Stormtrooper display, what looks best?

LJJNL

Hi Troopers,

I want to create a stormtrooper display that looks like it stepped right out of a Star Wars movie (ANH).

Since I joined the whitearmor.net forum I've been reading build topics and browsing trooper galleries.

I think I might have seen & read _too_ much. Here is my problem:

I've checked many types of armor. They all look great and should be awesome on a display. But after reading the forum I figured I will always look at the display's details and think: that isn't right, this isn't accurate & that could be nicer.. etc.

How in the Emperor's name am I going to make the right choice in armor now!? I'm afraid I'll never be completely satisfied because all of the (extremely awesome) details you guys make, see & discuss :mellow:

What I want for the display:

- ANH Stormtrooper,

- Stunt-helmet

- Standard/regular (movie) sized

- ABS material (so I don't have to paint, I've got no room for that :()

- No weathering (or maybe a little 'usage')

There is no real answer to my next question, and it must have passed this forum like a thousand times before (I know and I'm sorry to ask you guys), but I really need expert help to give me that "I'm sure this is the armor for me"-feeling. Otherwise I'll be spending money on something that will, basically, irritate me for the rest of my life :D

What armor + helmet would look (all-round) best on a display?

Of all the armors I've checked I think AP, AM and TM armor are what I need. But I've some concerns:

1. I'm afraid that the helmet looks over sized.

2. Doesn't 'screen-accurate' make the display look *crooked*?

What do you guys think? Am I reading too much into the details for *just a display*? Should I just pick one a go from there?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Lennaert

The AP and TM helmet are roughly the correct size I believe and while they arent the cheapest, from what Ive seen those suits are probably your best bet for getting the closest to movie accuracy. The FX and the current AM helmet are usually the ones that run bigger. Who knows you might even what to put it on for a troop one day B). Good luck with your display man!

TE2, AP, and TM is what you want for accurate armor.....

TM: Accurate Fan sculpted armor and helmet made from ABS.

TE2: Casted from a real Stormtrooper armor and helmet made from HIPS.

AP: Also casted from a real Stormtrooper armor and helmet made from ABS.

It's your choice :salute:

I think your best bet for ANH accuracy and ABS would be as Pablo mentioned, TM armor. As far as a 5'10" mannequin goes, I can come stand in your living room in armor but I must warn you as soon as the lights go out, I'll raid your fridge.

There's been good responses for the armor, but for the mannequin, take into consideration:

- how to get the thigh armor on (if his feet are not removable, you might have a hard time getting the thighs on)

- how will it stand up (is there a support going up the butt? Does this line up with the suit?)

- will you need to cut a hole in the suit to support the mannequin?

- will the shoes fit on the mannequin?

- is there a base / support that attaches to the ankles? (does this interfere with the boots or shin armor?)

- can you get the lid on? (some mannequins have hair, and may not accommodate a lid nicely).

- are the arms in the position you want (holding a blaster? posing?)

Where did you get your mannequin?

I got it as a Christmas present from my brother last year. He got it on eBay I think its called a beniform mannequin or something like that.

I think your best bet for ANH accuracy and ABS would be as Pablo mentioned, TM armor. As far as a 5'10" mannequin goes, I can come stand in your living room in armor but I must warn you as soon as the lights go out, I'll raid your fridge.

That's OK, my fridge will be empty for a while after I buy my armor ;)

There's been good responses for the armor, but for the mannequin, take into consideration:

- how to get the thigh armor on (if his feet are not removable, you might have a hard time getting the thighs on)

- how will it stand up (is there a support going up the butt? Does this line up with the suit?)

- will you need to cut a hole in the suit to support the mannequin?

- will the shoes fit on the mannequin?

- is there a base / support that attaches to the ankles? (does this interfere with the boots or shin armor?)

- can you get the lid on? (some mannequins have hair, and may not accommodate a lid nicely).

- are the arms in the position you want (holding a blaster? posing?)

Oef, those are some interesting points you've got there. Getting a decent mannequin is going to be a hassle. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Here is my display setup at home.

That's just great! Did you have any issues with the points noted by pandatrooper? Did you have to do a lot of work on the mannequin for a nice fit?

Wait, wait, wait.... so you're just going to display it? Not wear it?

Yes sir :)

I suggest you assemble it as you would have to wear it, with all the proper strapping system, then put it on the mannequin.

That way it stays on as it should and if you change idea and want to wear it, it's ready ;)

I suggest you assemble it as you would have to wear it, with all the proper strapping system, then put it on the mannequin.

That way it stays on as it should and if you change idea and want to wear it, it's ready ;)

That would indeed be the best thing to do, but I'm a skinny tall dude so my fit won't look nice on a standard size mannequin (I think) :D

Pretty tall, yeah :P

Then buy a 5'10" mannequin and adjust the strapping system accordingly :)

MOT armor is an illegitimate recast of TE2, best avoided, as well as PT.

----------

+1 for TM (that's me being my own mannequin there... I'm currently planning to build my own though, once I decide to do it, I'll make sure to take pics :))

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

+1 for TM (that's me being my own mannequin there... I'm currently planning to build my own though, once I decide to do it, I'll make sure to take pics :))

Great armor! I'm leaning more and more to TM.. To bad there is a waiting list. I don't know how long the waiting list is yet (waiting for a reply :)).