RT-MOD / FX Helmet Comparison

Mornin James, I don't know about RT-mod specifically, but if you type helmet comparison in the search bar there is one thread in particular that shows 3 different types of helmets side by side. The FX helmet looks freakishly large next to the other 2 ... I'm thinking that RT-mod might be the middle helmet in the pic, but not sure. In any case, RT-mod is still slightly larger than movie accurate, but nowhere near as big as FX!

Hope this helps, have a great day...

Matt

*** Hey again James ... just looked at that thread again myself ...you'll actually want to search for helmet comparisons ...plural ... but may be a moot point ... comparison is between FX / TM / APA

Edited by mailman70

On 12/6/2011 at 11:29 PM, carbonitekid said:

Gimme 5.

I have a pic somewhere.

As promised:

Don post: rtmod circa 07: FX

bATBiAB.jpg

TphkZaw.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

Once you get in to TE derived helmets (TE,TE2,ATA,AP,T/MC,CAP,CAP-W,MTK,etc.) they are all pretty equivalent in size, and how "big" they are will depend more on the particular pull and how it's trimmed/assembled than anything else. Of the TE ones IMHO the TE2 is perhaps the largest and ATA the smallest,but again depending on how you trim/assemble you can make TE2 smaller than ATA.

RT is a little bit bigger than TE type helmets, as are TM's.

Whenever I see an FX from the side I think:

"I couldn't help it. It just popped in there."

"We've been doing this all wrong. Mr. staypuft is okay.... he's a sailor... he's in New York..."

------http://www.awesomeoff.com/images/entries2/mainview/staypuft2.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

If you want my two cents, I have an RT-Mod suit and helmet. If I were to do it again, I would have gotton the RT suit, but I would have gone with one of the TE derived lids. The 2 things that bother me about the RT lid, is #1, the frown is flat rather than "bumpy", and #2, the cap and back is two pieces.

Everytime I see an FX lid while trooping, I just think, man...I wish I had the funds to give that trooper a proper bucket....Same with the MR bucket...ewwww...... :blush:

Sorry troopers....just an opinion.

If you want my two cents, I have an RT-Mod suit and helmet. If I were to do it again, I would have gotton the RT suit, but I would have gone with one of the TE derived lids. The 2 things that bother me about the RT lid, is #1, the frown is flat rather than "bumpy", and #2, the cap and back is two pieces.

As another RT-MOD trooper I agree. I went with the RT-MOD lid out of lazyness mostly... it was already assembled... and looks damn good on me too. Although in the 12 months of my time on FISD (most of it waiting saving money or waiting for my armor to arrive) I slowly became enamoured with the bumpy warped look of a screen derived bucket. I didn't know it was going to happen but now when I look at my RT-MOD idealized I yearn for a better looking helmet.

So if screen accuracy is important to you (you may not know it is yet) and you've got the motivation to assemble it... I suggest grabbing an AP, ATA, MTK or another readily available kit.

Aloha,

-Eric

So if screen accuracy is important to you (you may not know it is yet) ...

heh .. I'm afraid I feel a fever coming on ...

One big concern is the finish. I don't want the lid to look like spare parts with the AM/FX armor.

Everytime I see an FX lid while trooping, I just think, man...I wish I had the funds to give that trooper a proper bucket....Same with the MR bucket...ewwww...... :blush:

Sorry troopers....just an opinion.

I appreciate the input. I don't quite get the observation about the flat vs. bumpy frown though? Can you expand on that a bit?

On 12/7/2011 at 12:41 PM, James said:

I appreciate the input. I don't quite get the observation about the flat vs. bumpy frown though? Can you expand on that a bit?

I'm going to try and guess what soldermaster is trying to say.... with a craptacular iphone camera...

Here's my RT-MOD frown:

Image link broken and unrecoverable 

Here's a photo from starwarshelmets.com of the Brian R helmet:

Also from starwarshelmets.com check out the Dave M helmet:

The first think you notice is that the teeth aren't set back quite as far or deep as the original stunt helmets. The "lips" (for lack of a better way to explain) are thicker.

Also the way Rob trims the teeth... they are flat and squared off rather than rounded and chicklet-esque.

Soldermaster? Is that what you meant?

Aloha,

-Eric

• 4 weeks later...

As to the 'flat' teeth issue:

'Tis true the teeth were kinda flat. A function of using thick (.090) ABS. A different, thinner material like the Styrene or HIPS would eliminate the lack of tooth detail but I chose to stick with ABS for it's durability and finish.

Now you may have noticed above I said 'were' flat. You folks spoke and I listened and after some trial and error with different approaches I have come up with a solution that now produces the beloved 'rounded' teeth yet still has the quality and weight of being and ABS helmet. I will endeavor to post a pic or two when I return home after the new year.

Rob! So great to see you here.

I have a few other suggestions to make your helmets even better... all minor things...

• Decals that have the hand painted-esque look (see trooperbay.com)
  • S-trim rather than the black u-shaped gasket around the neck opening
  • Green lens material
  • A third screw at the bottom of the ear instead of a rivet
  • Flattter head flathead screws for the ears

Thanks man... I love my RT-MOD armor so very very much.

Aloha,

-Eric

ZacMuleer recently asked me how big the opening was in my RT bucket. It sounds like he has a buddy with a giant squash.

I contend that any helmet can be trimmed to have a wider opening. Really its not as if you put your helmet on directly over your head. In addition to twisting it you can tilt it to one side to increase the size of the opening if your head is slightly wider than the narrowest point. This could be a problem if you had an Andre the Giant sized cranium.

Either way.... Rob trimmed this helmet with an opening 9.5" x 7.5" Even on this pre-trimmed pre-assembled helmet, that 7.5" measurement could easily grow with the application of some lexan scissors.

I hope this helps.

Aloha,

-Eric