HOWTO: Build a E-11 from scratch V1.0

How to build a E11 from scratch

Hy troops!

It has been a while since I finished my blaster, but since there are not a lot of tutorials on the FISD I thought it might help some of you :)

Since i had seen Pablo's blaster on youtube I was fascinated by the posibilites and then i found this marvellous tutorial on the web, so if there is any step unclear from my small tutorial you should look it up here:

http://darksidesithlords tutorial

and i really have to thank those two, without Pablos inspiration and this tutorial it would have been a lot harder!

before I start with the tutorial here is a basic overview of my blaster:

Length: ca. 50 cm

Hight: (max) 20 cm

With: (max) 15 cm

Weight: 1.25 kg

Work hours: ca 150h

Features:

- working foldingstock

- cocking action

- "real" removable energieclip with LiIon Batteries

- illuminated Scope with Crosshair

- illuminated original Hengstler Counterbox

- working Trigger , Single/Full Switch, Menuebutton, forcefeedback handle

- locking endcap

- Sound FX (Blastercore)

- 6 Ray LED's

- original Hengstler Counterbox

So, lets start in the beginning:

I started of with what you can see in this picture:

P1010352.jpg

just a couple of sheets of Aluminium and two Pipes:

1x 36mm pipe 60cm long

1x 32mm pipe 15cm long

2x 2mm 30x30 cm sheet (that was a little too much)

2x 1mm 30x30 cm sheet

1x 1.5mm 30x30 cm sheet (way too much ^^)

these are some of the tools i used:

P1010353.jpg

I'm not quite sure if i remember every tool i used, but i will try to make a list with the most important ones:

- Dekupiersäge (its a German word for something like an automatic fretsaw): Its the orange saw on the picture above. I used this to cut the Aluminium which worked really good! In the beginning you might ruin a couple of sawblades, but you will get used to it and i know that a couple of german guys are using those saws now too.

- drill press: you can see it on the picture. You could use a normal drilling machine, but its very comfortable to have it fixed when drilling all the holes in the barrel ^^ And of course you need a lot of driller :D

- Drehmel: I'm not sure that you know what i'm talking about but its like a small drilling machine you can use for some fine grinding, etc

- file: i had a lot of different ones

- a lot of sandpaper!

- thread-cutting tap (you can use glue in some cases but i like it when you can disassemble things )

- a bench vise

and yeah probably a lot of small stuff like screwdrivers, different handsaws, clamps, small pieces of wood (i used them to bend pieces: for example the U shape from the folding stock. first i drilled the holes, then I bolded it on a piece of wood and finally i bended both sides. This way you get two nice L shaped edges)

for the blastercore you will need a standart electric equipment including a soldering bolt, wires, etc.

but lets get started!

i used double-faced adhesive tape to glue the blueprints on the sheets (you get those at the BBC: Blaster Builder Club. I will upload them for you as long as its okay with the owner. And yeah the credit for those goes to iambuddy from the BBC! these are some awesome blueprints!)

P1010354.jpg

after this you use your fretsaw to cut them. Once you are used to it this will be pretty easy! Afterwards it needs a little sanding and then its good for bending.

here is the first part of my blaster when it was kind of finished:

P1010350.jpg

the bench vise you see in the back is all i used for bending. And i should also say that if you need any closer steps while building your own blaster look here and you will find it all: http://darksidesithlords tutorial

so this is what i had done after a day:

P1010355.jpg

P1010357.jpg

P1010358-1.jpg

since i had a week of i was able to get a whole lot done!

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

the T-tracks are made from PVC and were first cut in all dimensions and then bended (using heat).

the raw material for the T-tracks looks like this

DSC00067.jpg

its used to store cable.

