All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Here is a link to my original build thread before life happened..... if anyone is interested..
  3. Does your red line at the bottom of the butt plate take an inch all the way around except the mating edge to the kidney plate OR just the bottom edge of the armor? The reason I ask is if you look at profile shots, the butt and kidney plate meet evenly without having the notch in the kidney plate. What are your thoughts? The other issue I just thought about is that if Ab plate looks correct, then if I cut an inch off of butt plate, the top of the ab and kidney plate will not line up. I had my wife make sure those were aligned during fitting. I don't know if this would be allow, but since I have to put in a shim to fill gap between ab and kidney, I could taper the ship at an angle so there is no step, but it would not be straight across. I know that is only a requirement for centurion, but I want it to look as good as I possibly can.... even I wait to do it until after basic approval.
  4. I like the thigh to end just above the knee cap. I would think that if the thigh rests on the knee cap itself, mobility would be even more difficult than usual. The bottom of the right knee is kind of hidden by the ammo pack. Now, about that thigh/torso relationship... (and this is what works for me, others might like to do it differently!). It really depends on your height. I didn't see you mention if you're a member of the Vertically Challenged Club or not. If you're on the taller trooper end of the spectrum, then you don't have to worry about shortening the thighs at all, and you can just build away. But if you're on the shorter end, you'll want to try to maintain the original shape of the thighs as best as you can while reducing the overall length of the thigh. Your goal is to have the armor fit well with as little black showing as possible. Try to look like one of these troopers. Pay attention to how the curve of the thigh follows the curve of the cod. I've seen many, many troopers just hack and slash away at their thighs (myself included with my first set of thighs!!!) before seeing how the thighs fit relative to the shape of the cod and butt plates. It's ridiculously easy to overtrim the thighs if you're not wearing your torso first! And your torso should fit you well before shortening the thighs. If your torso is too long, then your trims on the thighs will be all out of whack. Does that make things a little clearer for you?
  5. I do think that both halves of the neck line (chest and back plates) and shoulder tabs should be properly re-shaped. The neck is just too "flat" on both pieces, which lends immediately to the shape of the shoulder tabs. Dan did some great work in helping to define a better shape for those parts above. I do feel that the neck opening on the back plate should probably be reshaped a bit as well as the bottom as he indicated.
  6. Today
  7. For EIB you would need to shim the sides as the gap between the ab and kidney can’t be bigger than 1/2inch and if memory serves you’re already aware of that but other than that there’s nothing more you need to do on the torso for EIB and as i said, for Basic you are good to go
  8. Dan and everyone, Thank you for clarifying. When I went to bed last night, I was really feeling encouraged that the end was getting close. I think that suggestions you made above are worth pursuing at some point. I have been following the EIB guidelines as I have been building the whole way through. So, I plan to go for EIB after initial approval. I realize if I don't make some of these corrections suggested now that it might mean some added work and tearup when I do. However, I am really pushing to cross completing my armor and joining your ranks off my to-do / bucket list. I was already heading down the path of the reshaping the neckline, but I did not consider the butt plate. Thank you for the pictures and cut line reference. In the pic, I can see that the FX butt looks a little long compared to picture. I did compare it to ANOVOS kit before separating it from the kidney plate to make sure it was proportional. Do you think that the shoulder tabs on back plate need to be more rounded? If so, that would also pull up the back plate.
  9. The big thing to remember is that in general, all of the comments are offered in the spirit of legitimately helping you to have the best armor that you can. We all want you to be one of us, and we are working with you as part of your team to get you across that line.
  10. Well, the comments from facebook version of this post are implying a lot needs to be done to submit. I was pretty happy with this fitting and look last night before I went to bed. Some of the comments are making me question the fitting above. I plan to have straps to keep chest-to-ab closed and back-to-butt closed. I posted pics to see what needs to change for approval. I understand it is far from EIB and I can never get Centurion with this kit. I just want to join the Empire!
