Smelly Caboots

Just wondering if anyone else with a pair of Caboot white trooper boots has trouble with a foul odor. Mine are brand new, and right out of the box I placed them into a giant-sized ziploc bag. Alone in just the box they started to stink up my closet. They are beautiful boots and fit great, but the smell is pretty strong. Please let me know if anyone else has encountered this problem and found a solution to the smell. :huh:

Ah, nothing like the aroma of brand new, fresh out of the box CABoots. :blink:

Pretty typical experience. Funny thing is, the smell didn't so much bother me even when they were new - although my boots are now 2+ years old, well-trooped, and my wife STILL hates the smell.

Perhaps placing cedar blocks inside them when not in use will help.

Yup, everyone that has one down here complains about the same thing, you just have to learn to live with it. Or you can get a pair of TK boots, I've read they do not stink.

hi, i worked for the humane society for a few years and had my share of stink-foot ;) i tried everything under the sun, but i found a few that worked 1: odoban (this can be found at pet stores or walmarts pet section 2: vinegar (put some in a spray bottle and mist them and let dry) 3: athletes foot powder (use this aftef vinager dries competly)

oh and do not try fabreeze it only made my shoes smell worse

hope this helps

Stormtrooper.jpg

Edited by dashrazor

Yup, everyone that has one down here complains about the same thing, you just have to learn to live with it. Or you can get a pair of TK boots, I've read they do not stink.

It is a right of passage!!! You have not trooped as a TK until you have smelled new CABoots!!!

Don't ever store your CAboots with your underarmor. The under armor will wick up the smell of the boots and you will stink to high hell. I made that mistake at DragonCon09.

I had mine for two months now (second owner). The smell goes away. Then again they been left in the garage for a week now. Just brought them back into my closet. Not enough to bother me.

When I bought mine 3 months ago, they immediately went to live in the garage. They stank* up the whole place, but since then the smell has dissipated somewhat. It's probably just the adhesive outgassing. I suspect the smell will go away altogether at some point, but I plan to store them separate from my armor for the foreseeable future.

* Don't really mind the smell actually, but my wife hates it.

I keep my Caboots in their own grocery bag within my armor tote to help contain the smell. The problem lies in the fact that it's not the leather uppers that smell, but rather the sole of the shoe, so I don't know what good it will do to stick sweet smelling things inside the boot.

• 4 weeks later...

HAHA, The wife said my CABoots stunk pretty bad. Luckily I have a defective nose & can't smell a thing :blink: I left mine out of the box for about a week & she said the smell was gone. Gonna have to trust her on this.

Hehe,

If I ever develop Alzheimer's Disease I could be cured by a whiff of that caboot smell. That is a distinctive smell and nothing is a more powerful memory trigger.

But I digress. I've had my caboots for a little over a year now and I've never minded the odor itself, just the strength of it. The smell is still there, just not as strong. My advice would be to learn to live with it. I've actually come to like the smell because it reminds me of happy troops.

Edited by Splattum