The front nozzle was made out of a lot 2mm sheets which were glued and once it is painted you wound be able to tell. Its an easy way if you dont have the right grinding machines to work with thicker material... and yes it is upside down :D

here you can see how i designed the barrel in a way that it will hold the blastercore (the grinded area), the speaker and also the ray led's. And since I'm using pluggs to connect the handle (more about that later) with the blastercore it is quite easy to pull everything out in case you want to change something:

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

here you can see the plugs for the clip. I used 4 so i would still be able to recharge each batterie (i used 2 Li-ion 900mAh) which are permanently mounted in the clip.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

also the finished clip:

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

here i had a minor set back ... since i was only able to fit both batteries inside gluing the U shaped pice wrong sided. I know its not movie like, but i hope you will forgive me ^^

Also a couple of minor updates:

the frontsight insert:

DSC00002.jpg

and of course the entire back of the blaster:

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

a got a nice spring which looks just like the original:

DSC00023.jpg

a picture of theejection port cover (it took me 2 hours to grind the details ^^)

DSC00014.jpg

all together:

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

now lets talk about the handle: it has a vibrationmotor, a momentary switch for the menueselection, a momentary switch for the trigger, a rotation switch for full/single (i thought it would be cool to make it funktional)

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

i hope you can see the grinded places where the parts have been applied.

after building, gluing and grinding it looks like this:

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

The rail for the scope is being mounted in one hole and in the rearsight insert where i glued a M5 nut. The rail also secures the barrol from falling out and it works better than i imagined!

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

to give you an idea what my blaster looked like at this point:

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

the small piece for the knife was entirely remodeled. I just didn't have better pictures at that time.

this is the counterbox, when all led's were still working as supposed to ... sadly after gluing one yellow stopped working so now it is a little battledamaged ;) I Also have to say that this is NOT the counterbox i finally used! I was lucky enough to get a hold on a real counterbox :) But I think these pictures might be helpful for some to see how to use a Resin Counterbox and light it up!

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

now the scope ... it is not done yet, but just for you to get an impression! i drilled a 16mm hole in it, cut it into pices, got some aluminum foil inside, as well as a part of an old cd, a led and a crosshair and glued it all back together. The led works as an on/off led. after it is painted some lenses will be applied.

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

to get an impression of the whole thing: (also showing a part of the d-ring)

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

and last but not least the folding stock "snaps" now in the endcap locking it

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

So now all that was left was to paint it! I did it using an Airbrush and a K-3 Airbrush Pistol and it worked perfekt! Never had so much fun painting! I sprayed twice primer on it (which was also black) and twice flat black. Afterwards i used a sponge and some metallic paint to apply a battle damage look.

A couple of things are still missing at this point: the Ray Propagation LED's and the perfect rivets for the folding stock.

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

some Details:

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

and of course you can see some action:

and finally how the might come boxed in Star Wars when a trooper just orderes his E11 :D

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

I hope this might help some of you and i will try to update this Tutorial sice I'm quite sure that somethings are missing or should be written differently. So if there is anything you need to know let me know :) I also have to ad a video from the finished thing! It now has all the features implemented and it really is a lot of fun to play around with it :D

greetings

Carsten

• Like 1

thanks for all your kind comments :)

Wow, with those skills, you could probably make a working one...

hehe i just might do that ;) Well i studied laserphysics for a while but than changed my main focus back on particle physics

• Like 1

Gosh, Carsten...I don't even consider myself a "gun person", and I'm drooling all over that! When are you starting a waiting list for orders?!? ;)

Thanks for posting the tutorial!

Edited by eoastrooper

Sweet!!!! Wow. Crazy good!!!!

Thanks for this tutorial... I'm off to build one of my own now!

EDIT:

I gave up. B) haha

Seriously man. This is brilliant.

If you ever go crazy and want to sell these bad boys let us know!

Edited by No'l

• 2 months later...

only couple things I can see is the rear sight is a little too pointed.

the front sight actually has knurling on the real ones.

nice attention to detail on the mag clip end!

with those resin parts that build looks pretty easy to do!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Holy! That is wildly impressive, and to have used 150 hours is really a lot, that's a full month of work; 7,5 hours a day, five days a week.

Your persistence and skill is something to look up to. I salute you.

• 10 months later...

now lets talk about the handle: it has a vibrationmotor, a momentary switch for the menueselection, a momentary switch for the trigger, a rotation switch for full/single (i thought it would be cool to make it funktional)

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

i hope you can see the grinded places where the parts have been applied.

great work!

i am just curious on how did you cut the resin

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me where I might find a spring like that? I'm working on a Doopydoos blaster and wondered if it would fit. The only other option is to make one out of garden wire.

Fantastic build by the way.

Edited by Starsky