helmet speaker question

Hi Tony. I recently bought an AP lid with speakers fitted behind the aerators. To be honest I don't like it. Yes your voice is coming from the right place, but as it has been said, feedback cab be a problem AND I found them too quiet.

Darren

can i put motorola walki talki speakers in my helmet?

Hi Tony,

I worked out the feedback problem.......... You can't stop it but you can work with it!

I created a set of comm systems that help to defeat feedback. I call it FRT that's short for FART, sorry, no, I meant Feedback Reduction Technology also occasionally called FRS, Feedback Reduction System. I much prefer the FRT – much more fun. Seriously though, it does work with Hovi mix mic tips (I make them over here in Europe - Stomper makes them in the USA).

With regards to digital walkie speaker. Well yes, they would work. However, you would have to shield them to an airtight level. Then, guess what, you still get some feedback. Sonic Dymanics is a weird old thang.

If you need any help just PM me.

R ;-)

can i put motorola walki talki speakers in my helmet?

Okay Tony, the simplest way to do it is to use small caps to encapsulate your speakers. Drill a hole behind your aerators (and hollow out the aerators with an 8mm or 10mm drill bit. I suggest using smaller drills first and then work up to a bigger hole). Then use something like a kids toothpaste cap if your speakers are below 25mm. If the speakers are bigger then use a bigger cap. They key to getting it to work is to mount the speakers in acoustic deadening material (used for car doors) or white tac. Then make sure every edge and hole of the lid is sealed and airtight within you lid. The lid or cap should not be too big and it will resonate and help amplify the speaker.

Okay, so you probably know all this already and it's been a technique used for a long time.

Next comes the funky bit. Your microphone must be perfectly centred between the speakers with a gap of around 20mm between the mic and the front of your lid. A unidirectional mic is essential because it receives sound in only one direction. The XYZ position is critical and should be carefully and patiently experimented with until the feedback is eradicated. But, read on...

Then the little bit of magic. Your frown vents should open, e.g. filed or drilled through to enable airflow. This airflow really helps to reduce feedback. I understand why but it would require a very lengthy description so I'll leave that one out.

I spent a long time working out how to do this using various techniques. As I mentioned in my previous reply, you can't eradicate feedback completely but you can use some simple tricks to reduce it. I also have my FRT / FRS but I'm keeping that one under wraps because it took a lot of R&D to make it work.

Let me know how you get on. Patience and some minor innovation really works.

Cheers,

Rees.

My garrison-mate has a full RomFX with aerator speakers and solved the feedback issue with blue tak, IIRC.

My garrison-mate has a full RomFX with aerator speakers and solved the feedback issue with blue tak, IIRC.

You're right Paul. Blue Tac does the job beautifully. It's worth working it in your fingers for a minute or two to get it really hot and sticky. Then it will make an excellent seal. I did this with one of my lids when I was researching and it did a great job. I covered up all the Blue Tacked areas with a couple of ABS discs to match the inside of my lid.

The frown vent trick does work really well though.

R :rolleyes:

Alas, you can't see the details, but here are his innards :

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

On 3/7/2010 at 10:55 PM, Daetrin said:

Alas, you can't see the details, but here are his innards :

-----------

Good stuff Paul. Carsten and myself are currently working together on a project. He's a seriously talented guy and a pleasure to work with.

R ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13

Cheers! You know, if you ever need a bucket (or two) to use for installing prototypes, I believe I have a few laying around...---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

well this is how the walkie talkie speakers came out i just need to do more work

and get an amp . radio shack dont sell them anymore so i got to do some recon

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...

any ideas how to build the speaker boxes i was thinking about useing laundry detergent caps or roundish caps and fill them with cotton

and what if i use a standard computer speaker as a amplifier ?? just a question?