  11. Michael, I have just found your build thread (due to the activity here today) after providing some comments for you on Facebook. You are doing just fine. I feel like your May 17th goal is really quite easily attainable. Just don't get discouraged with it. Anything that slows you down is just a learning experience that will pay off in comfortable skill usage somewhere down the line, so you'll make up the time elsewhere due to what you learn. Be sure to take a look at some Centurion Approval submission threads. The reason that I suggest that is because you will be able to see good examples of what each piece should look like before you begin reshaping or altering your kit. Stay the course, you're doing great.
  12. I agree about the too much info statement. There is a lot but most of it is based on different peoples armor and how to build that specific armor. Basically if your not joining the 501st you can build what you want. The 501st has a set of standards they like to uphold due to closely working with LFL and now of course Disney. I personally built my own armor which was bought from AM. In the end I was happy I did build it because my body size isn’t average so I was able to get a better fit plus there is a satisfaction most people get from building something and being able to say I built that when someone comments on how cool it is. I don’t know much about SDS armor and I’m sure people will chime in but I looked at the site pics quickly and it looks like a few things would need to be changed to join the 501st. Again if that’s not your plan your fine. I’d recommend when you get home and unbox it. Start a thread in the build thread section with pics and we can help you out with anything that’s needed if you do decided to join the 501st. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Spot on advise, Daniel. :-) Michael, just to clarify, my suggestions were relating to your comments of the oversize and the alignment. They’re not required changes. :-)
  14. Okay, expert advice needed: I looked at other threads to see where the thighs are placed compared to the knee cap. Is it over the knee cap or is it sitting on top? While looking for these things I came across @Cricket's comment in one of the build threads where she recommends building torso first and then fitting of the leg parts. So... put aside the thighs and start over with the torso before I go for the legs? Personal impression because this thread is titled "vlog build-a-long": For someone who's doing this the first time those tutorials are not that helpful. Feels more like they're filming their daily building routine instead of doing a tutorial (espescially the thigh-part). There hasn't been an update since december so it's a little frustrating. Guess they are very busy but thigh part also feels like they lost interest in doing these tutorials. So sorry for asking so many questions others seem not to care about. I guess it's a little frustration and feeling left alone (not by you...)
  15. There are some good suggestions made but just so it’s clear, FX armor is clear for basic as it is, unless it’s clearly not fitting right on the person (as with any other armor make). For basic approval you don’t need to do any of the suggestions Dan made BUT your kit will definetly look alot more like the movie Troopers if you do, if that’s your thing. I know it’s mine But again, for basic you don’t need to.
  16. Hi all, Kind of a long rambling post with some questions near the end, so please be patient. I've never posted here before, but have been creeping this and various other armor sites for a long time. This may not even be the proper place to post this. This is not a true criticism of this or any other site, but there is such a thing as way too much info. LOL I became overwhelmed with the amount of separate forum topics, criticisms and comparisons of one armour over another, and trying to get past peoples biases. Also, some of the info was several years out of date. I originally thought to purchase a good quality set of TK armour for display and occasional wear. Not that money was no object or that I'm lazy, but I wanted something with minimal fuss that I could pay for the convenience of having it pre -assembled and look decent. People consistently posted that you should order the basic pieces, be willing to trim plastic, source small snaps and buckles and build the armour from scratch to truly enjoy this amazing hobby. Sorry, I don't buy that. I was not sure of joining the 501st for various reasons, so absolute complete screen accuracy was originally not too much of a concern. I soon learned, amongst other things, that there were various definitions of what screen accuracy is / was. Who was right in this respect? Anyways, after I had gone down every rabbit hole I thought I could find, I decided to take the plunge and order a complete Hero set from SDS. (Some of you probably just spit out your blue milk...) Only after paying for it and having confirmation of shipping (more on this in a bit) did I go down further rabbit holes. I then discovered mostly older but some new posts from various sources saying the AA / SDS armor is " No good! Stay Away! Avoid at all costs! Not screen accurate! Cobbled together from ESB or ROTJ pieces with lots of inaccuracies" Also, no matter what many people think of AA's business practices, he eventually did win the legal right to make the armour. Lets please not harp on this in this post... Various reviews I've seen on other armour manufacturers listed worse problems, so I felt relatively safe ordering this armour. Yes, the SDS armour is expensive, but: - The customer service was excellent - The complete armour, boots, body glove, neck covering, gloves, E11 blaster and holster plus display stands were ordered from the UK last week on Wednesday and just delivered to my front door in Canada. They are sitting in my dining room waiting for me to get home from work. - SDS seems to be one of the only makers that has the correct colour for the armour (once again, I'm not a complete expert here) Anyways, the questions are: 1) Is SDS sill considered bad? 2) More importantly, why? 3) It looks like a very good representation of TK armour. It may be missing a few rivets, snaps or buckles here or there, but these are easily added if I choose to. Is the basic armour still acceptable for 501st? 4) I think the armour comes with a complete solid / ABS belt. (main bad point I've noticed) This will be confirmed once I open the boxes. Was the movie TK armour only supplied with a fabric rear portion? It is hard to discern in movie stills. Sometimes it looks like fabric, other times it seems to solid and plastic like Thanks for any help you can provide. Dave (Hopefully future TK.........something.... something ......something......)
