode that bike into the ground. Then I bought a real mountain bike, I rode this Mountain bike for about 6 more months, then my buddy “a former US pro racer” and cycling mentor let me ride his road bike and I was hooked instantly...Then the obsession became a passion, and led to me riding 200 mile races, I now weigh between 170lb's and am still dropping

What I do…

I live everyday , and every minute of my life like it was my last…I am a Cyclist, Runner, hiker, swimmer, Life Guard, an archer, trainer, Certified Sports Nutritionist, Psychologist, an Empirical Scientist, an instructor for the Navy, and am a Food Science and Health Science Researcher & Teaching Assistant at San Francisco State University,

Multiple Sclerosis…

On December 6th 2000, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis…My initial attack from my disease left me partially paralyzed from the neck down…Prior to my attack I was an offensive lineman for my college football team weighing in at 315 pounds…and after I got sick the weight from my muscles turned into fat…I lived in this state of paralysis for 10 months, when my body slowly started to come back…I gained about 65% of the feeling back in my body to this day I still feel the reminisce of my attack that hit me almost 8 years ago …But Since that point where I thought my life ended, going into many depressive states, I have lived a more fuller life than I did in the 20+ years leading to my diagnosis…But now I am first and foremost an Ultra Endurance Athlete…That means that I push my body beyond the point that other normal athletes go…I am a determined person to accomplish and overcome what ever life puts in front of me…I have lived for a year of my life paralyzed…I have had to be fed at restaurants, I had to be dressed, I had to drink out of a straw, I had to be washed, I had to have someone do everything for me…and NOW!!! I have climbed to the top of hundreds of mountains, weathered through 130 degree Temperatures, torrential down poor, Hale, sleet, and snow…Descended on my 16lb bike at 50+ miles an hour…, I have seen death, I have been alone with and watched another individual who was very close to me take their last breaths of life, I have seen someone’s soul leave their body…I have seen and experienced many things that normal people in our country don’t get too…

There is a web site dedicated to weight loss, and its 100% free,

I am one of the motivational people on this web page, it has professionals like myself that will give you proper advice and you can share your story with others who are in most cases worse off than you are, plus! the women to men ratio is insane!!!

here is my page address...

<a href="http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=DRUMMER8280" target="_blank">http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=DRUMMER8280</a>

here us the web address...

<a href="http://www.sparkpeople.com" target="_blank">http://www.sparkpeople.com</a>

I started!

From what I understand of BMI or body mass index... The current version was created in the 1800's by a European mathematician studying the average human. He had no basis outside of numbers for his scale.

However, the sad thing is the US Government, the Military as well as other officials still use the index and it is flawed. many a career is lost every year in the military due to BMI.

I see you're using the Wii Fit game/program...a great way to track your progress! For those of you who are interested, I used the Wii Fit game/program to lose most of the weight I lost this past year. It is a lot of fun, and I didn't get bored which is a big thing for me, I bore easily.

Okay, my daily tidbit...

Don't expect instant results. If losing weight were instantaneous, then we'd all be fit and slender :laugh1: okay, got that out of my system. Take baby steps. Decide on one habit to break for one week. Say you want to add more walking or bike riding. Start on that. Don't bite off more than you can chew. We have a saying in my family and it holds true with lifestyle changes also...How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Changing the bad habits of a lifetime is a lot like eating an elephant. If you change it one habit at a time and slowly two things will happen, 1. You're more likely to keep the good habit and not regress back to the old, and 2. Your body won't rebel and you won't break all the good habits you're trying to make.

Another thing to remember, you can eat junk food once in a while. When you deny yourself some of the fun things in life, you are more likely to binge on them and then hate yourself later. (Coming from someone who knows and has done this more than once.) So if you want to, have a handful of chips, or something sweet daily. Everything is to be done in moderation.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox for today. Gotta go stock things at work.

Okay, I have been informed that today, May 6, 2010 is International No Diet Day. So everyone go out, have a good time but remember that tomorrow we have to start watching what we're eating again. :(

So have fun today!

Happy International No Diet Day! :dancing-trooper:

Well, I'm reporting in after 1 week of trying to lose weight. Here is what I did right:

-Did strenuous cardio 3 X

- didn't eat dessert or cookies when I could have

Things I didn't do right:

-I didn't write down/journal what I ate

-ate out twice and probably ate too much

Result: Gained one pound. :(

I've also been sleeping pretty poorly this past week which can result in weight gain as well. I'm really going to keep a food journal this week and drink more water in addition to exercising.