Resin: what sort of glue & paint?

LJJNL

Hi,

I've got a resin E-11 blaster that I need to put together. I was wondering what kind of glue/filler, primer & paint I should use?

Found this for filler / glue (it's available in shops in The Netherlands):

http://www.milliput.co.uk/prod.htm

I also need to remove some resin to create a nice fit for some parts, what is the best way to do this? I've removed some small pieces with a dremel, that works fine, but for larger parts this takes quite some time :S

Thanks!

Regards,

Lennaert

You'll get almost everything for working with resin from your local automotive parts dealer.

Bondo, primer and spraypaint.

To glue together CA (super) glue works best.

To cut of large pieces: Always use a dremel, cutting wheels etc.

Maybe it helps if you post a pic?

Karin

I'll post a picture of the large part I'm removing when I get home.

Has anyone used Tamiya 'Fine surface primer' and paint on resin? I still have some of that left from my 'RC car'-period :)

Edited by LJJNL

That stuff sounds like plumbers putty. You can get it at any hardware store. Bondo is easiest to work with (sticks to high Hell), but it sands easy. I would use that, especially if you are going to paint it. Then the filler's color isn't an issue.

Edited by jawa001

That stuff sounds like plumbers putty. You can get it at any hardware store. Bondo is easiest to work with (sticks to high Hell), but it sands easy. I would use that, especially if you are going to paint it. Then the filler's color isn't an issue.

Devcon plastic welder.... holds well. rock solid.

Hm, I just read something about resin being very poisonous. I've used the dremel on the resin, I covered my mouth with a dubble folded t-shirt and I was working on a well vented balkony. I didn't use gloves or anything. Fine dust was floating around (probably still is). Should I worry? :D

Don't inhale :) It's bad for your lungs.

Wear a mask when sanding / grinding. Wash your hands and clothing afterwards, to prevent tracking dust around the house. I usually have a shop vac sucking the dust when I need to do serious grinding of resin.

Don't inhale :) It's bad for your lungs.

Wear a mask when sanding / grinding. Wash your hands and clothing afterwards, to prevent tracking dust around the house. I usually have a shop vac sucking the dust when I need to do serious grinding of resin.

Lol, I'll go change my clothes and take a shower :)

• 3 weeks later...

I use a two part 5min epoxy & regular spray paint. I've done several blaster mods & never once had a problem. My favorite spray paint comes from Walmart, it's .98 a can. I know you probably dont have Walmarts in the Netherlands, but what ever you have will work. The epoxy you should be able to find at any hardware store. Some come in a syringe type container. Others are two tubes you squeeze onto a piece of aluminum & mix with a stick. Either is good. Just make sure you get the 5min drying time, or you'll be holding it along time :dancing-trooper: