If you could change the FX, what would you like to see different on a future version?

I was talking to someone today about FX and how in some ways it's really not that bad. The subject got around to "if you could change FX, what would be tops on your list?"

We're looking for constructive changes only - bashing posts will be deleted.

Example:

I'd change the helmet. Not the size, but the dome should be more rounded like in the movies.

Helmet aside I'd like to see:

1: The biceps extended by a couple inches to make them more accurate.

2. The top contour of the rear thighs to come higher. There is way too much black showing.

3. Rework the chestplate so the pecs smaller and higher.

4. Make the cog on the backplate look more defined.

Without getting too critical, one of the more obvious things would be to change the outline of the chest armor. It looks like it's not only shaped wrong, but it's a bit too large and reaches the belt on the sides in most cases and covers the ab piece too much IMO. If you have a larger frame or are a lot taller, then it's not as noticeable. Also, the box on the back piece looks too angular where it extrudes from the back. The hand plates look over-sized a bit as well. There are plenty of other subtle differences, but those are the most noticeable.

I thought the FX kit was getting or has already been retooled. I know I'd seen a newer version of the helmet in a fan film that actually did'nt look too bad.

Check plate improvement: the front chest plate comes in too far from the arm pits. I

would extend the chest plate outwards so the opening isn't so large between front and back plate and the armpit area.

I don't know if it's possible, but make the lower back piece larger so that it wraps around the body more and meets up with front piece so there is less black on the sides (especially difficult on troopers who are larger in the gut area).

I don't know if it's possible, but make the lower back piece larger so that it wraps around the body more and meets up with front piece so there is less black on the sides (especially difficult on troopers who are larger in the gut area).

outside of the above changes, I would like to see the parts generally sized up. This would allow more troopers to use the armor with less shims, and smaller troops can trim away the excess. I would be MOST interested in the legs and arms, but in general, everything could a "little" bigger. I can't stand my shims.

Actually on the FX it's the front that doesn't wrap around far enough.

...welll...

- completly rework the helmet

- I like the idea of upsizing the arms and legs ( I too hate my shims and the thighs drive me nuts!)

...you know what...as I am sitting here thinking and typing about what I would change, I realize it may be easier to say what I WOULDN'T change!

-price

-material

-availability

..just about every piece of the kit could use some tweaking...but I think tops would be sizing...I still dig my FX though!

I think the general answer would be to make it more accurate...

I think that's agreed if someone gave you instructions to make something "better", it's not specific enough. For instance:

-> I like the fact that the FX is oversized. While it's not ideal for troops under 6', it's a great option for folks that are. I'd suggest being more open to selling helmet-less kits but also the option to buy a larger helmet.

-> Please keep a larger one but change the following:

-----Rounder cap, esp. front and back as seen from side

-----smaller front mandibles

-----smaller eyes

-----ears could be a little more forward (minor)

(I used this a guide for my suggestions)

-http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/AugSept/FXAACRGFcf1.jpg

-----please also keep the bucket symmetrical

-> Changes to the kit

-----provide accurate colored ab plate buttons for ANH/ESB (since this is what most folks do)

-----provide blue tube stripes instead of black for ANH/ESB (since this is what most folks do)

-----provide canvas belts instead of plastic, or at least a canvas cover

-> The single back plate is nice, but I'd like to also see a seperate butt/kidney

-> Adding more material on the ab/back(kidney) is a great idea. Skinny folks can trim it off, larger ones could sure use it.

-> Personally I like the older original thighs. Perhaps having a set of "skinny" bucks and "larger" bucks for certain parts like thighs and biceps would help?

well, hmm.. I saw this thread and the first thing I would say naturally is to burn the molds and start over.

But, the main big things:

Helmet- Just start over. I am sorry but it is not even remotely close and it is really the one thing that ruins the suit. Toss it out. Start over.

Chest- no curve to it. Make it slightly round with the body and it will be a ton better.

back plate- WAY too much material cut out on the sides. It doesn't even look close to the real thing.

Cod- well, the trimming on the bottom of the lower area is just silly. revamp that and it will be a ton better.

kidney/butt- separate NOT just cut. also re do the butt plate entirely. It looks like you are wedging a kite up your butt in that suit.

belt- STOP using plastic for the belt period

buttt pack- good lord, it is NOT made of 5 formed parts and STOP USING CHROME TAPE... PERIOD! None on the suit folks.. NONE

The rest is good enough really. Illusion of thinkness lines on some of the parts would make the suit a ton better to look at.

But in the end, just get TE movie helmet and it will make a ton of difference already! ( I kid, I kid!)

I would not use any thicker plastic. .090 in ABS.. whats the point? at that thickness it is the same as styrene. There is no flex to it so why bother? Detail would be marvelous in .060 or .080 for the suit. Even just make some parts in one thickness and switching for others would help too.

My half dead thoughts for the day...

T*E

Without getting too critical, one of the more obvious things would be to change the outline of the chest armor. It looks like it's not only shaped wrong, but it's a bit too large and reaches the belt on the sides in most cases and covers the ab piece too much IMO. If you have a larger frame or are a lot taller, then it's not as noticeable. Also, the box on the back piece looks too angular where it extrudes from the back. The hand plates look over-sized a bit as well. There are plenty of other subtle differences, but those are the most noticeable.

I thought the FX kit was getting or has already been retooled. I know I'd seen a newer version of the helmet in a fan film that actually did'nt look too bad.

yeah, I cut my chest and back plate down about an inch and a half :unsure: