TIP: Fix for common boot problem

Here was my problem... I'd put my shin/calf armor over the top of my boots. Then, ten steps later my boots have popped out from under the front of my shins. Sure, you could get someone to push the leather back up under the armor. But ten steps later... it happened again! Some of you are questioning, "Is is really ten steps?" Yes, I scientifically reproduced this in labs. 9 out of 10 dentists also agreed.

So here's the fix. Sew some nylon straps to the front of your boots with velcro sewn on the straps (facing outward). I took my boots into the local shoe repair store for this and had them insert the strap inbetween the 2 layers of leather (I have TKboots.com boots). Then take some of your sticky industrial strength velcro tape and tape it to the inside of your shin armor. At first, I tried using snaps... they hurt my shins like a SOB! I used "hook" velcro on the straps, and "loop" velcro on the armor to prevent the hooks from doing a number on my underarmor. Oh, I recommend sewing the velcro onto the nylon straps before you attatch the straps to your boots. It must have been a sight watching me man handle my boots as I sewed the velcro onto the straps.

This fixes the problem of the shins riding up and it helps keep them from twisting. I did a jig in the new boots and armor and problem is fixed! Now, I can't take all the credit. Scott Magerfleisch gave me this advice, I just wanted to pass this along to the masses.

I bought the 1 inch wide nylon straps at REI for 27 cents. That'll be the cheapest purchase from REI for me EVER! Now go out there and keep on troop'n!

ABzZC5Y.jpg

xVcvtqk.jpg

• Like 1

Me too - with long legs I get this happening from time to time, esp. with TE2 shins (as opposed to RT/FX which never gave me the issue).

• 1 month later...

I never had this problem, neither with my FX style calves nor my current screen lineage ones. I never heard anyone talking about this, actually.

Nice solution though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...