FX armor instructions

I aggree the instructions that came with my suit i dont think i ever read them fully, just threw them out of the window, lol.

Tony's site is a good one to follow as Mario has posted, also try this one for plenty of refrence from our very own Steve aka Ruf Terrain.

-------

I found it was alot easier than i first thought, i would suggest starting on something easy to put together like the arms then upper body then main body then legs and leave the lid til last.

Good luck ^_^

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Hey Dish - in addition to Tony & Steve's site we have a bunch of tutorials here as well. There are some other variations you should consider:

1) Connecting the chest/back with white strap and leaving the plastic straps as cosmetic only. Glue just the fronts or velcro both front/back instead of using rivets

2) Using insertion buckles is in some areas nicer than pure snaps as they're more adjustable. This will be personal preference.

3) Whether to use cordura straps vs. stretchy straps. This is a personal pref difference.

4) Steve's recommendation to use a garter to hold up the thighs is definately a good choice and better than connecting it to your ab plate

5) I'd recommend not cutting the cod or butt plate until you've done a troop or two. For some it helps, others not.

6)

Just in our own garrison take a look at the different rigs - I bet no two are alike.

I skimmed over the instructions, but I got the FX lite. No glue or Velcro included in the kit. I have learned there are ten-and-twenty ways to assemble this kit... but I did as follows. I used one clamp, CA glue, and CA accelerant, and I did this while watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with my youngest... two hours max to complete all of my upper armor.

I used CA and accelerant to glue each connection point on the bicep armor after taping together over my arm, flexed, the measurement was good, glued, applied accelerant. Clamp. Biceps done.

Glued the top detail strip on the forearms, applied Industrial Velcro to the bottom overlap detail strip. Clamp. Forearms done.

CA glued elastic straps to shoulder armor to go under armpits, applied accelerant, applied Velcro for connection to armor shoulder straps. Shoulders done.

Decided on a fully glued shoulder strap set-up. For added strength, I scored the connection points with a blade. I used CA glue, then accelerant, clamp 4 times, chest/back done.

For the torso, I am going with white vinyl side shims (since I do not have a 34" inch waist) - I just need to buy the vinyl. Torso will be done once I have the material.

My suit should hold up to several days of trooping - I hope. I did the exact same assembly on my ABS clone armor, and it held up to 2 full days of trooping at Celebration 3 in 2005, Star Wars Premiere Day - all day, Halloween (2 full days), and a troop with Star Garrison in early 2006. Six days of long troops with not a single seam pop.

We shall see. Neckseal and white boots arrive today.

I expect to go from zero-to-TK in twenty days! This is an easy suit to put together. Plus I have had some great advice from guys here!

Later Brothers,

John

Just please tell me Mike that you're not going to use that FX bucket. Except as a pot for plants.

Just please tell me Mike that you're not going to use that FX bucket. Except as a pot for plants.

I got the FX lite version, so I dont think I need a new Flower pot :lol:

Yes Wyatt I see a Armor coming up soon for the Garrison

• 2 months later...
I got the FX lite version, so I dont think I need a new Flower pot :lol:

Yes Wyatt I see a Armor coming up soon for the Garrison

I ordered my FX kit a couple days ago and found this thread very helpful. I cant wait to get started. Two questions I have.

1. How well can you sit in the armor? and how difficult is it to have a bio-break?

2. Im gonna need a blaster now but not ready to spend a lot (just yet). Need soemthing that will get me buy until I can save up.

cheers@!

WRT to sitting and bio breaks, a lot has to do with your body type and how you put your armor together. I've seen people completely cut off the cod and have it as an item you can 100% remove w/o taking off other armor pieces. Makes a bio break very easy. My FX is all snap/strap that I can put on/off very easy, so even w/o a cut cod I don't have issues. Just undo the crotch snap, unsnap thighs, and I'm OK.

As for sitting - my experience is that anyone can do this if they are tired enough. A lot of people who said they couldn't sit ended up doing just that after the Rose Parade. My only concern about sitting isn't freedom of movement but cracking that tab on the butt plate (did that once on my clone armor, but so far been OK on the FX). I can sit equally fine w/o a cut cod piece, but others say it makes all the difference for them.

IMPORTANT SUGGESTION:

An item on my armor to do list is to re-do my shoulder straps and my knees because rivets are visible. I DON'T suggest following my instructions on the shoulder straps or knees. I need to take those instructions off the site.

On the flip side. In my head, I have engineered a way to put those parts on by riveting from the inside out. I am going to try to cut a piece of styrene and rivet from the inside of the armor to the styrene. Then shave the end of the rivet down and then ABS cement the shoulder to the styrene. I have NOT tried this yet but I imagine it will be my solution for seemless shoulders and knee plates.