  17. not anytime soon gotta finish the dh17
  18. Hi Michael, Firstly, you’re documenting this well so keep up the good work. I can see that responses are a little thin on the ground at the moment and, to be honest, I would imagine that it’s because many of us are not overly familiar with the FX armour these days. I would put myself in this category so please don’t go cutting your armour just based on the below. To my eye, it looks like you could possibly lose approx an inch from the bottom of the butt plate. This would allow it to come down by that inch, allowing more room for the kidney. The back plate, as you mentioned, is quite oversized. Again, perhaps an inch could be lost from the bottom of it. From the front, I wonder if you could potentially lose and inch or so from the neck and shoulder tabs? This would allow the chest to lift up by an inch and give a little more room over the ab. Otherwise, leaving as it might be okay. Perhaps check with your Garrison’s GML regarding basic approval. :-)
  19. Don’t know what you been told but back plate overlap is approvable, what you have there is good to go If it’s a matter of the back plate ”stickning out” at the bottom and your GML calls you on it just use some strapping to the kidney or run straps back to chest, just make sure it goes high enough not to be seen agains the ab/kidney
  20. I posted this last post on FISD facebook page. While I am grateful for tips and comments, it is a little discouraging because I was feeling really good about fit before heading to bed. I am still sticking to the May 17 deadline. I would appreciate any suggestions or direction on what to do to get basic approval. If you are in the Metro-Detroit area and willing to meet up and provide some hands on guidance and help, food and possibly tasty adult beverages could be supplied. Getting this done has been on my to do list TOOOOOOO LOOOOOONG. I am determined to get it done and done right AND by MAY 17! Here are additional notes and information I have determined over the last couple months thanks to TK-76239, who btw has be extremely helpful: 1. When compairing my FX kit to an ANOVOS kit: a. the butt plate and kidney plate are the same exact size. b. the chest plate and back plate on the FX kit are larger, I would say estimated up to an inch longer. This may be contributing to the chest and back plate alignments above. 2. On the facebook page, it was suggested to heat the back plate tabs so they are less obtuse. IF they were a smaller curve, this would pull the back plate up. - This armor was made in 2005. It was stored in cool basement, but it is possible that over time packed in the box in same position that the tabs could have relaxed. - Nervous to use heat gun to shape parts. I nearly ruined one of my forearm trying to reshape it. Luckily, I was able to use boiling water technique to fix back to acceptable level. 3. I found a thread on this site on suggested cut lines for FX kit for chest and back plate, but I did not follow it and now can't find it. If anyone knows what I am talking about, the link would be appreciated. 4. I have AP helmet I bought to use for approval with armor. At this point, I am looking for direction to get approved with what I have. I don't have the budget to buy a new kit at this time.
  21. Thanks. I am planning to use files as suggested to square off corner. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  22. Welcome the the wide world of White Armor! Jim Moser TK50899
  23. You'll sweat off 2lbs on your first troop
  24. Almost done with this thing
  1. Load more activity