Why become a member of the 501st

Quebectrooper

Hello everyone, i'd like to know what are the advantages of being a member i'm sure there's many. I'm not approved yet.

My wanting to join stems from a lifelong love of Star Wars. If I had known about the 501st sooner, I would have joined sooner. Although, I am not an approved member...YET!

Not only do you get to dress up like a Stormtrooper more then one time a year (Halloween), you get to put your passion of Star Wars to a positive use. Raising money for charity was the icing on the cake for me. Meeting awesome people who have the same passion and interests is great too.

I think the correct question would be, "Why NOT become a member of the 501st?" :rolleyes::lol:

This is just what I came up with in 60 seconds:

1. Part of a global organization - literally!

2. Everyone in the 501st has at least one thing in common - an undying love of Star Wars. No one's going to kick sand in your face for being a costume nerd here

3. Being able to own an absolutely kick-butt costume - and wear it a lot more than just once a year at Halloween

4. Being able to serve your community and do good things in a totally unique way - this ain't some run-of-the-mill charitable organization

5. You get to live out a childhood fantasy and share it with others

There are many, many more and each individual has their own reasons. Personally, I love this group and wish I'd found the 501st years ago (been a member for less than 2 years).

Oh yeah, one more - chicks dig armor:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=7261

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=8874

Being part of the 501st is like having gained thousands of new brothers and sisters, (and distant cousins!)

As a good example, I am a member of the Pacific Outpost, and the local Garrison here in Washington, caught wind of me being on vacation here and treated me and my girlfriend to a nice lunch and we met and shared stories. Our detachment leader, Paul, was at the lunch, was kind and offered me a Titan Garrison patch as a welcome gift, as well as an Expert Infantry patch, which I will be earning sometime this year, when I upgrade my FX TK to TM armor. ;)

Additionally you gain access to 501st goodies not available to the public... :)

EDIT: being in the 501st allows you more opportunities to wear your costume and even do good with charity work.

Edited by TK 6918

Cool. I understand. Well the Red Cross is having an event for theyr people and kids and that will be my first event as a Trooper.

I'm in showbiz and usually charge a lot to come to an event but that i'll do for free !

Cool. I understand. Well the Red Cross is having an event for theyr people and kids and that will be my first event as a Trooper.

I'm in showbiz and usually charge a lot to come to an event but that i'll do for free !

Legally you cannot charge anyone to appear in a star wars costume. The 501st is a volunteer organization. Just keep that in mind if you do join.

Now since you mentioned you are into showbiz, I would think you'd make a great addition as a stormtrooper, because your already experienced in entertainment.

I expect to see some funny youtube videos of you in armor in the near future :P

A lot of people that do armor are also into other movie props, some of my garrison brothers in texas that I meet at all-con that had a a lot of costumes... They had 2-3 star wars outfits each, firefly outfits, vault (fallout3) outfits with custom made pip-boys. It's crazy what some of these guys can do when they pool resources and knowledge... Wish we had more members in Tulsa.

You also get to go to 501st after parties at conventions!... which apparently can be a fair amount of drama (Looking at you all-con)

Edited by MiDri

IMG_0993.jpg

2.jpg

japan-day8-20070.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

DSCN7214.jpg

Put aside money.

Put aside fame, attention and glory and give of yourself in the costume. Giving is a wonderful feeling and one that keeps growing in you. I will troop as long as I am able to fill the costume. I troop out of costume. Just give.

Every thing I have an every thing I do is for that moment when a child sees a real stormtrooper for the first time. Just like when I was 4. I still remember that day, and you can see it when it's real. When you take a knee and the wonder and illusion is there, the hope and the joy of a giant gentle action figure interacting with a child...

Everything else is a side benefit. Its for the kids.