HOW TO – CONNECT E-11 Holster to Canvas TK, TD, or TX belts using Jean Rivets

mr0072003

Hi everyone, as promised I have set to do another How To and place them here to the forums. I just feel it’s the least I can do to give back to a community that has given back to me on this project. So lets get started.

As with much of this build I found that the stuff I thought in my head would be easy, turned out to be harder or more steps than I thought. So with attaching the belt I thought it would be easy (and it is, after research) but when I started to actually think about how to do it and where to get snaps rivits etc, I noticed I have no clue what I am doing. I searched and found many post on what to do as far as how to attach a holster, but never did I find one that actaully showed how to do it or what they used and where they got the supplies from . So here it goes.

Things you will need.

1. Rubber Mallet or Hammer - (Home Depot, LOWES, etc)

2. Jean Rivets (5/16 or 7.9mm) – (Michael’s)

3. Jean Rivet tool Kit - (Michael’s)

4. TK Style Holster – (www.StormTrooperundersuit.com)

5. Canvas Belt – (www.Trooperbay.com)

Step 1 .

First thing that needed to de done for my particular holster that I received from www.stormtrooperundersuit.com was to cut off the loop portion so its no longer a loop in two places on both sides.

Here is what the holster looks like.

DZcip2x.jpg

Here is the loop part we will be cutting.

rwpEOSe.jpg

Here is the first portion that I had to cut, this is the one closest to the rivet that is connected to the base of the holster.

R13NXyz.jpg

Here is where I cut on the second part. It's where the loops folds over.

hppVJNM.jpg

Here it is after both pieces are cut off leaving you with only one piece. Repeat to the other strap on the ohter side.

iZXKO6F.jpg

Step 2 –

Now that you have it all cut up and left with a single strap on both sides, we can now begin to test out the placement of where you want to place your Holster. Here is when you can decide whether or not you are going to ANAH STUNT (has only 2 rivets to hold in place) or be a ANH HERO (version that has 4 RIVETS. Please note that whatever way you decide to go, the holster is to be attached the holster with rivets from Behind the canvas belt.

Here is a pic of my placing the holster behind my belt and trying to find the best place to attach the holster.

qMr93DR.jpg

Step 3 – Now that you have figured out where you are going to place your holster, you need to attach it to the belt. And this is where I started to get stuck. As I read and researched I noticed that people were using split rivets, snaps with rivet style backings, even Chicago Screws. I was overwhelemed at what road to take and having no luck finding split rivets (except for online). So a trip to Michael’s ( I was looking for a hobby anvil) I found something that looked like exactly I was looking for.

Here it is – Jean Rivets

GMMJ02m.jpg

Then I realized that I would need some sort of tool to attach these, (like snap systems does) and sure enough right next to the Jean Rivets was the Jean Rivet tool kit.

Here it is – Jean Rivet Tool Kit

ExqOGbQ.jpg

I bought them both and took a chance that they would match the rivets on the holster already. So when I got home and checked the size against what was on the holster, I was happy to know that they were an EXACT match.

Here is a pic of comparing the rivet on the holster to what I bought. Pretty close right?

BzKTYJx.jpg

Here are the rivets front and back before attaching them.

yLvqBU3.jpg

OK so lets attach them!

First thing you need to do is to hole punch a hole in the canvas belt and holster strap at the same time. You can use the hole punch tool that came with your Jean Rivet kit..

Here is a pic of the hole puncher

rD2mufI.jpg

Then you attach the hole puncher to the plastic holder that also came with the Rivet Kit.

Like this

LgmgB5g.jpg

Now place your hole puncher to the area you want to attach with rivet against the top of the canvas belt and the holster strap directly behind it (placed where you want it) so that we can punch a hole through the Canvas belt and holster at the same time. Like so

OyWsgJu.jpg

Using your mallet or hammer begin to punch the hole puncher through the belt and holster. Use a hard surface.

OYhqDD2.jpg

It should end up looking like this once it’s through.

KE8Io4X.jpg

Step 4 -

Now that the hole has been punched through both the Holster straps and the Canvas belt, and make sure you can push through the male portion of the Jean rivet like so and that there is enough room for the female portion to snap it together.

KE8Io4X.jpg

Now that you have verified that the male part pushes throught the holes, we can use our plastic tool and two rubber/metal groumets that are used to punch the Jean rivets together. (comes in the kit)

Here are the groumets and plastic tool.

semFb4Q.jpg

You will need to attach the groumets to the holes on the plastic tool .

Like this - Notice that one groumet has a dent in it.

h9zKdPm.jpg

Now we need to add the Female part of the Jean rivet to the groumet that has the dent in it the male portion on the other side

Like so:

sLYHwTO.jpg

Step 5

Now lets punch the rivets so that we can attach the holster and belt together. So lets pinch the plastic tool with the rivets inside them to the holster and belt. Like this

FNj9FiF.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020

Part 2 -

Step 6

Now that we have pinched the plastic tool to the holster and belt; Using the Mallet/Hammer, and hammer the tool together so that they can picnh the rivets together.

Like this:

GZo9kVJ.jpg

Once you have hemmared and piucned the the rivets in place you can remove the plasti tool and the rivets are now in place like this.

Here is the front

Xqo6F9u.jpg

Here is the back

EH8fdAM.jpg

Repeat these steps to both sides and your holster will look like this. ( I went ANH STUNT)

JDxRCWD.jpg

I hope this helps some one out there.

Edited by Sly11

You put the rivets in the wrong end of the belt. They should sit near the bottom, not the top. Maybe you TX guys do this differently, but for ANH this placement is incorrect.

Also the gap between the holster and belt should be 1inch (2.5cm). Would only work for ANH belts, the ESB & ROTJ attachment differs.

