Commercial vs. Fan made

I have seen an increasing amount of people asking about comercial available armour that is "ready to wear" and its aprovability, vs. the fan made armour, that you must assemble yourself.

I have been down both alleys, and wanted to show you all the difference between theese types of armour.

So here is some comparison shots of my Jedirobe/stormtroopercostumes armour that I got "ready to wear and 501st replica" compared to my newly assembled TM.

The left is the jedirobe, out of the box. In the middle, its been modified to be 501st approved and on the right is my TM.

kXwEwVs.jpg

86wmeMl.jpg

cdU91tF.jpg

aMCxQGD.jpg

JD1E0QV.jpg

And just to let you know, it took more time to modify the Jedirobe armour to a basic 501st standard, than it did to make the TM EIB approved!

Also, the cost of the jedirobe armour is far greater than the TM!!!

Also the Jedirobe armour is made of some kind of styrene plastic(I glued it together wiith hobby glue!!), that easily cracks, and the TM is ABS plastic.

But here you have it.

Hope its usefull to someone out there.

EDIT:--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I also nearly made the mistake of going down the Jedirobe route. I'm working on my own armour right now from a friend you has formed most of it for me. It may not be 100% screen accurate but damn it looks a hell of a lot better the JR. Pics will be posted when it's finished one day

• 2 weeks later...

As theres a chance I might get rid of my Jedi-Robe/Stormtroppercostumes armour at an upcoming event, I took some pictures of the individual parts to show you all. Be adviced that this is after modding it for 501st, and this was before modding of the chest was added to the CRL.

They are uploaded to-----------(also put link in first post)

I will make a similar album with TM parts at a later time.

Cheers

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at a "ready to wear" shadow trooper suit from Jedi-Robe and I was told not to buy from them but nobody could tell me why, finally I gave in and started looking elsewhere. This puts in perspective, glad I didn't go with them. Good visual reference. Thank you

Wow I'm another guy who came SO close to buying a Jedi Robe outfit and SO glad I spent hours and hours researching instead of pulling out the credit card. Now I'm beyond thrilled with my TM ESB armor!! Happy Trooping! :)

Great Thread! I know we all have our preferences (TM for me) and beauty is in the eye of beholder, but, this thread should be the first thing any new recruit see's before anything else.

I started off with an overpriced sub-standard suit, fine on a manequin, but not clearable. It took a while to get my TM but worth the wait :0) The worst part about the Jedi Robe is the price!!! If it could be used as a starter kit fair enough but, It's a lot of money and not particularly well built.

It's a shame Uncle George didn't try to close JR down as well as SDS and or endorse one of the top armourers...lets face it the Rubies is horrible too, even worse in the flesh!!!

But we shouldn't forget that it is also true that a really great trooper will make it come alive, and for most kids out there just see a Stormtooper. We should also remember to not be too elitist...which ain't easy either.

• 1 month later...

toooo late i got a jedi robe. what would you advise me to do with my armour, should i get rid of it and get one that is correct from the start.

the guy told me this is one of the most accurate armour on the market and you have to watch out for crap armour, i thought i was doing the right thing but it looks like i have done the worst thing i feel a bit sick now ;-( as you can see i need some advice

Did you buy it from Jedirobe directly?

In that case you can send it back and demand a refund.

If you got it from someone privatly, I'm not sure what you can do about it.

toooo late i got a jedi robe. what would you advise me to do with my armour, should i get rid of it and get one that is correct from the start.

the guy told me this is one of the most accurate armour on the market and you have to watch out for crap armour, i thought i was doing the right thing but it looks like i have done the worst thing i feel a bit sick now ;-( as you can see i need some advice

Do nothing with the armour, and fight for a return to get the cash back. You may loose out on some of the shipping costs, but it's better than keeping the armour.

Remember that they state this is 501st approvable, and it isnt out of the box, so thats false marketing, and you should use that when asking for a refund.

hi all thanks for the advice but i have done a few things like put some snap on domes instead of velcro, i have changed the lenses to green ones , i have had it on as well so i think the return option is out so whats the next step from here shall i sell it on ebay or try and modify it to 501st if pos. im stuck in the middle here ;-(

jim

As bad as it sounds, I would try to sell it on ebay. You will probably take a loss, but you might be able to sell it to someone with lower ambitions than 501st.