Pandatrooper's AM build thread[*AM]

I'm lucky enough to have one, and can vouch for the design. The adjust-ability is a huge factor as it allowed me to gradually wear-adjust-wear-adjust until I had it where I wanted it.

My closure in the back of the shins is pretty common. The back is a butt seam (not joined) with the cover strip glued to the outer shin. It just closes over my shin and is secured with velcro. Some people leave them without velcro to just clamshell shut. Others use elastic and hooks, etc.

Here's a couple useful threads for you:

The Academy page tutorials for leg assembly

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials/armor-tutorials/thighsshins.html

Thread on shin closures

http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9909

This is how you did your AM kit. Just wondering because it has been molded in the back to that one half of the strip can fit into the other and be secured with velcro. Did you remove the raised portion so that you can butt the peices together and then add the strip? Thanks for the links.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. You can read up on it in my build thread. The AM kit shins were made with the molded edges on the wrong side. The "ridges" should have been molded on the outer shin, but they were instead molded on the inner shin. I'm not sure why they approached it that way.

Regardless, on my build - my shins were slim enough to not need the ridge at all. I cut it off so that that both sides of the shin backs have no ridges. I trimmed them to size, and glued half the cover strip on the outer shin piece. Added some velcro, and that was it.

If you can't do this, don't assemble the shin armor "inside out" just to get the ridges on the outside. It's important that you retain the shape and have the proper orientation for the pieces. Keep the ridge on the inside, and glue the cover strip on the outer shin. No one will know. :)

Wow, this thread is just incredible. :duim:

I was leaning towards buying an AM kit for my first build, but two things kept popping up here that are making me question that decision:

1.) I'm 5'9", 165 lbs, so not much bigger than you.

2.) I have precious little space in our condo for a lot of "construction."

Should I be thinking about a different kit?

I think it will work fine for you, you won't need to trim as much as me. Even though it's a fan sculpt and does not have any "screen lineage", i think it's a great kit for trooping since it's very durable, very shiny and an "idealized" TK look. I have an ATA kit that I'm building up for a more screen accurate TD look.

Plus you can assemble the AM kit as easy or as complex as you want. I think this build was more complex, but I could have also easily just trimmed it to size and trooped in it. You don't have to do all the fancy return edges or butt join / cover strips if you don't want to. It was designed with overlap assembly in mind, this build sort of took it a few steps further.

IMO, kits like AP and the thigh and shin alignment issues are harder to fix (correctly) than assembling an AM kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pandatrooper,

Mate you have done a great job with the suit. :) I'm looking at getting an AM (Going to do ESB trooper) in a couple of months and was concerned about sizing( I'm 5'11" 205lbs)but seeing what you have done with it looks like the kit for me.

The concern i had was that from photos Ive seen, the bottom of the thighs look to big.I know now the people that owned those suits didn't worry about tapering it to there legs so to speak.

I will definitely be looking at this thread a lot when i finally get mine.

Fantastic job B)

Glad you find this helpful. The AM kit is great for trooping, I love it!

You can taper the thighs no problem. I made a thigh assembly tutorial here.

http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11563

he key is to make sure you size it properly. With the front of the thigh assembled, wrap the thigh armor around your thigh, and snug up the back at the to and bottom, and make a mark where they overlap. You might find that you need to "squeeze" the bottom of the thigh area more than the top, if you want to taper it more.

Thanks Panda for such a great write up. I'm probably going to end up getting an AM set of armor for my first ever set. I have a few people in my local garrison who have offered to help put this together which will be incredibly helpful.

I went through your posts and couldn't find what helmet you chose. I know you got the light kit (I'm considering doing the same) but I cannot decide on the bucket.

Thanks!

Hi Brandon. I was using an older stunt helmet I had in the photos, but I have an AP now which I'll paint to match the armor better. I've also got an ATA which is HIPS and needs to be painted.

Some other options you might consider are:

- AP (white ABS)

- ATA (white HIPS)

- TE2 (white HIPS)

- TM (it's actually an off white, and I think he's made them in varying types of plastic but mostly ABS I think)

- MRCE (the newer one. Needs some minor modifications, but it's fairly solid)

Whow... I've now officially written down AM as my preferred Armour choice. It looks real nice, but the question is, would it be ok as a first build...

AM is a great choice for a first build.... I had no idea what I was getting into when I started on my AM build. I am glad I didnt. I didnt feel as compeleded to have my armor as "perfect" as per say the guys that are going for pure screen accurate. No offense to the people going for movie accuracy. That truly is our common bond! Those were the suits that started this passion for most of us out here. But the more I see pictures the "original" suits, the more I say to myself "what a piece of junk" Yes its kinda like looking at the holy grail and saying wow I expected more.... Maybe ive just had my rose color glasses on too long.

Awesome job there, Panda. Now I have a question... did you made the cuts on the back of both the shin and thigh armor so they don't pinch you behind the knees? Any pics showing how are yours done (if you did)?

I've already started my AM armor assembly, actually almost done and trying to have it ANH "almost" screen accurate... but I didn't see this thread before starting..... DAMN! Now to start all over again. <_< :D

Edited by DarthVader1

Hi Robert. I think most troopers only make those cuts if they need to. The pictures from the film seem to vary, some have the lower thigh cut, some have the upper shin back cut, some have both. I think it depends on your sizing / length of your limbs.

I trimmed about 1/2" notch in the lower back of the thighs, but I didn't trim the back of the shins. I'll try and grab a picture for you.

Thanks for the great reply. ;)

Right now, I've done just a quick walk from one room to the living room with just the calf armor and the boots on... and believe me, I didn't like the way it was feeling like (cutting/scraping the back of my knees... OUCH! ). I will go and cut probably the back of the calf AND the thighs for better comfort and able to walk around.

Hi Brandon. I was using an older stunt helmet I had in the photos, but I have an AP now which I'll paint to match the armor better. I've also got an ATA which is HIPS and needs to be painted.

Some other options you might consider are:

- AP (white ABS)

- ATA (white HIPS)

- TE2 (white HIPS)

- TM (it's actually an off white, and I think he's made them in varying types of plastic but mostly ABS I think)

- MRCE (the newer one. Needs some minor modifications, but it's fairly solid)

Thanks for the input. I ended up going with the last option and bought No'l's heavily modded MRCE for his Cow Trooper. I got my shipping confirmation today that my AM set will arrive on Friday!!

Edited by Tyran

That's the helmet I went with and I love it.

Panda did you thin out the shoulder straps? Looking at the pic's they sort of do. And do you have them flush mounted to the chest plate or did you bend them down a bit to conform along the recess along the outside edge? Looks like you shortened the hand peices too. I will have to do that.

Edited by Bill.I.Am

Yes, I trimmed the shoulder straps narrower. The AM ones were trimmed really wide. I heated up an bent the straps to blend in better with the chest. I also flattened out tge shouler areas on the chest plate as the shape wasnt really right.

The hand plates shown are ATA ones. I'm going to trim and do a return edge on the AM ones soon.

Here's some close ups of the backs of the thighs and shins. I trimmed away a section on the lower edge of the thigh for better mobility. Yes, it's not screen accurate but neither is the armor. :) I move a lot better in it with the lower thigh back trimmed.

5021187881_65428ae5fd.jpg

5021188883_29ff33914b.jpg

5021796818_bfa446ecdf.jpg

5021190855_c32dbdf1a9.jpg

5021191815_32c7a4d590.jpg