Here is the fixing of the holster most use for ANH

gallery_12157_50_43228.jpg

Some nice examples of the difference in straps and holsters in Vern's for sàle thread http://www.whitearmo...t-ongoing-runs/

Edited by gmrhodes13

This is a nice step by step tutorial.

The rivet should however be punched lower down into the belt and holster loops as per this pic.

f9wIpZY.jpg

The ANH screen used rivet was a large pop rivet with a hole in.

Edited by Sly11

On 1/16/2013 at 5:34 PM, FunkyTrigger said:

The rivet should however be punched lower down into the belt and holster loops as per this pic.

f9wIpZY.jpg

The ANH screen used rivet was a large pop rivet with a hole in.

the attachment should be with a rivet or a chicago screw.

the placement in this photo is incorrect.

JDxRCWD.jpg

jean rivets were not used in star wars to attach the holster to the belt.

your holster design is also incorrect. there should be only one part of leather sewn on only one seam.

and the distance is not correct from the belt to the holster.

there is FAR too much sewing on your holster. it looks like every aspect of the holster has been sewn?

I make holsters... and I've never seen a holster with sewn top washers.

this design needs to be completely checked with your local GML.

if it were my decision, I would say burn the holster and fix the corners of your plastic belt.

the paintjob on the plastic belt is very rough... and it has the incorrect corners

the corners of a plastic belt are not 90degrees.

This tutorial should be rejected for lack of accuracy.

Edited by Sly11

It was a good tutorial. Just not accurate in the details. But that shouldn't stop you from making a new one if you like. Don't let our nitpicking discourage you. :)

It was a good tutorial. Just not accurate in the details. But that shouldn't stop you from making a new one if you like. Don't let our nitpicking discourage you. :)

Its a bit discouraging, as I left it open for people to decide where to place it, but that was not clear enough. Also on the TX CRL even the TK CRL, none of the above info is noted. The link with the pic of where to place the Holster is a great reference guide and would have totally followed it, but again that pic was no where to be found in the CRL nor in any how to that I could find. Exactly why I started this thread. Ii may have not looked good enough though and thanks for posting as it could help someone and I hope that some here can post that in the HOW TO section even the TUT section, as something this specific should be archived.

As for the holster, it was bought from stromtrooperundersuit.com - Do they sell non approvable holsters? Its seems that the guy that sells Holsters here (Vern) on the forums said it was all wrong (i believe him too) but I am erked a little if its not an approvable holster. :6:

Vern - The paint is fine on the belt, (in fact its not even painted) its just has lots of greasy finger prints on them :P , just needs a good wipe down and should be nice and shiny again.

As for the corners, that was going to be my next question, as in the TX CRL its not specified at all. (not even for centorioun) so I was not sure if its ok for TX to have that angle.

We don't deal much with TX stuff here, and their CRL is not under our control so to speak. But assuming that a TX is modelled after an ANH stunt but black then some parts are transferable. The holster isn't very clearly defined in the CRL, but a specific look, that Verns (and others) have emulated with the help of TM's holster pattern has become the de facto standard, and it is very close to the original holsters in size and shape.

We don't deal much with TX stuff here, and their CRL is not under our control so to speak. But assuming that a TX is modelled after an ANH stunt but black then some parts are transferable. The holster isn't very clearly defined in the CRL, but a specific look, that Verns (and others) have emulated with the help of TM's holster pattern has become the de facto standard, and it is very close to the original holsters in size and shape.

Thanks Loctis. I will most likely buy next Holster (when I actually make a TK suit) from vern (his look really nice) and go from there. I have been using the TK CRL for ANH STUNT as a reference when I dont know what to do about the TX. AGain this community is great and I thank you for the input. I may redo this HOW TO and change it to how to attach your holster for ANH HERO style, (add the two other rivets) but use the GUIDE posted by gmrohdes as the actually were and how to PLACE the belt.

the attachment should be with a rivet or a chicago screw.

They used pop rivets. Here are some pictures highlighting this on RS's holster. I wish I had better pictures, but since you provide no evidence to support your claims for chicago screws, at least these are better than none.

captur16.jpg

41088710150642328409333.jpg

25627742731803730735965.jpg

They used pop rivets. Here are some pictures highlighting this on RS's holster. I wish I had better pictures, but since you provide no evidence to support your claims for chicago screws, at least these are better than none.

captur16.jpg

41088710150642328409333.jpg

25627742731803730735965.jpg

Thanks for the reference pics! The reason I mentioned Chicago screws is because it’s mentioned as a requirement for 501 approval (if used), which is stated on the 501 CRL and could be why Vern mentions them. I know on some other build threads people were using them. This why I used Jean rivets, as they look closely similar and matched more closely to the rivet already on the Holster. Again apologies to all and I hope the mods can just delete this thread as I don’t want to already be banned and I have not even applied for 501 approval. :P

Here is the excerpt from the 501 CRL

Holster

For 501st approval:

• Holster is worn on left side of belt. It must be made of black leather or leather-like material, and must be attached via two leather or leather-like material straps to the belt from behind instead of front, with no loops covering the outside of the belt.
  • The holster must be affixed with only two fasteners at the bottom (one per strap). The fasteners may be rivets, snaps, or Chicago screws.

Edited by mr0072003

chicago screws emulate rivets! it simply allows for exchange of parts and cleaning the belt.

the belt plastic should be angled at the corners!

of course rivets were used on the originals but they were not intended for trooping.. only shooting a film

any holster will do in this situation that only has leather folded over and sewn along one seam

d day darman and II all have different ways of making the TM pattern

simply get a holster and do a TX tutorial showing pop rivets or chigago screws and we have a winner!

we nit pick each other all the time around here it's just part of the hobby!

:popcorn: we watch with accuracy in mind... have fun and be TX proud!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392