Sideshow 12" TD Pack 5 reference photos

I posted these on MEPD as well. These are some detailed pack photos I shot of my Sideshow TD Sandtrooper (white pauldron version). They seemed to have done a decent job in capturing the details, so I that I'd grab some shots incase anyone needed them.

I have the other 2 figures on order (their "Squad Leader" and "Corporal") which could be used as reference for Pack 3 and Pack 2 respectively. i could post pics when I get them if people want them.

4418080729_723a51966f.jpg

4418081223_db481c57c2.jpg

4418080949_9d997ce69a.jpg

4418081425_42fe38f34c.jpg

4418847694_5969b3e835.jpg

4418081903_3fe81bf7a5.jpg

4418848114_7deaef05da.jpg

4418082433_c338c15441.jpg

4418082643_52e8cb7993.jpg

4418848742_e55bbd164f.jpg

4418082989_c061e0c13b.jpg

4418849034_aa813d8d4b.jpg

4418083375_91d1071694.jpg

4418083775_d69ebb069d.jpg

Edited by pandatrooper

silly question ... has the top left item been identified, the thing that looks like a filter ?? i ask because it looks like the air filter element from an old rover 3.5 v8.

I don't know much about cars, but I too think it kind of looks like an airfilter. I havn't thought about it this way before.

Umm, is he wearing an FX helmet? :huh:

Otherwise, nice details. :)

I'm with Brian on the lid :unsure:

I expected better out of SideShow <_<

Great detail to the TD pack :duim:

The "airfilter" part has not been identified yet (as far as I know), but I dont think it looks much like a car airfilter. Looks more like something specially made for the pack.

Check this references.

This is the actual part:

And this is a scrath-built part (dont remember who built it):

filterq.jpg

It is a popular opinion at the MEPD that this pack was not modeled after a real screen used pack, but after a Crashmann/MH/SB backpack kit.

The Radio faceplate and the syphon are pretty much identical to crashmann's kit.

Great figure anyway.

Saludos.

Edited by iconoclasta_88

Sideshow must have done some reference gathering, and perhaps the older photos / footage of TD's are much like what the public can access. So probably in the pursuit of more detail, they looked to the internet / best sources. The figure is pretty much "Davin Felth" from the Looksirdroids / BraksBuddy site. Right down to the blaster, pauldron and even specific dirt details.

The more i look at this the more i think it looks like the rover airfilter.. has anyone ever worked on an early Rover SD1 v8? i beleive this maybe the source for the part and having just looked through ANH there is definately the corrugated look to it with a rubber looking top and bottom, and having worked on these engines myself i would say its about the right size for the scrren used item and if its not its very very close. :D

Check this link and look at the trooper on the right you can see where im coming from then.. click here

Edited by gh05ty

One thing that doesnt look right to me is that the at the top of the filter part, you can actually see where each "tube" ends. And each of them look like if they ended in a diagonal cut. I guess this could be done by removing the top rubber "lid", and then cutting every single section of the filter diagonally. Could be.

But so far I dont think someone has found any references showing the top rubber lid on its place, covering the whole filter part. Even though it does look like an air filter, I do think it is not.

Might be a modified air filter. But it is definitly not an off the shelf item.

Lots of people have been researching lots this piece of the pack, and have not found the right part yet. This is one of the few parts yet to identify on the pack. Hope someone finds it soon :D.

Juan i can see what you mean but if you look at the link i posted above and click on the pic to enlarge you can just make out the top (rubber) of the item and it does taper slightly inwards, looks very close to an original rover v8 filter which would have been readily available at the time of filming and of course its a uk made part so easy for them to get their hands on in any number they needed.

HEHE...

Yep Rob, no worries mate.

I have seen the picture. Actually, the picture I posted is from that same still, enlarged and enhanced in photoshop.

I think it is probable that the filter part could be an actual air filter. Even the rover V8 Filter. Im just saying that I have not seen any evidence that prove beyond any doubt that this part is a car air filter, or any other thing for that matter.

There is no real evidence showing that the fan-made filter I posted is better than the car air filter... Its just that I think that within this limited proofs, for me it seems more similar to that part, than to an off the shelf filter. But it could definitely be a modified or wrecked filter for sure.

I sure wish someone could identify this part beyond any doubt. ;)

Cheers bro!

Saludos.

Juan

I have just showed the screen cap to a friend who owns an old rover v8 sd1 and he says that it looks like the original filter to him too but he said

"it looks like they cut the top edge in about 10/15mm at an angle for some reason?"

maybe to disguise it a little or it could just be from something else that looks very close to it ?

...I guess this could be done by removing the top rubber "lid", and then cutting every single section of the filter diagonally. Could be...

I have just showed the screen cap to a friend who owns an old rover v8 sd1 and he says that it looks like the original filter to him too but he said

"it looks like they cut the top edge in about 10/15mm at an angle for some reason?"

maybe to disguise it a little or it could just be from something else that looks very close to it ?

Hehehe...

It could be!

Saludos.

Juan

PS. Im goint to ad a link to this topic at the MEPD... This is turning way interesting...

Edited by iconoclasta_88

This has been discussed over on the MEPD boards...

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=1414&st=40

The filter (I think) is from a Rolls Royce Derwent jet engine... Bits of this engine appear all over the place (IG-88's head and Obi Wan's Lightsaber I believe) so it makes sence that this came from there also...

backpack_air_filter.jpg

Edited by Caomhanach

I see what you mean about the similarity but.... if you do some checking on that oil filter you will find out that its only slightly bigger than a large car oil filter and quite a bit smaller than the "screen used item" nice find tho.

look at the pic showing the tank with the oil filter on the bottom and you can see its only hand sized, the other filter (fuel??) is only slightly bigger than this.

Edited by gh05ty