HDTheater's TK build[*AP]

I spent the last few days cutting up my AP kit.

100_0908.jpg

I started to assemble my helmet. However, I focused on just cutting. Too depressing trying to do a helmet first. You can't tell in the photo here, but I will have some serious gap issues around the ears.

Special thanks to TK-Dmian for his excellent thread on cutting armor.

Can anybody recommend a good assembly thread?

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by hdtheater

This has been my AP build Bible! :D

AND... The ear pieces should cover a lot of that gap. I had the same issue with my AP helmet.

That is a great link. I like pictures!

Is starting with the helmet a good place?

Here is a few shots of my helmet. I am worried that the parts won't all join up just right. Should I take some off the circle part? or does the helmet pieces need to be molded in some? What is the best way to clean up the gaps?

dd2cc5ba.jpg

5b0815ed.jpg

ec0f525c.jpg

Apologize for the grain, just downloaded the photobucket app for my iPhone. It works OK, but the photos need more light.

I used a heat gun to push it down a bit... But that gap is pretty much how it should look. I'm not a fan of the big gap look myself. So I modified it.

web.jpg?ver=12709163640002

web.jpg?ver=12710926810002

web.jpg?ver=12699905150001

web.jpg?ver=12709163640002

Edited by jawa001

I used a heat gun to push it down a bit... But that gap is pretty much how it should look. I'm not a fan of the big gap look myself. So I modified it.

Nice looking helmet!

I started assembling mine and my head is pretty tight to go in that sucker. I may have to look into a different helmet. I can't get it passed my forehead right now. If I start running into this issue with the body parts too, I may end up just dressing up a mannequin with this and then look into a Vader or Chewie costume for something to actually wear.

Are there any 6'5" Troopers out there?

Edited by hdtheater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It has been almost a year since I started my build thread, but its not that I have not been busy. I just finished building an R2 and am now ready to get back to my Trooper.

I decided not to make my suit wearable. I am 6'5" and just didn't think I could make it work. After my Trooper, maybe I'll do a Vader.

I picked up a mannequin for display. For an undersuit I picked up a cheap Under Armor knockoff.

100_2569.jpg

I decided to pick back up my build by starting with the chest plate. I marked where the should straps would go and and taped off the area so I can sand it without marring up the rest of the surface.

100_2567.jpg

Then I did a heat bend on the shoulder straps to conform to the shoulders on the mannequin. This being the first thing that I bent, I decided to practice on some of the large scrap pieces I had to gauge the time it took to get a proper bend. I found that laying the gun down and using my hands to shape the piece worked the best.

100_2570.jpg

I had read on some other build threads, about beefing up the tips of the straps by gluing in some inserts to flatten them so they don't get crushed when gluing them to the chest plate. I cut some scrap off my left over pieces and sanded them down too.

100_2571.jpg

Then, I glued them into my shoulder straps and taped them to stay at the right depth. After the glue sets up on those, I will glue them to the chest plate using E6000.

100_2572.jpg

Here is a picture of me and R2.

DSC02912.jpg

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by hdtheater

I glued my shoulder straps to my chest plate today and to keep my mind off wanting to mess with it, I worked on a base for my mannequin to stand on.

th_be63bb59.jpg

th_33c3e6ae.jpg

I carved it out of 3/4" MDF and then painted. I'll mount the rod that goes into the foot of my trooper to it and then he'll stand on top of it.

I had seen it in numerous photos of others armor and wanted to do it for mine.

Thanks for looking

Eric

I glued my shoulder straps to my chest plate today and to keep my mind off wanting to mess with it, I worked on a base for my mannequin to stand on.

th_be63bb59.jpg

th_33c3e6ae.jpg

I carved it out of 3/4" MDF and then painted. I'll mount the rod that goes into the foot of my trooper to it and then he'll stand on top of it.

I had seen it in numerous photos of others armor and wanted to do it for mine.

Thanks for looking

Eric

That base is great! How did you carve it, some sort of router? Would love to make a helmet stand with a base like this.

That base is great! How did you carve it, some sort of router? Would love to make a helmet stand with a base like this.

Thanks for all the comments! I am really happy with how it turned out. I carved with a CNC router. This one measures about 24" in diameter. I can scale it down for helmet bases as well. Maybe I should inquire about the rules of making them available to other members.

-Eric

Thanks for all the comments! I am really happy with how it turned out. I carved with a CNC router. This one measures about 24" in diameter. I can scale it down for helmet bases as well. Maybe I should inquire about the rules of making them available to other members.

-Eric

Agreed.

I got my shoulder straps glued on nicely.

100_2579.jpg

I got a little e6000 on the finish pieces and got it cleaned off. Thanks to those that posted in my other thread for the advice to keep it clean.

100_2580.jpg

100_2581.jpg

I did have to move them up a little higher than I had expected and some of the area that I sanded is now exposed. I have some polishing compound that I am going to use to try and get the shine back. Anybody have any pointers or different approaches to share?

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by hdtheater

My garage has been taking all my attention. I need to clean it all up before I break my neck out there.

I was able to get some pants for my trooper tonight. These are thermal pants from Dick's Sporting Goods. My TK Boots came in too.

Also, I ordered some snaps from Tandy to hold everything together. I had velcro, but decided to go with snaps. I think the glue on the velcro will eventually give out.

100_2583.jpg

I got the front of the shins done too. I still need to fit them in the back and mark for a cut before I finish them. I should be able to get that done while I wait for my snaps to get here.

Thanks for looking.

-Eric

It may not look like much, but I did get a lot done this weekend.

I worked on my straps to hold the ab, back and butt plates together. After the e6000 sets up, I will get the other side done as well.

100_2590.jpg

100_2589.jpg

100_2588.jpg

Also, as I waited for e6000 to set, I drilled a hole in the bottom of my TKBoots for the rod of the mannequin to fit through. While I had it all apart, I went ahead and drilled the holes in my Imperial Logo Base Plate and mounted him to it as well.

100_2591.jpg

100_2592.jpg

I am making some good progress on my build.

I got all the snaps installed on my ab, back, and butt plates.

100_2597.jpg

And started on my shoulder bells.

100_2596.jpg

100_2595.jpg

I have to admit I am a rare earth magnet nerd. I use them everywhere I can.

Thanks for looking.

-Eric

I have been working hard on getting this guy done. I was able to get my thighs finished the other day.

100_2590-1.jpg

100_2591-1.jpg

I got the shoulder bells done too. Currently working on biceps and forearms. Should have some progress to post on those tomorrow.

-Eric

I forgot to take pictures of the biceps being made, but we have seen plenty of that before.

100_2596-1.jpg

Here are the forearms.

100_2705.jpg

100_2706.jpg

100_2707.jpg

100_2708.jpg

and then on the mannequin.

101_0670.jpg

I just need to adjust a few things and he will be all good.

Thanks for looking.

-Eric

I spent a little more time on my build today and moved him into my office to keep R2 company. :)

The only real differences are things you really can't see. In order to get his boots on, I had to cut his feet and he then leaned forward too much. In order to straighten him up, I riveted on a metal plate to his foot to keep him from leaning.

The other change is that I stuffed his body suit with some padding to help fill out the armor a little better. If the Troopers were built like my mannequin, the rebellion would have crushed them rather quickly. :)

The build is mostly done. I still need to get a neck seal, a holster, and a blaster. When I get the blaster, I am going to redo his hands so he can hold the blaster.

Other than that, I am considering him done!

101_0687.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Eric

Edited by hdtheater